The how to on candling an egg...

yankfanthom

Established Member
Anyone have a good method? I had one shriveled egg with what looked like a dried out clump 5 months into incubation. I'm almost sure I should be seeing more development at this point.

Might sound cave-man like but... I turn a flashlight upside down, cut a hole in a small piece of cardboard, and place the cardboard over the light of the flashlight. I then hold the egg carefully above the beam of light and... Ta-da!

my 1000th post! :D

Anyway, Get a bright pen light. Like an LED kind with a single LED. You want the light source to be small. Find one with the bulb inset a bit it will make it easier

Go to a darken area. You don't need total darkness but the darker it is the more you can see.

You do not need to remove the eggs from the medium.

Place the small flash light on top of the egg in a way where most of the light shines into to egg. The egg should illuminate like a glowing globe.

Look for small red veines in the egg. This is a good sign it is developing. As you get closer to hatch day the bottom part of the egg will start to look more solid while the top part will remain hollow and full of light.

Right before they hatch the bottom of the egg will be totally solid . Zero light will pass through. It will almost look like the egg is divided in half.

Eggs that are not fertile will be extremely yellowish and have a different look then ones that are fertile .

Sometimes eggs are developing and will just die and shrivel up for whatever reason

Might sound cave-man like but... I turn a flashlight upside down, cut a hole in a small piece of cardboard, and place the cardboard over the light of the flashlight. I then hold the egg carefully above the beam of light and... Ta-da!

If you do that way be very careful the egg does not roll off the cardboard and fall and that you do not turn the eggs while candling them

Quick question, Dez, my eggs have an orange circle within the egg at the top of all of them. This is internally when the light is shined through. Is this a good sign? :)

If you do that way be very careful the egg does not roll off the cardboard and fall and that you do not turn the eggs while candling them

And I don't set the egg on the cardboard, I keep hold of it the whole time. They are too round and plump to set down, I'd be too worried about them falling to do anything like that!

Quick question, Dez, my eggs have an orange circle within the egg at the top of all of them. This is internally when the light is shined through. Is this a good sign? :)

How long have your eggs been incubating? It sounds like the start of development.

fertile eggs will also grow in size as time goes on and remain white and plump.

I re-read what you said and I see you said you hold the egg. Sorry I am tired and read too fast:rolleyes: . But do bet be careful not to turn them.

Haha, it is no problem! I have had a few people ask me the same thing about the orange circle, so I figured I would clear it up! :) They are almost 2 months old now, and getting bigger all the time! Counting down the days until hatching, mom and dad are wonderful creatures, so I absolutely can not wait!

my 1000th post! :D

Anyway, Get a bright pen light. Like an LED kind with a single LED. You want the light source to be small. Find one with the bulb inset a bit it will make it easier

Go to a darken area. You don't need total darkness but the darker it is the more you can see.

You do not need to remove the eggs from the medium.

Place the small flash light on top of the egg in a way where most of the light shines into to egg. The egg should illuminate like a glowing globe.

Look for small red veines in the egg. This is a good sign it is developing. As you get closer to hatch day the bottom part of the egg will start to look more solid while the top part will remain hollow and full of light.

Right before they hatch the bottom of the egg will be totally solid . Zero light will pass through. It will almost look like the egg is divided in half.

Eggs that are not fertile will be extremely yellowish and have a different look then ones that are fertil

Sometimes eggs are developing and will just die and shrivel up for whatever reason

Thanks Dez!!! I'll look on eBay for an led pen. You think I should see something at 5 months though?

Thanks Dez!!! I'll look on eBay for an led pen. You think I should see something at 5 months though?

Yes! You should see some viens and maybe even some solid start forming on the bottom. Some eggs hatch as early as 6 months. Mine usually are 7 months before they hatch

Yes! You should see some viens and maybe even some solid start forming on the bottom. Some eggs hatch as early as 6 months. Mine usually are 7 months before they hatch

I have had them in an incubator at a constant 74 degrees in hatchrite. I thought the hatchrite wasn't giving enough water so I added a little water around the edges of the Tupperware just in case. I would love it if they popped out in 7 months!

I have had them in an incubator at a constant 74 degrees in hatchrite. I thought the hatchrite wasn't giving enough water so I added a little water around the edges of the Tupperware just in case. I would love it if they popped out in 7 months!

I use Hatchrite as well and I do add water to it throughout the incubation. My eggs are room temp 70 to 78 degree range .

Your eggs that hatch in 7 months, are they veiled? In an incubator or closet? I am too eager for mine, veiled in the closet.

Back
Top Bottom