This is why people kill chameleons!

Lingling

When I search "Senegal Chameleon" in Google, the first result that comes up is this: Senegal Chameleons. No wonder so many people who have "done their research" still have so many things wrong with their husbandry. It's too bad that this forum isn't the first result of chameleons searches on google. Here's a couple of my favorite parts of this brilliant little piece of knowledge. I'd bet you that the author has had great success with Senegals! :rolleyes:

Senegal chameleons are great pets because they are easy to care for. A dog or a cat requires hours of playing, feeding and walking. Like any other reptile, most of your time with your Senegal chameleon is dedicated to feeding, cleaning the tank and changing the heating lamp. They are perfect pets for young children; people who love to travel and anyone who is busy. These pets also require little equipment and take up very little space.

Hahaha! Yeah, vacations are a breeze when you've got chameleons! Just leave them a big bowl of water and a couple dozen crickets, right? Or just drop em off to be boarded at the closest vet.

That is another reason why you want a smaller tank. It makes heating easier. The tank temperature should never drop below seventy-seven degrees or go above a hundred degrees.

Anyone want to make a guess about how long this kid's chameleons lived?

Once your chameleon is used to you and the environment, you can begin to take it out and let it sit on your shoulder.

They're not freaking parrots....

The sad part is we have no way to get that crap off the web. How many people see and believe that crap?:(:(:(:(

Last edited:
They're not freaking parrots....

I know I never can get mine to stay on my shoulder, he always heads to my lower/mid back....
I'm thinking of getting one of those dandy collars with the chain and pin on it (JUST KIDDING)

but for real that is such bad info it surely has to be a hoax/ intentional mis-infromation... or one stupid person (tho I'd wager both)

If people were smart they would research more than one website. Before I bought a chameleon I looked at so many websites to make sure everything they said was similar to each others husbandry.

I think alot of the problem is...they DONT do any research before they buy a cham...I think alot of people buy on impulse..and research after when somethings wrong with the cham...and by that time it's to late... :/

If people were smart they would research more than one website. Before I bought a chameleon I looked at so many websites to make sure everything they said was similar to each others husbandry.

That's absolutely right. I don't know who's more careless - those who spread such wrong information like this, or those who don't research enough to recognize bad info.

but for real that is such bad info it surely has to be a hoax/ intentional mis-infromation... or one stupid person (tho I'd wager both)

It sounds like it's written by a kid. Or just an adult with really poor writing and grammar skills.

Jeez. That's pretty sad. :/ Sounds like a fourth-grade science assignment...

"Now class, for homework tonight, write a quick page on how to care for your favorite animal and hand it in by tomorrow..."

*gags*

Most people who get chameleons and other reptiles are looking for an easy and exotic pet to care for. Other lizards are expensive and you can expect a short life expectation.

Seriously...

Bearded Dragons: Average Lifespan: 10 - 15 yrs / Average Price: $70
Green Iguanas: Average Lifespan: 10 - 12 yrs / Average Price: $24
Leopard Geckos: Average Lifespan: 10 - 20 yrs / Avarage Price: $40

I wouldn't call those common lizards expensive or short lived. :/

Senegal Chameleon: Average Lifespan: 6 - 12 yrs / Average Price: $40

And I wouldn't call chameleons an easy reptile either. If you want easy, go for the leopard gecko. Same price - twice the lifespan! xD

Last edited:
This happens alot here in the UK. People don't have a clue, they buy reptiles becuase they are different. And they are not really expensive either, I think here in the UK they should up the price so stop people buying on impulse

this reminds me ofthe little girl who came into my work today (I work at a pet store) asking what she could feed her chameleon besides crickets because they get out of her cage sometimes then the rest of the bugs i listed off weren't good either. I told here thats what they have to eat and she just shrugged her shoulders. I wanted to jump over the counter and beat this kid, or more like go steal this poor veiled she wasn't going to feed now.

That's terrible information, I can't believe someone would post information like that. People need to take responsibility for what they say (in this case post). Some where there is a kid that read this, believed this, and probably killed a chameleon. :(

people need to treat all animals like the treasures each one is!

I had a friend of a friend over because she was having trouble with her beardie. when she came over it was apparent right away that this poor beardies arms, spine, tail base and toes were all showing SERIOUS deformities. looking at him broke my heart. finally after an hour of arguing she admitted to not using any vitamins or calcium supp. '' ya i tryed that stuff it didnt work'' and no uvb light ever '' the pet store said i could get it later''. people like this should NOT own pets.

collar & leash

I know I never can get mine to stay on my shoulder, he always heads to my lower/mid back....
I'm thinking of getting one of those dandy collars with the chain and pin on it (JUST KIDDING)

Simone is always mad cause my hair is too short to get a good grip. So she usually tries my ears/glasses, or just goes straight up the lips & nose. *ouch*

Now a nice studded collar or a choke collar would be just the ticket. lol

of course a retractable leash would make finding them easy.... zzzzzzziiippp

(just kidding of course, but the visual is good for a chuckle)

heres another thing... it said
First, they are capable of changing their colors. If you have a small tree in the tank or a rock, you can see the lizard shift its color to camouflage in with the background.
Yea right.. I bet everyones bright red and orange panthers blend into everything

That's why I looked for a forum... usually you are going to find a lot of crap on the web, anyone can write anything. But if you find forums you will usually run into a few people that are really knowledgeable and passionate.. The first site I went to had Senegals "buy one get one free" and said that they were great beginner pets... Ya'll set me straight ;)

thats what sucks..people arent smart...there was a poll awhile back, i guess more than half americans couldnt even point out the us on the map..the truth of the horrible reality is most are stupid, fat, lazy, and want instant gratification.

Old thread.

heres another thing... it said
First, they are capable of changing their colors. If you have a small tree in the tank or a rock, you can see the lizard shift its color to camouflage in with the background.
Yea right.. I bet everyones bright red and orange panthers blend into everything

You'd be surprised at how well they can blend in with enough foliage.

Information about snake keeping is much the same. I'd LOVE to see a lot of that utter utter crap taken off the internet somehow :( I left a snake forum once because I'd spent a LOT of time helping people out with snake care which I love to do. BUT... quite a lot of the newer keepers would expect me to continue to dispense help and advice for them after they had totally ignored my very first observation that the species they had put in a fish tank WILL die if it's not put in a suitable VIVARIUM. I very much ended up feeling like they were just hearing what they wanted to hear. I'm not about to sit up until two in the morning (as would often happen) and help you out with stuff if you've decided to keep that poor animal in a tank meant for fish when I've already told you what WILL happen, simple. I just wanted to try and make a difference and fight back against all the halfwitted B.S. that is unfortunately on the internet making things difficult for new keepers. Thankfully I've now found a better way to help out but help out people willing to listen to experience and with thier snakes interests as a priority. I know exactly what you mean when you express frustration at this sort of stuff!!

Back
Top Bottom