Toe infection

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Has anyone delt with toe infections? My cham broke a couple toenails off that I missed while he was outside. Acted normal and I just overlooked it unfortunately(my mistake, should be checking more frequently). It scabbed over and doesn't have any pus, but there is a bit of swelling which has remained, though it was worse. I was told to soak/wipe his foot with iodine, so I've been doing that. He hasn't eaten in a little while now, but this is also the time of year he slows down. I'm not sure if I should 'force'(sneak a bug in his mouth) feed him or not. Dropped a little weight and I think it is probably from pain. Vet appt will take a little time to get.

My boy Spike lost a toenail before he came to me and the previous owner took him to the vet twice and was treating him but it never improved. The previous owner said if I would take him to my vet, Dr. Mader, that I could just have Spike. The infection had moved up his leg into his knee and ate away his entire knee bone. Dr. Mader opened it up and cleaned it out and was able to save his leg, however he did have a long recovery.

Thank you both, just who I like to hear from. @jannb that's scary... you don't happen to know a good vet in pittsburgh? I've been to a few, not terrible, but not very specialized with chams.

It seems everything external is healed up, but I'm afraid the infection could be inside the foot.

Here's pics. Sorry I should have been more clear, there's no pus visible coming out. Everything is scabbed over/healed on the outside, but obviously can't tell what's going on inside.

Attachments

• 20210930_133038.jpg
    20210930_133038.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210930_133102.jpg
    20210930_133102.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for the clarification!

Chameleon pus is like cottage cheese in texture...not more liquid like humans and some other animals. It can be squeezed out of toes by a vet but it's better if its cleaned out properly and flushed ...and tested to see what antibiotic to put the chameleon on. Most often, the bacteria involved is pseudomonas but there can be other bacteria involved...but most are opportunistic and can sneak back in if not cleaned out well enough.

More in a few minutes...I have to look for links. 😏

Thanks for the clarification!

Chameleon pus is like cottage cheese in texture...not more liquid like humans and some other animals. It can be squeezed out of toes by a vet but it's better if its cleaned out properly and flushed ...and tested to see what antibiotic to put the chameleon on. Most often, the bacteria involved is pseudomonas but there can be other bacteria involved...but most are opportunistic and can sneak back in if not cleaned out well enough.

More in a few minutes...I have to look for links. 😏
Really appreciate it! Now to find a vet that isn't crazy expensive and is available soon...

"A number of species of bacteria, often more than one kind at a time, can be present in abscesses in reptiles. Small, localized abscesses should be surgically removed to avoid recurrence, which happens frequently. Larger abscesses should be surgically opened and drained. Appropriate antibiotics may be needed"...
"It is important to determine the type of bacteria involved and also to correct environmental and nutritional deficiencies that contribute to poor health. Antibiotic treatment will not be successful unless nutrition, environment, and sanitation are also corrected"...

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/all-other-pets/reptiles/disorders-and-diseases-of-reptiles

"A number of species of bacteria, often more than one kind at a time, can be present in abscesses in reptiles. Small, localized abscesses should be surgically removed to avoid recurrence, which happens frequently. Larger abscesses should be surgically opened and drained. Appropriate antibiotics may be needed"...
"It is important to determine the type of bacteria involved and also to correct environmental and nutritional deficiencies that contribute to poor health. Antibiotic treatment will not be successful unless nutrition, environment, and sanitation are also corrected"...

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/all-other-pets/reptiles/disorders-and-diseases-of-reptiles
Looks to be what's going on. It's pretty small relatively speaking, but I'm scared of what the vet bill is going to be. And outside of that, we don't seem to have many vets around here that have worked with chams, or are even available any time soon. We have an emergency vet office, but they are soooo expensive. Our cat cost nearly 10 grand a few years back there.

Thank you both, just who I like to hear from. @jannb that's scary... you don't happen to know a good vet in pittsburgh? I've been to a few, not terrible, but not very specialized with chams.

It seems everything external is healed up, but I'm afraid the infection could be inside the foot.

A member here that use to keep chameleons, used this vet.
VCA Northview Animal Hospital Specialty Referral Center
223 Siebert Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15237 (412) 364-5353

Have called like 8 different vets at this point, either don't see chameleons or aren't available for 2 months
The vet I got into I called every morning the minute they opened to see if they have cancellations from the day / night before. Could be a helpful strategy as long as they aren't super far away from you.

Good luck on your search. Good cham vets are so hard to find.

The vet I got into I called every morning the minute they opened to see if they have cancellations from the day / night before. Could be a helpful strategy as long as they aren't super far away from you.

Good luck on your search. Good cham vets are so hard to find.
That's what I was thinking, problem is, almost all of them don't even take chameleons. The one that is a 2 month wait, they said they would try to make an exception for me or look for cancellations, but the vet isn't in town for the next couple weeks so it'd have to be then at the earliest 🙁

Back
Top Bottom