The Final Stretch! (Bioactive Build pt. 3)

Philodendron have same qualities as pothos - oxalates in the leaves that can cause mouth and stomach irritation if eaten (in large quantities). So lrobably more of a risk for dogs and cats who might eat an entire plant vs a cham accidentally taking a bitep

Philodendron have same qualities as pothos - oxalates in the leaves that can cause mouth and stomach irritation if eaten (in large quantities). So lrobably more of a risk for dogs and cats who might eat an entire plant vs a cham accidentally taking a bitep

That was my understanding, thank you! Too tired to think type things this morning. :oops:

Not to my knowledge, and not any more than any of the other questionably "safe" plants that we use! However, if you have a source for that info i'd be interested in reading it! :) This is intended for a panther chameleon, who's highly unlikely to consume anything, anyway.
Not to my knowledge, and not any more than any of the other questionably "safe" plants that we use! However, if you have a source for that info i'd be interested in reading it! :) This is intended for a panther chameleon, who's highly unlikely to consume anything, anyway.
Well Personal experience, I
Work In the horticultural industry, Working on becoming a master Gardener and Arborist certification, and 95% of the time Phillodendrum is basically as bad as a Nerium Oleander In it’s toxicity. That’s just personal experience working with that plant.

Work In the horticultural industry, Working on becoming a master Gardener and Arborist certification, and 95% of the time Phillodendrum is basically as bad as a Nerium Oleander In it’s toxicity. That’s just personal experience working with that plant.

I appreciate the information, and will consider removing the plant in question if Pickle Rick shows any interest in it! Keep in mind that toxicity in reptiles is very different from toxicity in mammals and birds, and there havent been any concrete studies.

So, I did some preliminary digging as I was mildly concerned. Could I have read something wrong during my hours of research and careful plant vetting process? :unsure: Wouldn't be the first time I've mixed something up! I figure I'd post my findings.

First stop, as always, was checking the Pet Poison Helpline website. At the clinic, we call them whenever we have questions regarding toxic doses and treatment protocols for various substances. Usually the website itself is enough to determine the next step(s), but not always!

As per the website:

OLEANDER: "all parts of this plant are poisonous to multiple species (e.g., dogs, cats, humans, horses, cattle, etc.). Oleander contains naturally-occurring poisons that affect the heart, specifically cardenolides or bufadienolides. These poisons are called cardiac glycoside toxins, and they interfere directly with electrolyte balance within the heart muscle"

"The toxins within these plants are similar to digitalis or digoxin, a common heart medication used in both human and veterinary medicine. The level of poisoning varies with the particular plant, part of the plant, and amount consumed. All parts of the plant are generally considered toxic – even the water in the vase has been reported to cause toxicosis. Clinical signs from ingestion include cardiovascular signs (e.g., abnormal heart rhythm and rate), electrolyte abnormalities (e.g., a life-threatening high potassium level), gastrointestinal signs (e.g., nausea, drooling, vomiting, etc.), or central nervous system signs (e.g., tremors, seizures).

PHILODENDRON:
"This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals similar to other plants in the Araceae amily. Chewing or biting into this plant will release these crystals causing tissue penetration and irritation the mouth and GI tract. VERY rarely, swelling of the upper airway occurs making it difficult to breathe."

I also looked up the frequently recommended pothos while I was at it:

POTHOS: "This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals similar to other plants in the Araceae family. Chewing or biting into this plant will release these crystals causing tissue penetration and irritation to the mouth and GI tract. VERY rarely, swelling of the upper airway occurs making it difficult to breathe."

In conclusion, while I agree that oleander is bad juju, philodendrons are likely no worse than pothos. They're largely less often recommended because the vines of heartleaf philodendrons aren't as sturdy as those of pothos varieties. (y)

So, I did some preliminary digging as I was mildly concerned. Could I have read something wrong during my hours of research and careful plant vetting process? :unsure: Wouldn't be the first time I've mixed something up! I figure I'd post my findings.

First stop, as always, was checking the Pet Poison Helpline website. At the clinic, we call them whenever we have questions regarding toxic doses and treatment protocols for various substances. Usually the website itself is enough to determine the next step(s), but not always!

As per the website:

OLEANDER: "all parts of this plant are poisonous to multiple species (e.g., dogs, cats, humans, horses, cattle, etc.). Oleander contains naturally-occurring poisons that affect the heart, specifically cardenolides or bufadienolides. These poisons are called cardiac glycoside toxins, and they interfere directly with electrolyte balance within the heart muscle"

"The toxins within these plants are similar to digitalis or digoxin, a common heart medication used in both human and veterinary medicine. The level of poisoning varies with the particular plant, part of the plant, and amount consumed. All parts of the plant are generally considered toxic – even the water in the vase has been reported to cause toxicosis. Clinical signs from ingestion include cardiovascular signs (e.g., abnormal heart rhythm and rate), electrolyte abnormalities (e.g., a life-threatening high potassium level), gastrointestinal signs (e.g., nausea, drooling, vomiting, etc.), or central nervous system signs (e.g., tremors, seizures).

PHILODENDRON:
"This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals similar to other plants in the Araceae amily. Chewing or biting into this plant will release these crystals causing tissue penetration and irritation the mouth and GI tract. VERY rarely, swelling of the upper airway occurs making it difficult to breathe."

I also looked up the frequently recommended pothos while I was at it:

POTHOS: "This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals similar to other plants in the Araceae family. Chewing or biting into this plant will release these crystals causing tissue penetration and irritation to the mouth and GI tract. VERY rarely, swelling of the upper airway occurs making it difficult to breathe."

In conclusion, while I agree that oleander is bad juju, philodendrons are likely no worse than pothos. They're largely less often recommended because the vines of heartleaf philodendrons aren't as sturdy as those of pothos varieties. (y)
I have been using philodendron for over a year now. Actually like it better than pothos as the root tendrils will actually grip through a screen cage.

Back
Top Bottom