Tell me your gutloading methods!

I updated my post with some nutritional info about calcium iron and protein levels ... I think a big part is the phosphorus in kale and spinach. We dust to offset phosphorus with calcium so higher calcium greens have always been preferable to me.

I used to keep a green iguana and she was a strict herbivore and used mustard turnip and collared more than spin and kale maybe it's just old habits. With any gut load variety is alwaysgood

I've often heard the goitrogenic properties of cruciferous vegetables being the reason for avoiding them in large amounts. They have many micronutrients that make them healthy though, at least for us humans. What I've read about the higher calcium greens is that they tend to also have high oxalates, which interfere with the calcium absorption.

Only repeating stuff I've read a little into, not claiming to be an expert on this.

I pick up a variety of items from the store, organic if its available or wash them very very well. I get one green leafy (mustard, dandelion or collard) , one orange squash, one fruit ( ie. mango, papaya) and a couple of other things in season. I grind them up on the food processor, roll them up in dime bag portions and freeze them. I use a serrated knife to slice off portions for feeding to tomorrows diner guests.

I updated my post with some nutritional info about calcium iron and protein levels ... I think a big part is the phosphorus in kale and spinach. We dust to offset phosphorus with calcium so higher calcium greens have always been preferable to me.

I used to keep a green iguana and she was a strict herbivore and used mustard turnip and collared more than spin and kale maybe it's just old habits. With any gut load variety is alwaysgood
Also upon further research I've realized the difference in phosphorus levels are negligible. Just old habits on my end. But did learn that chard has great vitamin a levels

I will say my bsfl and dubia ( even though my Cham refuses to eat roaches ) prefer sweeter things than just greens in my experience

Last edited:
I use bee pollen ground up and mixed 50/50 with my plain calcium as a supplement. My logic is if they eat bees and other pollinators the pollen is on them not digested by them. It might be unless but so far has done no harm.

For crickets and roaches, personally I use bug burger mixed with superload for wet as well as cricket crack mixed with a homemade blend for dry. I also throw in carrots and other veggies when I have extra (not old). For my grasshoppers I use carrots, grass, and greens. Superworms I use the bug burger blend with carrots and other veggies. Silkworms get either mulberry leaves and silk worm chow. This is a general list but I will supplement other stuff as I have it.

Quick update:
I just finished blending some gut load batches :) I plan on alternating between bags daily. Eventually ill experiment with bee pollen aswell. Thanks for the help everyone!

Attachments

• 20190620_124822.jpg
    20190620_124822.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom