Time for a new Gutload!!

Saldarya

Established Member
After being a part of a thread where the idea that dry gutloads may have excessive vitamins in them that we cannot account for that may contribute to nutritional issues, I decided to go with a new dry gut load in which I can control specifically what is in it.

For example, in my prior mix, I used cereals like Cherrios and other prepared items that had vitamins such as Vit D & A. Since I don't know how much is there, I have no idea how much is being passed along to the chams.

I know this may sound like splitting hairs, but to be honest, buying everything online the way I did, the cost was not much different, so why not ere on the safe side.

In the new batch, everything is in its pure form and I can then supplement from there anything I may need.

Anyhow, here is the before pic, let the processing begin!!

Bobby!!

How long would it stay fresh enough to use if you dont have a lot of feeders? The reason I ask is because Ive already gathered a lot of those items and just havnt gotten around to making my mix yet. I will only be feeding an average of about 500 crickets and 200-300 supers at any given time.

How long would it stay fresh enough to use if you dont have a lot of feeders? The reason I ask is because Ive already gathered a lot of those items and just havnt gotten around to making my mix yet. I will only be feeding an average of about 500 crickets and 200-300 supers at any given time.

I put the product not mixed in the freezer to help prolong life. Also, the actual mixed product goes into an airtight container.

With that level of feeders, a bulk mix process like this would las ta long time, especially if you also use veggies and such alogn with it.

To give you a comparison, I use this to feed approx 8000 crickets, 2000 SW, 5000 Dubias, 300 Green banana roaches, 100's red runners, various beetles, and other odds and ends that otherwise have specific food needs.

Like I said, the pic above will last me 2.5-3 months feeding every other day.

hey you mind if i use your recipe? haha i've been looking for good "ingredients" to make my own! and what is in the top right of the pic above wheat germ?

$70!?!?! wow You paid too much - looks like you shopped at a health food store?

but great choices of ingredients, except maybe the oats.

remember things like flax seed goes rancid fairly quickly once ground, so only prepare what you need for about a month at a time

$70!?!?! wow You paid too much - looks like you shopped at a health food store?

but great choices of ingredients, except maybe the oats.

remember things like flax seed goes rancid fairly quickly once ground, so only prepare what you need for about a month at a time

perhaps, but that $70 includes shipping due to the fact that I cannot find much of this stuff locally.

Southern Louisiana is not exactly a mecca of healthy eating! :D

Oats are a filler for a lack of better words. I am open suggestions for something else. Keep in mind, I go through ALLOT of this stuff!

I use alfalfa as my "filler" bulk ingredient, because its nutritious and I can buy super cheap in big quantities from a horse/goat/chicken feed type place.

I give you a big thumbs up for doing what it takes to feed the prey well!

Back
Top Bottom