tanzanian chameleons

@coldbloodedAL, i also read the previously mentioned link and it says in paragraphs 6-7 and I quote:

"Government sources told The Citizen that there were 180 firms licensed to export live animals.Yesterday's ban followed revelations that 116 live animals, including four giraffes, were smuggled out of the country on November 24, last year, aboard a Qatari cargo plane through Kilimanjaro International Airport.

Mr Pinda told the august House during the PM's questions and answers session that a review would be made on the type of animals to be allowed for export, export procedures to be followed and rates to be paid by exporters."

If you read the 2nd paragraph, it states that they will review some animals that they will allow. Hopefully, that would/could mean chameleon, along with many other tanzanian reptile imports to the U.S.

@coldbloodedAL, i also read the previously mentioned link and it says in paragraphs 6-7 and I quote:

"Government sources told The Citizen that there were 180 firms licensed to export live animals.Yesterday's ban followed revelations that 116 live animals, including four giraffes, were smuggled out of the country on November 24, last year, aboard a Qatari cargo plane through Kilimanjaro International Airport.

Mr Pinda told the august House during the PM's questions and answers session that a review would be made on the type of animals to be allowed for export, export procedures to be followed and rates to be paid by exporters."

If you read the 2nd paragraph, it states that they will review some animals that they will allow. Hopefully, that would/could mean chameleon, along with many other tanzanian reptile imports to the U.S.

You are very correct, This is definitely possible... But I just wanted to say that you cant rely solely on that. I hope it is true though, we will find out soon I guess.

actually, if we all read the whole article, it mostly talks about most tanzanian mammals and birds, doesn't seem to concern reptiles. This means that the likelihood of reptiles from tanzania being imported to our country is w/in our favor. However, we have no control over tanzania, or their laws therefore, all we can do is hope for the best and if/when the tanzania shipment comes in with all those goodies, jump on it quick before this happens again.

You are very correct, This is definitely possible... But I just wanted to say that you cant rely solely on that. I hope it is true though, we will find out soon I guess.

yeah u have a good point there, all we can do is hope for the best.

So do I, as I have messages them about pygmies. If this information is true, my day is made. :)

@mychamtini112012, all we can do is hope for the best

That's the little devil on your shoulders talking there. I did not hear anything about improving the survival rate of WC chameleons in transit...

@Seeco, that's not quite the point, the point is, is that there is a chance of those chaneleons being imported again and at the moment not more then a handful of people are breeding tanzanian chameleon species. Because there really isn't that much breeding going on at the moment, thats a reason for the imports. Yes they might carry parasites, etc but at least the import still has a chance at coming in. However, you are still right about the fact that it wouldn't necessarily improve the wc imports' health but then again we still have things like pancur, and other types of medicines around

Oh I'n not worried about parasites. I am worried about the animals dying when they are yanked out of trees and stuffed in a crate with all different sizes and sexes together crawling on and fighting and raping each other.

That's the little devil on your shoulders talking there. I did not hear anything about improving the survival rate of WC chameleons in transit...

That kinda goes with out saying, ive seen the pictures and videos... Its terrible, something should be done about it.

I of course got my project started by purchasing Wild Caught animals...

What I am arguing for is that WC chameleons be purchased strictly for developing captive breeding programs on a professional level. It does not count to buy 1 male and 2 females unless several of your friends all get the same and you trade mates for genetic diversity.

If you want a pet you should (for a million reasons) only buy Captive Bred animals.

Anyway if the ban does get lifted I suggest:

1) Don't buy unless you can and will breed. Where will you be in a year when your eggs start to hatch?

2) Form an alliance with people that like the same species. Plan ahead ie "Ok you have an extra female so I'll order one less" For example join the Kinyongia Chameleon Keepers.

3) Don't buy a variety pack -- getting one of each species is useless and they were kidnapped strictly for your entertainment. Don't get just a nice male -- go to a breeder for that.

Back
Top Bottom