The current consensus in lighting?

This is fantastic discussion everyone, great input here. I am so happy to finally see us advancing with such an important aspect of our industry.

Venutus, I will absolutely check out the provided information. Thank you very much.

The big debate will be what to use, the new up-and-coming mercury vapors OR the new T5 HO's.

I assume we will have to approach this on a case by case basis. One example being, years ago when I saw Chris Anderson's post on keeping chams in glass I decided to try a few montane species in some exos. I used fixtures fitted with one 20-40 watt tube incandescent and one 5.0 compact repti-sun. Results were mixed, and I was torn between trying to balance temperature. If I recall correctly, Chris used one compact 5.0 and a 6500k compact for the plants. Would this provide for proper thermoregulation for montane species (e.g. T. quadricornus)?

Then we have to consider the years of success many have had. Let's look at Kammerflauge. They preach up and down that a single 5.0 linear reptisun is the way to go, "NEVER use a 10.0", and I can only assume that this is the way they light their breeding stock. How can we so harshly put down a product and method that appears so tried and true?

Back
Top Bottom