The current consensus in lighting?

Zach Valois

Well as time goes on, companies and individuals alike try new things and define new possibilities and methodology.

I am curious as to where this has gone in terms of lighting with chameleons.

LLL Reptile posted a video fairly recently on setting up a Peacock cham, and in their setup they used and advocated the use of a 100 watt Powersun mounted in a deep dome fixture.

I have seen many others using any combination of 2.0, 5.0 and 10.0 compact fluorescent bulbs, with mixed results.

I personally have been using 5.0 linear repti sun fluorescents, also with mixed results (that may not necessarily be related to lighting). My bulbs seem to put out an insufficient amount of light. Perhaps better reflective material in the fixture could help. I added two fixtures to try and increase the output.

SO, are linear 5.0's still the most used and advocated type of UVB lighting? What about the incorporation of 6500k plant lights? How many are using compact fluorescents or mercury vapors?

Well as time goes on, companies and individuals alike try new things and define new possibilities and methodology.

I am curious as to where this has gone in terms of lighting with chameleons.

LLL Reptile posted a video fairly recently on setting up a Peacock cham, and in their setup they used and advocated the use of a 100 watt Powersun mounted in a deep dome fixture.

I have seen many others using any combination of 2.0, 5.0 and 10.0 compact fluorescent bulbs, with mixed results.

I personally have been using 5.0 linear repti sun fluorescents, also with mixed results (that may not necessarily be related to lighting). My bulbs seem to put out an insufficient amount of light. Perhaps better reflective material in the fixture could help. I added two fixtures to try and increase the output.

SO, are linear 5.0's still the most used and advocated type of UVB lighting? What about the incorporation of 6500k plant lights? How many are using compact fluorescents or mercury vapors?

Allot of folks are using the Arcadia 6% (&12& at 2 feet) t5 HO's.They give as much UV as ANY mercury vapor bulb... actually more for free range enclosure.
Cheers.

It's an interesting question, and brings up one I have wondered for a while.

a t5 HO is going to be brighter than a t8 thats a given, but I had been told that the quality of the the t8 was better because the chemicals/materials used were under less heat in the t8 and were better just not as bright. I can't recall the article but it was one I had read back in my reef keeping.

Switching from a t8 to a t5 HO also requires new light fixture and checking your temperatures as a t5ho heat output is noticeable compared to a t8 as I recall.

Not knocking the t5ho, just saying making the swap is more than buying a new bulb. Does the Arcadia 6% come in t8 even?

As to light output of a reptisun 5.0, I use a incandescent light for basking and 6500k cfl to light the enclosure and stimulate plant growth on 1 enclosure and the same on another but with a 6500k t8 linear instead of cfl. The cfl is brighter but the t8 adds more light to the enclosure because it spans the width of the enclosure vs coming out of a 8inch work light.

on my 18x18x36 i use a reptisun 5.0 cfl (the larger version) and a 6500k cfl and it works just fine but I don't think I would use just 1 cfl uvb in a 2x2x4.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

I use 6500k HO T5's for my planted/frog tanks. Works wonders.

But is anyone making T5 or HO T5 bulbs that contain the necessary UVB output needed to maintain chameleons?

Heat output in T5's is anything one would need to worry about. For my glass frog enclosures, I use these elevated about three inches above the glass, generally with a small computer fan mounted below each fixture. This allows me to maintain almost fully glass tanks around 78-80 F.

And the mercury vapors? I have been shocked to see how many people are using these for chams, even higher elevation species.

"But is anyone making bulbs that contain the necessary UVB output needed to maintain chameleons?"

I do not understand the question.... reptisun 5.0 has been proven to be sufficient and arcaida 6.0 as well.

"But is anyone making bulbs that contain the necessary UVB output needed to maintain chameleons?"

I do not understand the question.... reptisun 5.0 has been proven to be sufficient and arcaida 6.0 as well.

Lol. My apologies. I was asking in regards to HO T5's. But I believe that I have seen Zoo Med HO T5 fixtures and bulbs sold for reptiles when I think about it.

arcaida 6% are t5ho, they are the only ones at the moment that have been proven I think.

I personally use the arcadia 12% T5HO bulbs directly on the screen for my chameleons and day geckos. This was the percentage that I was told to use by Arcadia themselves.

They are lots brighter and really do light up a 4 feet high tank. They also give out allot more UV which the T87 didn't. I personally would never use a 5.0 as I feel they really do not give out enough UV.

I have noticed great results from using the arcadia T5HO bulbs such as better colouring, increased activity and feeding levels and have no complaints at all. It does mean you need a new fixture though when you switch to T5 due to the smaller diameter of the bulb compared to the older T8 bulbs.

Arcadia also do a 6% and 12% in T8 version which last for one year compared to the 6-9 months the other T8 bulbs commonly used.

lights

For my panther and veiled I use a Jungle Dawn Spot with 1 purple led in it. Puts out an incredible amount of light, and for once all of my plants aren't dying within a couple of weeks. I use the MV bulbs that LYR (site sponser) sell. Chams seem to be very happy, and I do have to say that the light put out by the Jungle Dawn spot is very crisp, clear and bright. You can talk to Todd about any questions, he is very helpful, and its nice to support a site sponser.

It's an interesting question, and brings up one I have wondered for a while.

a t5 HO is going to be brighter than a t8 thats a given, but I had been told that the quality of the the t8 was better because the chemicals/materials used were under less heat in the t8 and were better just not as bright. I can't recall the article but it was one I had read back in my reef keeping.

Switching from a t8 to a t5 HO also requires new light fixture and checking your temperatures as a t5ho heat output is noticeable compared to a t8 as I recall.

Not knocking the t5ho, just saying making the swap is more than buying a new bulb. Does the Arcadia 6% come in t8 even?

As to light output of a reptisun 5.0, I use a incandescent light for basking and 6500k cfl to light the enclosure and stimulate plant growth on 1 enclosure and the same on another but with a 6500k t8 linear instead of cfl. The cfl is brighter but the t8 adds more light to the enclosure because it spans the width of the enclosure vs coming out of a 8inch work light.

on my 18x18x36 i use a reptisun 5.0 cfl (the larger version) and a 6500k cfl and it works just fine but I don't think I would use just 1 cfl uvb in a 2x2x4.

If you are concerned about heat and electricity.. why not LED?
Then use that in conjubtion with a UV producing flo. light & the usual spot arrangement for heat?.:D

I personally use the arcadia 12% T5HO bulbs directly on the screen for my chameleons and day geckos. This was the percentage that I was told to use by Arcadia themselves.

They are lots brighter and really do light up a 4 feet high tank. They also give out allot more UV which the T87 didn't. I personally would never use a 5.0 as I feel they really do not give out enough UV.

I have noticed great results from using the arcadia T5HO bulbs such as better colouring, increased activity and feeding levels and have no complaints at all. It does mean you need a new fixture though when you switch to T5 due to the smaller diameter of the bulb compared to the older T8 bulbs.

Arcadia also do a 6% and 12% in T8 version which last for one year compared to the 6-9 months the other T8 bulbs commonly used.

Aren't they wonderful!! :D

But is anyone making T5 or HO T5 bulbs that contain the necessary UVB output needed to maintain chameleons?

And the mercury vapors? I have been shocked to see how many people are using these for chams, even higher elevation species.

"But is anyone making T5 or HO T5 bulbs that contain the necessary UVB output needed to maintain chameleons?"

Oh yes... my new best friend.;).
And these are the BOMB!
And that ain't no hype.:)
http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/products/d3-reptile-t5-lamp-2/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/arc...er-t5-ho-reptile-bulb-now-available-us-89347/

Please check this thread out too:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/since-so-many-have-asked-solarmeter-readings-arcadia-t5-ho-81687/

"And the mercury vapors? I have been shocked to see how many people are using these for chams, even higher elevation species."

Ahh.. so true.
Merc. Vapor bulbs are so hard to make right...
And now since ZM has changed their out put and Maga Ray is practically non-existant, and Exo Teary bulbs are sooo _____... it has become IMPOSSIBLE right now to get a decent 110v Merc Vapor bulb.

HOPE IS ON THE HORIZON:
The new Arcadia METAL HALIDE spots will have better light and proper UV and come in more sensible wattages (30w, 50w , 75w) to use in montaine set-ups.
All we are waiting for is for them to be made w/ the 110v ballasts.

PLEASE see what Dr. Baines has to say.
She is the one true WORLD Goddess of Herp Lighting:

http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/video-2/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUu24MNO2Ho

These are VERY exciting times for lighting indeed!

Cheers!
Todd
[email protected]

If you are concerned about heat and electricity.. why not LED?
Then use that in conjubtion with a UV producing flo. light & the usual spot arrangement for heat?.:D

Not converned with the heat, i was mentioning the fact it is more heat than a t8 and requires a different fixutre etc... not everyone knows that a t8 is different than a t5, t12, etc... they just buy what is suggested for their pets. I was informing that its not a simple bulb switch is all. ;)

T5 need electronic regulation - but they simple work. I am using in 1m high 1m wide enlosures 1 Arcadia D3+ (12%) and 1 Philips 6500 lm 860 (last is unbelievable hell, it has more than twice output of any T8 tube same length) and there is lot of light, I do not think I need metalhalogenig anymore. Oh, I have there "hot" spots" Par38 (60w, 80w or 100W IR) depending on species. Generally I feel we have much better "electric" in terrariums now like few years ago.
To be honest I personally believe that any other metallhalogenids except Osram Vitalux 300W (for your Cycluras or gouldi, smaller enclosures they cook, "sun bath" for short time is too much labor), 160W Arcadia (too hot for chameleons) and some 70W metallhalogenids (here are few good manufacturers, or perhaps they order production in same no name chinese factory?) are all others more mareting hype like usable items. ButT5 is big improvement. What I like they are so small, and I use just watertight fittings where electronic is outside so I can spray in enclosure freely (try spray just few drops on metallhalogenid :)

Not converned with the heat, i was mentioning the fact it is more heat than a t8 and requires a different fixutre etc... not everyone knows that a t8 is different than a t5, t12, etc... they just buy what is suggested for their pets. I was informing that its not a simple bulb switch is all. ;)

Oh yes!.
sometimes I read these things too fast and do not comprehend well. :rolleyes:
ha ha
Here is a mix of Arcadia and LED- It does make for some real nice / natural looking light for sure!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/new-acradia-jungle-dawn-lighting-81419/

And using the LED does cut you down a bit on heat and PLants GROW nice!

We use the Arcadia t5 12% in the Arcadia reflective hood. It's amazing! I don't think a 5.0 housed outside the mesh gives off enough light for a 4 foot aluminium mesh viv.

If the tube was going inside a viv I would use the 5.0 t8 but I'm not a fan of putting bulbs inside at all :)

Back
Top Bottom