temp gun

hamley88

can i put the laser onto my veileds skin when shes in the basking spot to find out what the temperature is?
i wont be putting it near her eyes but if she looked at the laser when ive got it on her skin, could it damage her eyes??

I would not do it.
I have a few of those too, and they are a must for keeping temps in order, but I would never point the laser in the animals direction, accidents can happen, and it's better safe then sorry.

Do you have one where you can turn the laser pointer off?

ok wont be doing that. i cant turn the laser point off on mine. ill do it when shes not in sight.

What I do is wait till they move, then take several readings where he was perched and take the average.
On mine, I can turn the laser off, but then I dont know where it is pointing!! :confused:

There is a specific rating(cant remember what its called specifically) that lets you know how far away from the surface your measuring you have to be to get an accurate reading. You need to know this.

What temp gun are you using?

They would need to look into the laser, like dead on, for some time to receive any injuries. Just dont point it in her eye.:rolleyes:

I take surface temps of them all the time, I think its a good practice.

from what ive been reading up on, its 8" to 12" away for a accurate reading. correct me if im wrong. its a precision gold infrared thermometer from maplin electronics

im looking for a temp of 88f max, would this be to the top of her body or say here belly area when shes in her basking spot??

I check the head, and both sides of the animal when I can.

If shes basking, one side will be turned towards the heat(generally), if you dont want her bady temp to go over 88F, then I wouldnt let that side get over 88F. The side thats turned away from the heat source, will generally be a few degrees cooler.

A temp gun is only good for checking body temp. In my opinion anyhow.

I cant speak on whether or not the temp you want her at is appropriate.
Im assuming you want to keep it under 88F to reduce egg production?
In that case, If 88F is a recomended basking temp, then her having a higher body temp may be fine, as generally basking area measurements refer to the ambient(air) temp in the basking area. A chameleon might sit in a 75F basking area, and have a much higher body temp.

I have no experience with females of an egg laying species though, so as I said, I cant really say for sure. Just some things to keep in mind. ;)

im trying to keep the basking temp at 85 to 88f to reduce egg production. thanks for your reply it was very helpfull.

Back
Top Bottom