Chameleon lighting

I just purchased a chameleon and I’m running a 100w mercury vapor bulb and put vines right below it for basking. Will this light be enough or do I need to use a t50 linear light. Heard mixed opinions on this topic and I did my research but just curious.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

For basking I have always used a regular incandescent household light. I know in some areas they are becoming hard to find. I’m not a fan of mercury vor…but that’s just my opinion.

Do you have a long linear UVB light on the cage as well?

Can you post some photos of your chameleon and the whole cage, lights included please.

If you would like us to check your husbandry, please answer the questions in this thread…
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

I just purchased a chameleon and I’m running a 100w mercury vapor bulb and put vines right below it for basking. Will this light be enough or do I need to use a t50 linear light. Heard mixed opinions on this topic and I did my research but just curious.
Hi I wouldn't recommend using a Mercury vapour bulb for a cham , best with a t5ho linear fluorescent, for uvb and a separate bulb for basking. Incandescent or an arcadia solar basking a 75 w should be enough, but only trial an error to see what's your requirement

Sorry I didn't give any reasons . No 1 the mv will disperse uvb in a smaller area vs a t5ho linear , so if your cham wants uvb not heat this is not available. No2 these bulbs do 2 things heat +uvb , but unlike arcadia or zoomed how long is the uvb said to last ? Your cham may be getting enough heat but enough uvb, so you end up with a glorified heat light, no3 these bulbs I believe use more energy than others . No4 different chameleons, age ,sex ,species, require different temperatures so therefore the bulb would need to be closer or father away ( as theses as far as I believe are non dimmable) which would not guarantee the correct amount of uvb. Hope this helps

Mercury vapor bulbs can be used on Chameleons.

And in the "olden days" they were the only choice.

However, today in 2023... there are better choices / ways to set up Chams.

One issue with Mercury Vapor bulbs is "Heat and UV All-In -One" and is good for Chams. (or a lot of reptiles.)
🤯
This is not true in most cases.

As a matter of fact, it can be bad.
Do you want to know why?
If the Mercury Vapor Bulb is the animals only source of heat and UVB ..... it could FORCE the animal to MAKE CHOICES that could be detrimental to it's health.

The best way that I can explain is like this:

I am a little Chameleon living in a cage.
And for heat and UVB there is only a mercury vapor bulb for me to choose from.

I am cold today. This room I live in as cold.
So, I need to get closer under the bulb to try and warm up. I need to sit here for a long time to get warm.
Oh no.... now I am getting a Sunburn and my eyelids hurt.
Why?
Because I need the heat... but can't get out of the UV !

I ate a big meal today ....
and it is important that I warm up to be able to PROPERLY DIGEST my meal....
so my body can absorb the nutrients out of the food.
But I CAN’T DO THAT because I already have got too much UVB (Sun exposure) today...
and I am at the risk of sunburning.
I do not want to hurt and have my skin blister.

OR

I need some UVB to make Vit D so I will have strong bones and immune system.
But it's summer and this house is hot!
The room that I live in is like 90 already!

But if I sit closer to the bulb to "catch some rays".... then I am going to overheat.
(And there is no water dripping in here! ugh. I will dehydrate.)

So, friends...
You see the dilemma that this creates.
>>> Day after Day, YEAR AFTER YEAR <<<
For this animal living in a screen box in your living room.

I understand there can be issues & challenges with ANY heat / light set/ UVB set up.
But now there are many solutions that BETTER than a mercury vapor bulb for most cham set ups.

One better & most basic OPTION is to use the Arcadia 6% Bulb* and a dome with a 60 - 75-watt basking bulb in it.
(OR a12% UVB bulb *in CERTAIN applications*.... that we could discuss in other post.)

Also Readers,
if you want Ol' Todd's opinion / insights of when a Merc vapor bulb can & should be used on a Cham set up....
please start a new thread / post and I will weigh in on it.
HINT HINT. 😉

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Todd

Back
Top Bottom