Tape Worm Advice

Howdy,

The topic of microscopes can easily turn into another hobby! Yep, you guessed it, there are internet forums for microscopy hobbyists. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Microscope/ is a very busy site. Most are dedicated to using used, high quality equipment. I came very close to getting gear like that but finally decided to go with a "cheap knock-off" of the "good stuff". My 'scope is often described as a Pacific Rim product. Lots of places (mostly internet) sell these scopes that are often assembled by the same operations that assemble the high-end scopes for the big-names like Nikon and Olympus etc. The biggest difference is the quality of the optics. What I bought is obviously adequate for my present needs although I'm sure that I would enjoy the quality of a high-end laboratory grade microscope. The same optical quality and configuration of my trinocular microscope can be found new from anywhere between about $225 to $600 and up. New lab quality scopes cost many $1000's and used ones range from $100's to $1000's. You've really got to know what to look for when it comes to microscopes. Used ones can have extensive and expensive damage to the mechanics and optics. You don't need a trinocular scope to do photographs but it makes it easier than a binocular scope when it comes to putting the digital camera or USB video camera on the scope. Ok... way too much info...:eek:... Anyway, I snagged my new scope on eBay on a very quiet Thanksgiving morning where the regular bidders were busy cooking turkeys. My winning bid was only $207 while the usual bids were more around $250-$300 and up. Tax, shipping etc. brought it to about $270. The funny thing is that the high quality DSLR camera adapter from another source cost me over $300 :eek:. There are cheaper ways to adapt a camera but...
BoughtthisMicroscope.jpg

By the way, 40X, 100X and 400X are the most useful magnification ranges for what I'm doing. 1000X usually requires oil emersion which is messy etc. A sharp 400X image beats a blury 1000X any day :).

Here's what looks to be the same one that I bought. Every so often they put one up for auction with no minimum bid and that's how I got mine so cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/40X-1600X-DOCTO...4QQihZ007QQcategoryZ71410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Almost forgot to mention the book in my signature!

Everyone needs to snag a copy of:
***"Understanding Reptile Parasites" By Roger J. Klingenberg D.V.M. ***
Cheap at twice the price...:D

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the info on the microscope. So basically don't think about getting one unless it is 1000X because it won't be useful detecting the parasites?? Dave what are you doing with yours at 40x 100x and 400x, b/c I am not experienced at all and it seems like if I don't know what I'm doing the oil bit isn't going to work out. But it seems like it is necessary to use the oil to be able to see the parasite and eggs? If thats the case i'll have to save up!
thanks,
liz

Howdy,

I took those photos with 100x and 400x magnification. That level of magnification works just fine to see the usual parasites and parasite eggs that we run across. If you were looking to diagnose bacteria etc. then there are a lot more technical things to worry about than just magnification and image quality to get a proper viewing image :). Long story short, what I bought isn't really any different in functionality than what you'll find in a typical vet's office. I still say the best thing to do is find a friend with a microscope. And the best way to approach a parasite problem is to have your vet involved with the initial diagnosis and use your own scope to follow the drugs progress. If things aren't going away then you know that treatment needs to continue and you and your vet can figure out what to do. It's satisfying to watch the treatment progress result in going, going, gone :).

Liz,
Oops..i have to clear this. i use mine 1000X to detect bacterias .....400X will be fine in detecting worms. Cos i am working in a Microbiology lab. So, i use 1000X microscope for both microorganisms and detecting/ differentiate different species of worms eggs.

Back
Top Bottom