Time to stop lurking

Kiwi’s Keeper

Hello to everyone! I’ve been flying through everything on here for tips and tricks for some time now, so thank you to all who have shared their knowledge here. I live in climate zone 8b, and was wondering if anyone had experience keeping either veiled or panther chameleon’s in outside enclosures. I live in College Station, TX, and as of 6/3/22 the temp/humidity currently is 88°F and 47%. (Usually runs higher in humidity in this area). I have an indoor housed veiled, but they will most likely stay indoors indefinitely. Just curious if my area is favorable for such a project. Thanks again! Also, below is Kiwi😄

Attachments

• C00BA41F-718A-4816-B6E0-B8EA7BC72654.jpeg
    C00BA41F-718A-4816-B6E0-B8EA7BC72654.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 61
I think it could work. You said humidity is usually higher. So I'm thinking as long as you water the outside enclosure periodically during the daytime and keep it moist it might be a go. Guessing the humidity goes up at night to 70%?

It can often times slip a bit higher, but yes we stay anywhere from 40-60% daily and I’d guess around 70-80% at night. Also, if anyone had recommendations for panther breeders in the Texas, I’m all ears. I’m moving places in august and am looking to potentially add some new members to the Cham fam.

Welcome to the forum!

Just be really cautious with temps... Females specifically we recommend no hotter than 78-80. This with a reduced diet ensures that clutch size will be smaller. Which in turn means a longer life span. Females with large clutches tend to have many more reproductive issues including egg binding.

So your saying temps are 87 right now outside... In full sun this is going to be so much hotter though.

When we talk about humidity we are looking for a specific range for daytime vs night. Also night time humidity has more to do with another hydration option. Because cool temps and humidity create a way for them to hydrate. Daytime humidity with Veileds becomes a situation where they are much more tolerant. Granted your recommended levels are 40-50%. However they do fine down in the 30% range as well. Once you start getting into higher humidity levels you just have to make sure there is air flow. Outdoors vs indoors with humidity are two different worlds just for the simple fact of total airflow.

Per breeders... I would not be afraid of having one shipped to you. A good breeder will look at all parameters in shipping including temps. I really like framschams, ipardalis, and Kammerflage for panthers. All three are wonderful breeders and all 3 ship.

Welcome to the forum!

Just be really cautious with temps... Females specifically we recommend no hotter than 78-80. This with a reduced diet ensures that clutch size will be smaller. Which in turn means a longer life span. Females with large clutches tend to have many more reproductive issues including egg binding.

So your saying temps are 87 right now outside... In full sun this is going to be so much hotter though.

When we talk about humidity we are looking for a specific range for daytime vs night. Also night time humidity has more to do with another hydration option. Because cool temps and humidity create a way for them to hydrate. Daytime humidity with Veileds becomes a situation where they are much more tolerant. Granted your recommended levels are 40-50%. However they do fine down in the 30% range as well. Once you start getting into higher humidity levels you just have to make sure there is air flow. Outdoors vs indoors with humidity are two different worlds just for the simple fact of total airflow.

Per breeders... I would not be afraid of having one shipped to you. A good breeder will look at all parameters in shipping including temps. I really like framschams, ipardalis, and Kammerflage for panthers. All three are wonderful breeders and all 3 ship.
Thanks for the advice, lots to consider! I will update the forum in the event I get closer to setting things into motion.

Back
Top Bottom