Toe infection

The vet I got into I called every morning the minute they opened to see if they have cancellations from the day / night before. Could be a helpful strategy as long as they aren't super far away from you.

Good luck on your search. Good cham vets are so hard to find.
This is true- i've had to do this more than once. Most vet offices keep emergency slots open for exactly that reason - so that people who call in the AM with an emergency can squeeze in. My vets would tell me to call at 8 am on the dot to try to snag the slot for that day.

I mentioned SEAVS, but they are 6 hours away...but was hoping maybe they'd do a televisit. Anyone else know of anyone doing Televisits during the COVID stuff? People Docs are, so hoping there are some chameleon docs out there doing the same.

Curious what experience others have had with Reptaid. I keep it on hand as an emergency elixir... there is a lot of positive feedback on it as an herbal remedy for a lot of issues...but not much research on it otherwise. My vet was surprised to see a level of alcohol in it (pain relief and stabilizer, are my guesses for why its in there). The rest of the ingredients are various herbal extracts. I believe @AmandaS or maybe it was @janjan20 had great success with using it to treat a parasite in newborn chams, who were otherwise too young to be treated with the more common meds. So I would give that a try on a short term basis to see if it helps relieve his pain and inflammation a bit.

This is true- i've had to do this more than once. Most vet offices keep emergency slots open for exactly that reason - so that people who call in the AM with an emergency can squeeze in. My vets would tell me to call at 8 am on the dot to try to snag the slot for that day.

I mentioned SEAVS, but they are 6 hours away...but was hoping maybe they'd do a televisit. Anyone else know of anyone doing Televisits during the COVID stuff? People Docs are, so hoping there are some chameleon docs out there doing the same.

Curious what experience others have had with Reptaid. I keep it on hand as an emergency elixir... there is a lot of positive feedback on it as an herbal remedy for a lot of issues...but not much research on it otherwise. My vet was surprised to see a level of alcohol in it (pain relief and stabilizer, are my guesses for why its in there). The rest of the ingredients are various herbal extracts. I believe @AmandaS or maybe it was @janjan20 had great success with using it to treat a parasite in newborn chams, who were otherwise too young to be treated with the more common meds. So I would give that a try on a short term basis to see if it helps relieve his pain and inflammation a bit.
I did not ever have to do that, thank God. Hopefully @janjancan give you more info.

My google powers are failing me, but there have been multiple accounts of parsons getting foot treatment just because of how heavy they are, they tear up the foot pads. But i cant find the treatment. If you want to drive to northern ohio, i do have 2 doctors that treat chameleons.

http://sharoncentervethospital.vetstreet.com/our_staff.html

Poor nathan had to put a cast on my hamster like his first year practicing.

He was trained by riggs, who was paid $$$ to keep my water dragons alive.
https://www.exoticpetvets.com/about-us-2/

Yes it was me! I do keep a bottle for emergencies. I used it for coccidia but I haven’t had to use it for emergencies for any of the chams recently. I have used it several times for RI for my soft shell turtle as well as abscess relief. So far so good, he is 21 y/o...
If you did buy some you would have to get the XL formula?

Yes it was me! I do keep a bottle for emergencies. I used it for coccidia but I haven’t had to use it for emergencies for any of the chams recently. I have used it several times for RI for my soft shell turtle as well as abscess relief. So far so good, he is 21 y/o...
If you did buy some you would have to get the XL formula?
Do you give this orally or can you use it as a soak for affected parts of the body?

Fingers crossed you get into a vet. 2 hours is a long drive but worth it in this case for an experienced vet...and hopefully you can get a quote in advance and it's affordable. Sorry you and your cham are going through this, James!

Fingers crossed you get into a vet. 2 hours is a long drive but worth it in this case for an experienced vet...and hopefully you can get a quote in advance and it's affordable. Sorry you and your cham are going through this, James!

It's not the drive that bothers me so much, it's that I don't have the time 😕

The good news is, he is drinking fine, looks pretty good today and is even moving around. I opened his mouth and put a roach in 2 days ago since he was on a long hunter strike that I was afraid wouldn't break if he was in pain from his foot. The swelling isn't bad and looks to have gone down a bit... going to give him that reptiaid and probably have to wait the few weeks to get him in somewhere since it seems that's my only option.

Well damn, finally got a hold of my regular vet's office just now... says the exotic vet is out of town, I'm thinking oh no won't get an appt for a long time... well she got me in this monday. Feeling very hopeful now, with proper treatment he should recover just fine. I had this happen once before a year ago(thought I fixed this issue with the screen after months of no problems, so I overlooked it this time), but cleaning it and applying manuka honey healed it fast.

Note to self and anyone else, do foot checks even if everything is fine, especially with large species. I got lazy and stopped checking... chams have a way of always finding a way into things they shouldn't heh. In this case, climbing the one corner of tight overlapping screen that wasn't covered up.

Well damn, finally got a hold of my regular vet's office just now... says the exotic vet is out of town, I'm thinking oh no won't get an appt for a long time... well she got me in this monday. Feeling very hopeful now, with proper treatment he should recover just fine. I had this happen once before a year ago(thought I fixed this issue with the screen after months of no problems, so I overlooked it this time), but cleaning it and applying manuka honey healed it fast.

Note to self and anyone else, do foot checks even if everything is fine, especially with large species. I got lazy and stopped checking... chams have a way of always finding a way into things they shouldn't heh. In this case, climbing the one corner of tight overlapping screen that wasn't covered up.

Fantastic news. Glad you were persistent with calling the vets as well. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom