Tell me your gutloading methods!

Vickitty123

My Peridot has been recently diagnosed with MBD and I'm taking rhe necessary steps for recovery as the vet said. One of the things he mentioned was having a proper gutload. Im feeding her about 8 roaches a day in her food bowl. She hasnt been eating lately because of stress but she's improving.
So tell me, how do you gutload?
Fresh veggies? Prepackaged brands? Etc.

Variety is the key as well as gutloading the feeders long enough for them to absorb it. Take a quick look at this post https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/gordon-ramsey-has-it-easy.169061/

And here are some recommended gutload ingredients.
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Also, how often do you gutload before feeding? Constantly? Or only enough for 24 hrs or so before feeding
I feed my bugs every other day. I put enough food in there for 2 days but bug burger and superload are a wet gel so it's best to replace that after a couple days. I gutload for at least 24hrs before feeding those bugs.

I constantly have gutload in my big containers so all of my feeders are always gutloaded. I also use bee pollen both in my gutload and to dust my feeders with along with the calcium.

I’ve actually started eating healthier and enjoying more veggies because I started to buy them to gutload crickets. I still refuse to eat kale though...
Kale taste no bueno any how, often upsets my stomach even in smoothies

Swiss chard has 16 percent more iron than kale. Collard greens has 18 percent more calcium per serving of kale and double the amount of protein and iron. And mustard greens holds its own by having the least amount of calories and slightly more protein and calcium than kale.

Last edited:
Kale is no bueno any how

Do you know why? So many people say this and then list other cruciferous vegetables as being fine. Or they say no spinach, but then say dandelion is fine. There's so much contradicting info. Not trying to be argumentative, just seeing if maybe someone here knows something I don't. There's nothing wrong with kale in small amounts, I use it, but I make sure to shift the types of greens I use on a regular basis. Never any issues.

Do you know why? So many people say this and then list other cruciferous vegetables as being fine. Or they say no spinach, but then say dandelion is fine. There's so much contradicting info. Not trying to be argumentative, just seeing if maybe someone here knows something I don't. There's nothing wrong with kale in small amounts, I use it, but I make sure to shift the types of greens I use on a regular basis. Never any issues.

I updated my post with some nutritional info about calcium iron and protein levels ... I think a big part is the phosphorus in kale and spinach. We dust to offset phosphorus with calcium so higher calcium greens have always been preferable to me.

I used to keep a green iguana and she was a strict herbivore and used mustard turnip and collared more than spin and kale maybe it's just old habits. With any gut load variety is alwaysgood

Back
Top Bottom