to much food?

grimlin18

its it to much to feed my cham 15 crickets and 2 butterworms in one day? or should i feed him 2 butter worms and less crickets? hes 3 months old.

for a growing chameleon no, that seems normal. they start to taper off with the amount of food after nine months, at least mine did, where as then he gets like six to eight every day or every other day.

if hes leaving them in the cage they can attack him. I feed mine 10 crickets (7mths old) but in 2 meals. Sometimes he eats them all sometimes they stay for breakfast.
I think butterworms are mostly fat and thus not good.

I think butterworms are mostly fat and thus not good.

False! Butterworms are very high in calcium and are very good feeders! I think you're thinking of waxworms, which are very fatty. Although a butterworm every day may a little too much because they do have more fat than crickets (but lots of very beneficial calcium!). Maybe just every other day for those would be more appropriate. Good feeder, but no single worm species should comprise more than 20% of the diet.

I agree with Ferrit.
Butterworms are a good feeder option, though I would not offer daily. Mix up the choices as much as possible, meaning dont just use butterworms and crickets. Consider adding some small silkworms, an occassional small superworm, perhaps some roach nymphs, or cultured (not wild) blue bottle flies, or a small stick bug or terrestrial isopod. Aim to have no one feeder make up more than 20% of your chameleons diet if possible. If you can achieve that, use more crickets (well gutloaded) than butterworms. For a chameleon that young, you can feed it as much as it can eat within about 5 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. So that could be 15 crickets plus a larva of some sort, depending on the size of the crickets.

yeah i'm currently feeding crickets everday. 2 butterworms every other day. and house flys every other day. i dont really have access to any other type of worm or roaches. the reptile store by my house sells superworms but they are to big since my cham is only 3 months old.

yeah i'm currently feeding crickets everday. 2 butterworms every other day. and house flys every other day. i dont really have access to any other type of worm or roaches. the reptile store by my house sells superworms but they are to big since my cham is only 3 months old.

Careful using wild housefiles.
At three months they will often still accept cultured flightless fruit flies.

You might find ordering bugs online provides you more options than your local shop:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/171-where-buy-feeders-online.html

Wild houseflies are essentially gut loading with garbage, dead things, chemicals, etc. You don't want to feed something with nasty feeding habits to your cham when you don't know what they were eating before you fed them off. Flies are good, but much safer if captive raised!

Coastal silkworms is close to you, very reliable, great to do business with.
I am telling her that I tell people here how great they are to do business with, maybe they will become a sponsor.
silks, hornworms I feed both to mine plus crix

Back
Top Bottom