The Biology of Chameleons

Yay! Mine was delivered late this afternoon. I’m not sure why it took so long as UCPress ships out of New Jersey but its here and that’s what counts.

Finally a book with a little meat on it! It certainly goes into a lot of detail and that’s something that has been missing in mainstream chameleon literature of late. The chapters on evolution and fossil history are particularly interesting to me and those are where I will begin tonight.

I see no one has posted a review yet on Amazon!

Who wants to volunteer to be the first??!! ;)

I'm currently reading it - it's pretty interesting though can be a little dry and scholarly in places. Sometimes hard to read because of all the sources listed but overall a useful book for chameleon keepers interested in a better understanding of them.

Glad you are all starting to receive your copies and start reading them. The chapters definitely are meaty, and in places can be quite dry, but thats unfortunately par for the course in order to fill the content void that other sources lacked up to now (anatomical descriptions, for example, tend to be by their very nature rather dry, unfortunately). The in text citations can also get cumbersome if you're not used to reading with them, but they are also really important for other readers and researchers to be able to go back and check in the event that there is question about any of the material in the future, etc. Definitely not a book for everyone, but anyone seriously interested in chameleons should find a lot of the information of interest and see that it goes in to much greater detail on those topics than other sources.

Best,

Chris

I have only just begun reading it but so far so goood!

A little dry like others have stated but definitely good material if you can get past the citing an all.

Good job guys!

My book arrived but my husband wrapped it and put it under the Christmas tree. I didn't even get to see it. :eek:

Just had a message from Amazon uk. My order has been cancelled as it is no longer avalable. ???????

Got mine a few days ago -- as a Christmas present for myself. Just waiting for the end of this week to start reading!

Chris

I read Chapter 10 "The Conservation of Chameleons" in January and have not got around to the rest yet. However that chapter was a solid chapter for a partial review. I recall it touched on some issues that were over looked issues in previous publications. However, as the rest stated it did seem a bit dry.

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
not dry... chewy

I've now had a chance to read this, and can I say thank you to the authors and editors for puting this work together?

Quite a good synthesis of the state of things in our understanding of these animals.

It should be said clearly that this is a work for the scholar, and not for the hobbyist.

Even with my education, the reading was not easy... I would say it's chewy, rather than dry. It would have benefited from an editor who had more of an ear for the average biologist.

That said, it is well-done all around.
Cheers

I noticed mine was shipped yesterday. I can hardly wait! Hopefully it won't take too long to get up to Canada.

Congratulations Chris on another fine achievement.

Are ya'll still buying books?

Save a tree. Get a Nook from Barnes and Noble and get the Book Online Immediately. Also, you save a lot of money!

Just ordered mine a minute ago after reading of its availability. Can't way to read it!

Just downloaded to to my Nook myself and although I do enjoy having a book like this in my hands, the savings is pretty strong.

Are ya'll still buying books?

Save a tree. Get a Nook from Barnes and Noble and get the Book Online Immediately. Also, you save a lot of money!

Just ordered mine a minute ago after reading of its availability. Can't way to read it!

This book is not available in electronic/digital formats.

Some of us value many aspects of print books, including being able to lend and sell them.

I've now had a chance to read this, and can I say thank you to the authors and editors for puting this work together?

Quite a good synthesis of the state of things in our understanding of these animals.

It should be said clearly that this is a work for the scholar, and not for the hobbyist.

Even with my education, the reading was not easy... I would say it's chewy, rather than dry. It would have benefited from an editor who had more of an ear for the average biologist.

That said, it is well-done all around.
Cheers

Call it what you want for your review. The chapter I read seemed on the dry side to me.

This book is not available in electronic/digital formats.

Some of us value many aspects of print books, including being able to lend and sell them.

I concur with you printed copies are the best.

Back
Top Bottom