The Final Stretch! (Bioactive Build pt. 3)

GoodKarma19

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ladies and gentlemen, I finally got this monster inside! Getting it down the stairs was not fun, and I dread trying to move it once the substrate and plants are in! But that's future me's problem. :hilarious:

It fits so nicely on my dresser, too! Barely a millimeter to spare - it was meant to be!

With one of my HLG 65 quantum boards on. It's so lovely and bright! I may not need much of a basking fixture, either; they out a surprising amount of heat! I'll monitor it and adjust as needed. The second one won't be in until the end of the week due to shipping delays. I'll be picking up a UVB fixture later this week!

Working on the drainage layer right now. Total depth: 2.75". Don't bother with ZooMed HydroBalls or substrate mesh! I'm very disappointed with the cost to quality ratio! The HydroBalls are 3x as heavy as the expanded clay pebbles i bought at the nursery, and very dusty! I also just dont like them aesthetically in comparison to the more porous red clay pebbles, haha! And the substrate mesh... ugh. Very fragile, with permanent creases. Stick with vinyl pet screen!

Taking a break to get coffee/lunch, and then I'll stop by Home Hardware and pick up a cap for the PVC pipe, vinyl pet screen, and more topsoil.

So excited!! :D

It took a solid 4 hours, but all of the plants are in! I still have a list of things to do (leaf litter, CuC, have to fix the left door cause I snapped the hinge pin, cap for the PVC drain, MistKing, etc.), but this is a good stopping point! I'm very proud of how it all turned out, and my fingers are crossed for minimal die off! This turned out better than I could have imagined. Special shoutouts to @jamest0o0 and @dshuld for all of their valuable help throughout this process, and @Beman, @JoXie411, and @Daesie11 for being awesome and listening to my excited rambling and ridiculous number of WIP pictures at all hours!

Even with the one LED board I'm getting temperatures up to 90F at the mesh, so I don't believe I'll be using any additional basking elements. If anything, I'll be raising the boards. I'll monitor it in the coming days/weeks, and see what needs adjustment (if anything).

Complete plant list:
  • Dwarf Meyer's Lemon
  • Marble queen pothos
  • Varigated heart leaf philodendron
  • Fluffy ruffle Boston fern
  • Nepenthes varicosa
  • Nepenthes burkei
  • Begonia rex
  • White nerve plant
  • Creeping thyme
  • Brass buttons
  • Creeping fig
  • Various airplants
And now, without further ado: pictures!! :D That enough sticks for you @JoXie411? ;)

Slightly elevated front view (doors open, after misting):

Left side, right side:

Left across:

Right across:

Front view (doors closed):

It took a solid 4 hours, but all of the plants are in! I still have a list of things to do (leaf litter, CuC, have to fix the left door cause I snapped the hinge pin, cap for the PVC drain, MistKing, etc.), but this is a good stopping point! I'm very proud of how it all turned out, and my fingers are crossed for minimal die off! This turned out better than I could have imagined. Special shoutouts to @jamest0o0 and @dshuld for all of their valuable help throughout this process, and @Beman, @JoXie411, and @Daesie11 for being awesome and listening to my excited rambling and ridiculous number of WIP pictures at all hours!

Even with the one LED board I'm getting temperatures up to 90F at the mesh, so I don't believe I'll be using any additional basking elements. If anything, I'll be raising the boards. I'll monitor it in the coming days/weeks, and see what needs adjustment (if anything).

Complete plant list:
  • Dwarf Meyer's Lemon
  • Marble queen pothos
  • Nepenthes varicosa
  • Nepenthes burkei
  • Begonia rex
  • White nerve plant
  • Creeping thyme
  • Brass buttons
  • Creeping fig
  • Various airplants
And now, without further ado: pictures!! :D That enough sticks for you @JoXie411? ;)

View attachment 245791

Left side, right side:

View attachment 245786

View attachment 245787

Left across:

View attachment 245788

Right across:

View attachment 245789

View attachment 245792
I retract my statements definitely enough sticks :smuggrin: it’s so beautiful omg !!!! I want to live in it.

Complete plant list:
  • Dwarf Meyer's Lemon
  • Marble queen pothos
  • Nepenthes varicosa
  • Nepenthes burkei
  • Begonia rex
  • White nerve plant
  • Creeping thyme
  • Brass buttons
  • Creeping fig
  • Various airplants

View attachment 245791

Left side, right side:

View attachment 245786

View attachment 245787

Left across:

View attachment 245788

Right across:

View attachment 245789

View attachment 245792

Oh yeah, keep them coming! :cool:

Complete plant list:
  • Dwarf Meyer's Lemon
  • Marble queen pothos
  • Nepenthes varicosa
  • Nepenthes burkei
  • Begonia rex
  • White nerve plant
  • Creeping thyme
  • Brass buttons
  • Creeping fig
  • Various airplants

View attachment 245791

Left side, right side:

View attachment 245786

View attachment 245787

Left across:

View attachment 245788

Right across:

View attachment 245789

View attachment 245792
It is art!!! Absolutely stunning!

When you go to take a cute picture of some flowers, and then promptly shatter the door you were going to fix later today. :oops: :LOL: :banghead:

Guess I'm going to the glass shop to see if they can pick the shrapnel out of the plastic frame (which is totally fine, except for the damaged hinge pin that caused this mess!) and cut me a fresh piece!

Not how I intended to spend the morning, but... I got a cute flower picture I guess? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom