temp gun

lisagr07

Avid Member
i'm looking to get a temperature gun to be able to check temps in different areas of Stanleys cage..

there are two offered here, http://www.tempgun.com/order.html..
my question i have is, do you have to hold the "gun" right up next to your intended subject or do you hold it at a distance and "aim" it at the area/animal?

i would think it would be less intrusive to hold it at a distance and get a reading rather than intrude into their space to check the temp out...

thanks,, lisa

Lisa, I'd get the type that you hold in the palm of your hand kinda like holding a gun, and also one that has a laser built in. That way you can pinpoint exactly what you wanna know the temp of. I just checked out the links that bongrod and bkelley posted and the one that bkelley posted for Reptile Basics has a really good Tempgun FAQ Buying Guide that explains everything you need to know about tempguns under their Customer Service heading.

Howdy Lisa,

One of the important specs to look at is the Distance to Spot ratio. For example, a D:S of 6:1 means that you can hold it 6" away and you'll be measuring the temp in a 1" spot. You can find 1:1 units for as low as $10, 6:1 for $20 and the one in Bongrod's post is a 12:1 for $40. I'd suggest 6:1 or better depending on how much you can afford. I have several different models to play with and the 1:1 works so long as you can get really close :eek:. I use my 8:1 all the time :).

Back
Top Bottom