Kismet's Bioactive Build Progression

GoodKarma19

Chameleon Enthusiast
Finally got a new phone/camera today, and I figured I'd whip up a space to compile updates pertaining to Kismet's bioactive enclosure! This thing is my pet project, and I love to share it and hear feedback. I'm always looking for more things to tinker with, and it'll never truly be "done" - one of my favorite things about it!

I'm currently contemplating swapping the Meyer's lemon out for a hibiscus or similar water loving plant. She's struggling with all the water going through the system! The moss is definitely a goner now, but it still adds some nice texture so I'm not mad at it. I'll probably try harvesting some fresh stuff in the spring! By then I ought to have purchased some extra nozzles, and it might stand a better chance. Maybe, haha!

Enclosure: 36x18x36 ExoTerra. Front glass doors have been replaced by a screen panel for better airflow (mostly because I dropped/shattered a door :oops:)

Lighting: x2 HLG 65 quantum boards, suspended 8" off the top, as well as a 36" 5.0 UVB.

Watering: Currently handmisting - haven't dug out my MistKing yet since moving! I enjoy the process, anyway. 2-3 times a day, about 2 minutes per session or until I get everything appropriately watered.

Plant List (in no particular order):

• Meyer's Lemon
  • Small leaf Virginia creeper (sugar vine)
  • "wintergreen" club moss (Selaginella kraussiana)
  • Fittonia nerve plant
  • varigated creeping fig
  • creeping fig
  • Various mosses (locally foraged)
  • various airplants (tillandsia sp.)
  • fluffy ruffles boston fern
  • macodes sanderiana (jewel orchid)
  • macodes petola (jewel orchid)
  • dossinia marmorata (jewel orchid)
  • varigated heart leaf philodendron
  • neon philodendron
  • lipstick vine (Aeschynanthus sp.)
  • flaming sword bromeliad
  • Neoregalia chiquita Linda
  • neoregalia Fireball
  • neoregalia gorion
  • Purple wandering jew
Front:

20191228_184849.jpg

Right across:

20191228_184511.jpg

Left across:

20191228_185222.jpg

With the screen panel attached and my ghetto hood in frame (I'll make a nice one some day, haha!):

20191228_185033.jpg

Thanks everyone! :D I've been eyeing it up for the last couple days, and I think it's due for some rearranging. I'm officially Not Happy with the citrus, and that means I'll have to rearrange half of the ground floor and likely add more branches, if I don't choose another tree-type plant. I think a big part of it is that I'm bored. Vacation has me going stircrazy, and when I'm bored I rearrange things. It's a problem, lol!

I'm considering moving away from a traditional "tree", and instead go for some tall, dense foliage. Haven't decided! I'll peruse some greenhouses and are if anything speaks to me. Lily's cage is crying for more plants, anyway!

This enclosure keeps getting better and better. I love the addition of the peace lilies; they definitely fit the "tropical" theme better than the Meyer's lemons. I reached the same conclusion about trying to keep moss alive on the sides/back - it may work if you mist regularly throughout the day to keep the enclosure moist and very humid as for dart frogs, but those conditions aren't ideal for a chameleon.

This enclosure keeps getting better and better. I love the addition of the peace lilies; they definitely fit the "tropical" theme better than the Meyer's lemons. I reached the same conclusion about trying to keep moss alive on the sides/back - it may work if you mist regularly throughout the day to keep the enclosure moist and very humid as for dart frogs, but those conditions aren't ideal for a chameleon.

Thank you! :D Yes, I feel like reworking the bottom and including the peace Lily was the right choice. It also allows me to see the plants in the back more clearly, and I do love that creeping fig! Honestly, I prefer not having a central tree, at least in this build.

It's a shame about the moss, but outside of rigging up a recirculating drip system I just can't see myself managing to keep the moss on the walls alive without making the whole enclosure uninhabitable for Kismet. I'll collect some forest moss grown into bark in the spring, and see if that works any better. The moss toward the bottom third seems to have a much much higher survival rate, and I can work around that! Ah well. Just means I need more creeping vines and epiphytes Haha!

Thank you! :D Yes, I feel like reworking the bottom and including the peace Lily was the right choice. It also allows me to see the plants in the back more clearly, and I do love that creeping fig! Honestly, I prefer not having a central tree, at least in this build.

It's a shame about the moss, but outside of rigging up a recirculating drip system I just can't see myself managing to keep the moss on the walls alive without making the whole enclosure uninhabitable for Kismet. I'll collect some forest moss grown into bark in the spring, and see if that works any better. The moss toward the bottom third seems to have a much much higher survival rate, and I can work around that! Ah well. Just means I need more creeping vines and epiphytes Haha!
I really find myself liking these little "parlor palm" babies. I got it for a steep $12 at Lowes. I was afraid it wouldn't work in my enclosure, but when I went to remove it from its pot and magic! It wasnt 1 plant, but 3!! And boy oh boy has it turned out really nice so far. Mind you, this is for my gecko, but the way you put so much effort to it, may work for you...

20191230_210151.jpg

I used sheet and mood moss for the bottom and lots of air plants around. Not sure if that half-round tree hide thing fits just yet... but I liked it when I bought it!

The palms are definitely a perfect fit for me though!

Edit: they sit about 6-7 inches above the soil with fairly short root systems. The cage is 24" tall for scale.

Last edited:
I really find myself liking these little "parlor palm" babies. I got it for a steep $12 at Lowes. I was afraid it wouldn't work in my enclosure, but when I went to remove it from its pot and magic! It wasnt 1 plant, but 3!! And boy oh boy has it turned out really nice so far. Mind you, this is for my gecko, but the way you put so much effort to it, may work for you...

View attachment 254832

I used sheet and mood moss for the bottom and lots of air plants around. Not sure if that half-round tree hide thing fits just yet... but I liked it when I bought it!

The palms are definitely a perfect fit for me though!

Edit: they sit about 6-7 inches above the soil with fairly short root systems. The cage is 24" tall for scale.

I was eyeing up some baby parlour palms a few weeks ago, actually! I'm thinking I might pick one up for Lily's build. It'd add some nice coverage, and she already has lots of climbing choices anyway. Good idea! If I stare really hard at Kiz' build, I might be able to shoehorn one in there, too... :unsure: :LOL:

The big greenhouse in the area opens at the end of Feb, and they have fantastic live sheet moss there. I play on stocking up, then!! Unfortunately, all of the other mood and sheet moss I've found locally has had preservatives/dye added, and that's no bueno. The time for moss shall come, and this time I'll be better prepared! :p

I was eyeing up some baby parlour palms a few weeks ago, actually! I'm thinking I might pick one up for Lily's build. It'd add some nice coverage, and she already has lots of climbing choices anyway. Good idea! If I stare really hard at Kiz' build, I might be able to shoehorn one in there, too... :unsure: :LOL:

The big greenhouse in the area opens at the end of Feb, and they have fantastic live sheet moss there. I play on stocking up, then!! Unfortunately, all of the other mood and sheet moss I've found locally has had preservatives/dye added, and that's no bueno. The time for moss shall come, and this time I'll be better prepared! :p
"The Bio Dude" has far and away the best price I've found for mosses. I ended up getting 3 bags each of sheet and mood moss. I want to say a 2qt bag was about $6-7. Shipping was reasonable. When I did the rinse and clean, the water was fairly clean afterwards, which is pretty good. I also ended up harvesting some local mosses and such as I noticed some of that "everliving fern" moss he sells growing on my palms out front, lol!

I find myself going back to the mood moss... it provides awesome landscaping. It's a little thick so you can make a hill by just plunking down the moss. I did some similar with the sheet moss but had to build up the soil underneath. I love the color and the little ferns of the mood though. Sheet also sprouts ferns, but the color just isn't as green.

I highly suggest the palms, I already have new growth on them in just about a week. And of course they're easy to prune and make great vegetation for the CuC. Plus, what screams "Tropical" more than palm trees in your enclosure?!?

"The Bio Dude" has far and away the best price I've found for mosses. I ended up getting 3 bags each of sheet and mood moss. I want to say a 2qt bag was about $6-7. Shipping was reasonable. When I did the rinse and clean, the water was fairly clean afterwards, which is pretty good. I also ended up harvesting some local mosses and such as I noticed some of that "everliving fern" moss he sells growing on my palms out front, lol!

I find myself going back to the mood moss... it provides awesome landscaping. It's a little thick so you can make a hill by just plunking down the moss. I did some similar with the sheet moss but had to build up the soil underneath. I love the color and the little ferns of the mood though. Sheet also sprouts ferns, but the color just isn't as green.

I highly suggest the palms, I already have new growth on them in just about a week. And of course they're easy to prune and make great vegetation for the CuC. Plus, what screams "Tropical" more than palm trees in your enclosure?!?

I'm not sure if the BioDude ships up to my neck of the woods, but I feel like I ought to check! I'd love some resurrection ferns, too. I'll have to give it a check! I'm always very wary of shipping any sort of plants in this weather.

I may just be sold on a palm! I'll see if I can track one down when I go plant shopping later this week. It'd be perfect for Lily, I think! :D

I'm not sure if the BioDude ships up to my neck of the woods, but I feel like I ought to check! I'd love some resurrection ferns, too. I'll have to give it a check! I'm always very wary of shipping any sort of plants in this weather.

I may just be sold on a palm! I'll see if I can track one down when I go plant shopping later this week. It'd be perfect for Lily, I think! :D
If you want some of that fern... I can give you some free. It's seriously all over my palm trees out front. I'm moving in the end of January so I'll probably take it with me!

If you want some of that fern... I can give you some free. It's seriously all over my palm trees out front. I'm moving in the end of January so I'll probably take it with me!

Oooooo! I cant keep my geography straight - you're in the US, right? Not sure if can ship plants to Canada without a permit! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom