Things have taken a turn...for the worse

ChameleonMom

So if any of you have been following my "laying" saga you will know that my year old veiled, Isis has been developing eggs which showed up (very lightly) on an x-ray on Nov. 22nd. My vet advised she would lay in 3 - 4 weeks, which put us at this past Wednesday. She had been digging in her laying bin last Sunday but the dirt fell in on her and after 5 hours with no digging sounds and me panicking, Ataraxia correctly told me to get her out immediately. When we got her out she was barely breathing - it was scary! She hadn't laid her eggs either. She didn't go near her bin for 2 days, but then on Tuesday (past) she again began digging. At lights out she was still in there and ended up sleeping in her hole. The next day when I peeked in on her she was sitting on a mound of dirt at the top of her bin, covered in dirt and looking very exhausted. I checked her to see if she was thinner - she wasn't so I quickly weighed her - she was still 147g's and FULL of eggs! I was SO disappointed. :(

She hasn't been near her bin since, even though I've put her in multiple times - she climbs out immediately! I have offered food and she's been eating and drinking like a champ but hasn't been restless nor has she exploring her cage like before. WTF is going on with her?

So the last day and a half I have been watching her very closely (from afar..don't worry!) and I noticed her right front foot looked swollen and the toes elongated and painful. She was favouring it and letting it hang off the vine while basking. I was shocked and concerned, then a realization hit me! Could she have hurt her foot while digging previously and is now in pain and unable to dig?? I was devastated today thinking she was injured and unable to lay. This is what her 'paw' looks like:
image.jpg

Off to the vet we went! What I found out after another x-ray is that even though I have been extremely diligent in my supplementation of her feeders, the clutch she is developing (and which fills her entire body cavity!) has taken so much calcium out of her that it has begun to pull calcium out of her bone, right near the joint of her right front foot! I thought perhaps she had broke or sprained it but luckily it is only swollen and causing minimal pain. I was SO relieved but also shocked because I am freaky about my supplements and schedule, which I never waver from!

It gets worse!

The x-ray also shows eggs, eggs, eggs - and in order for her to survive this infertile clutch without broken bones and more calcium deficiencies, my vet gave her 48 hours. If she doesn't lay by Monday morning I have a standing appointment Monday afternoon for an emergency c-section/hysterectomy! :eek:

So...I'm asking everyone who has read this LONG post to please pray for my Isis, keep us in your thoughts or send us some positive mojo - whatever it is, please wish us luck as we try and get through the next few days. It's going to be tough....for us both! :(

Oh my! Here is hoping and praying that she can do it in her own with success! Keep us updated!

Oh no! I hope she pulls through......that is unbelievably stressful. I have been keeping up with your threads and hoping for the best.

I wish her the best.

Calcium is needed for her to contract and have the strength to push the eggs out. I would personally try this. Absorbing calcium and it replenishing her will take longer than a few days but id start now. 1st. Id force her liquid calcium. Id also put a pinch with d3 in it also. Put a brand new uvb bulb over the top of her. 2nd You may need to put her in a tote, trash can or something she cant climb out and leave her be in it. Let her sleep in it. Put a fake plant in the center or some vines if you have them laying around.

If you have a web cam or baby monitor laying around maybe try to watch her with this instead of her seeing you.

I wish her the best.

Calcium is needed for her to contract and have the strength to push the eggs out. I would personally try this. Absorbing calcium and it replenishing her will take longer than a few days but id start now. 1st. Id force her liquid calcium. Id also put a pinch with d3 in it also. Put a brand new uvb bulb over the top of her. 2nd You may need to put her in a tote, trash can or something she cant climb out and leave her be in it. Let her sleep in it. Put a fake plant in the center or some vines if you have them laying around.

Thanks for your reply Ataraxia. When you say 'liquid calcium' do I mix some of her cal with water and add a pinch of her cal w/D3 in the mixture? Or is there a liquid cal I can get at the drug store? It is late here but I'll run to Timbuktu if I have to if it means she'll be okay! Also, would I bother her tonite with this as it is currently 'lights out' and she is sleeping, or give it to her at 7am (lights on) tomorrow?

I changed out all my UVB's on both my Cham cages on October 19th so they are virtually brand new. Should I still provide a new one for her?

I have previously tried the 'garbage can' technique with plants and she FREAKED OUT! I moved her back when it was evident she was scared poopless so as not to stress her! Should I try again?

I appreciate the advice. Sorry for so many questions! :eek:

Aw poor thing. I know what you mean about supplementing! I worry as well with my own.
What a stressful time for both of you :( , you and Isis are in my thoughts! :) Hope all goes well.

Sending positive thoughts to Isis and you. I know your are doing all you can. It seems like you are getting some good advice. Ataraxia knows his stuff! Good luck with everything.

Deb

Isis and you are in my thoughts and prayers! I'm so sorry for you both. Hopefully she will be able to do it in her own and at least you have a back up plan. I'll be waiting for news tomorrow!

I would do what axataria recommended to see if it helps. If you go to a drug store, go to the pharmacy and ask for calcium gluconate liquid. Also, really try to put a few vines AND a fake plant or a few leaves from a live plant. Sometimes they feel more comfortable digging by a plant. Make sure the laying bin is nice and big for her.

Also, ask the vet if he thinks oxytocin is an option. If he think's it's not too late, he can give her an injection and it will induce egg laying.

I just read this Lisa and I'm praying for Isis. You have received some excellent advise here. My baby Elly had been well supplemented her entire life and still broke bones when digging to lay. I'm not sure it this was mentioned but I would dig the tunnel for her and put her in a tall trash can laying bin with no way out....like the one pictured in the link in my laying bin blog. I hope Isis gets those eggs out today. Please keep us posted.

After my first egg binding (hey made it 3 clutches) we had to do a c-section. During the surgery the vet calls me and asking if i want her fixed. Hell ya i want her fixed, shes 3 with no males in site. Id be really disappointed if i just spent $$$ just to have the eggs removed...

Oh so much stress. You poor thing! Lots of prayers and positive thoughts for Her. If anyone can get her through I'm sure it will be you. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom