The Problems Just Keep Comin'

nicolie85

So here I am, totally excited that my 6 month old veiled is recovering beautifully from his MBD. Today he will be getting his big by cage (24x24x48), a brand new ficus and a brand new bromeliad. I made an appointment to see my vet yesterday to get a fecal done and to check on Buddy's progress. When I went home to pick him up and take him to the vet, I noticed that all of his crickets were still in the dish. Normally he would have consumed most of them by the middle of the day. When he hissed at me I also noticed that he had a white crusty piece of something over his teeth on one side.

The moment that the vet picked Buddy up, he noticed something in his mouth as well. When he opened Buddy's mouth we saw a very infected jaw line and a possibly broken jaw. So the vet went to work scrapping off all of the dead tissue. On top of this Buddy's fecal did not come out clean. He has nematodes and was given a dewormer. The vet also decided to give another calcium injection to ensure his bones are healing well. The poor little guy was more stressed than I have ever seen him. Now, I have four separate medications to give him and he is not going to like that (NeoCal, a cleaner for his mouth, eye drops for a possible bacterial infection and Baytril). I will treat him exactly as I am told, but the reaction that Buddy gives me when I come near him breaks my heart.

My biggest concern is that all of the stress on his little body will overwhelm him. I am doing everything possible to keep him happy and healthy, but I am waiting for my efforts to be in vain. All I can do now is hope and try my best.

As a side note, I keep telling my friends and family about Buddy's progress and not a one gives a hoot. It drives me crazy that something I have so much passion for matters nothing to anyone else. I love to go on and on about my pets and maybe I am just making everyone crazy. Don't know if anyone else has this same problem.

I think we all have the same problem. Thats what happens when it is your passion. I try to convince everyone , some listen and get interested others just don't get it.

Thats why we have this place to go to. Here almost everyone understands. :)

Think positive and do everything you can to help the little guy. If for some reason he doesn't make it. You tried everything you could. IMO nothing is in vein when it comes to caring for an animal. It can be stressful but I really respect all you are doing for him.

It hurts when they are afraid of you . just remember you are helping him

You are a Grade A , five star keeper. ;) Please keep us up to date on his progress

Hopefully he will pull through. Like Ryan was saying, only the people on this website and maybe others get our passion. It would be like maybe rockclimbing and base diving, we don't get it but the people who do have a passion for it.

I hope Buddy will have the strength that I have seen in so many chameleons to get through all the stress and recover!

I too understand your pain, Nicolie. It really hurts when they get so mad/scared when you try to help them. One thing you can do is to leave him alone as much as possible; give all the meds in one session and then give him the rest of the day off. When checking in on him keep your distance so he won't feel like you're coming to get him again.

Good luck with the little guy. I hope he pulls through.

sorry for the troubles and all.
Just hang in there. Do the best you can and be in peace knowing that you did the best.

As far as chameleon hobby, I am with ya there.
But, that's quite normal actually.
Just like i don't care when people around me talking about fancy cars. ;)

Best thing if you want to talk about chameleons is to chat here or go to one of those chameleon keeper meeting or something around your area.

Thanks for advice Sepioteuthis. That is basically what I did before when I was giving him his meds. I bug him first thing in the morning when I turn on light, give crickets and mist. Mist once again when I get home and I do it through the screen to avoid him getting more upset. Then, before his bedtime I would have to chase him down and give all his meds at once. Medication time and cage cleaning time are the only times I even touch him. This time around though, he feels like I am a real threat and puffs up before I even open the cage. I will forever be the enemy in his eyes, but I know that mom knows best.

i know how youel its the same with lookin after any animal or living being that u cant explain to them ur helping like small kids and babys they cant thank you wen there better but you know uv helpd and done the best you could hope he gets well soon

...Now, I have four separate medications to give him and he is not going to like that (NeoCal, a cleaner for his mouth, eye drops for a possible bacterial infection and Baytril). I will treat him exactly as I am told, but the reaction that Buddy gives me when I come near him breaks my heart.

As a side note, I keep telling my friends and family about Buddy's progress and not a one gives a hoot. It drives me crazy that something I have so much passion for matters nothing to anyone else...

Some keepers have good luck with injecting a feeder with the drug(s) to be given to the chameleon. Usually superworms, silkworms or hornworms work pretty well. Just try to feed-off the insect right away. They may only live for a minute or two - depending.

Consider your "chameleon" friends to be right here on this forum. Save it all for here :).

Good luck nicolie85 and buddy.
I so sympathize. I'm giving medication to one of mine right now too - and he's gone from waiting at the cage door to practically jump onto my head to running to the back of the cage when I'm around :(
I find giving him the medication when he's just waking up or just gone to sleep makes him less pissed off than when he is wide awake. Once I made that timing switch, he is slightly less stressed and slightly less pissed at me (he doesnt bite now, just hiss and evil eye)

Back
Top Bottom