Tank mates

dirrtybirdy

Are there any other reptile that are compatible tank mates with chameleons?

It would be cool to see another animal interact with a chameleon.

Just a thought....

You may think it would be fun, but chances are the cham will just get stressed and upset. A day active gecko will compete for food, basking, water, and generally upset the cham. A night active species might startle or keep a cham awake. Any animal will add to the general bacteria level in the cage and could introduce parasites. If you had a very very large setup like a small greenhouse maybe, but the typical cham cage...not a good idea. Chams are like Greta Garbo "I vant to be alone!".

If you are wanting a setup for 'tank mates' chameleons are not the choice of animal to have. They are solitary animals. Unless you have an enclosure of leaf chameleons, you can have a few of them in one tank. However, still only the chams, nothing else. The only other time for a cham to have a roomie, would be breeding time. AND that at the best, is difficult and short lived.

LOL well i guess its a no.

I was thinking that some animals benefit from one another and wouldnt mind each others company.

Quick! Get those crazy thoughts out of your head! The above responses are good. Believe me,they will boil you in baby oil for asking that on here.

LOL^^

I already knew that they were solitaire animals, I just wanted to see that if in the wild they had some kind of relationship to other animals. I read somewhere on her that someone kept and anole with their panther. It was suppose to be a feeder but it ended up just "hanging out" with their panther and didnt seem to be bother by it.

I would never keep another animal with my chameleons unless it was safe and didnt harm it in anyway.

Every once in a while it works but we probably won't know just why. I had a male deremensis and a male fischeri who originally shared a very very large densely planted divided cage. I began finding the fischeri on the deremensis' side of the cage more and more. He was the best escape artist I ever had. I switched their sides...he just kept squeezing past the barrier regardless. As he used the upper warmer part of the foliage area and the deremensis lurked in the lower area they didn't seem to bother each other. Once I realized they were OK I took out the barrier and they lived in that shared space for a couple of years. I hand fed each of them of course and used an automatic misting system so they didn't need to compete for anything. I had to rehome them and their new keeper also gave them a shared space in a tub shower. Somewhere I have a picture of them roosting on the same branch with feet touching. But, this is an EXCEPTION of two who just happened to be compatible, not aggressive, and healthy.

I have 2 veileds together in a tank i built that is over 250 gallons
2 basking spots
2 water drippers
2 feeding bowls

this worked because they were raised together..they get along just fine. They usually stay close to each other as well.
i know what people will say over this, but you so called 'experts' can't just guess/read it won't work

I wouldn't put any other reptiles in with Chameleons or another chameleon in a cage. Unless two chameleons were raised together then maybe.:D

LOL^^

I already knew that they were solitaire animals, I just wanted to see that if in the wild they had some kind of relationship to other animals. I read somewhere on her that someone kept and anole with their panther. It was suppose to be a feeder but it ended up just "hanging out" with their panther and didnt seem to be bother by it.

I would never keep another animal with my chameleons unless it was safe and didnt harm it in anyway.
Hi, I have a veiled chameleon and she lives happily with an Indian star tortoise, I bought a big screened cage, and added a box so there was more space for the tortoise

Hi, I have a veiled chameleon and she lives happily with an Indian star tortoise, I bought a big screened cage, and added a box so there was more space for the tortoise
Get ready to get crucified by all of us..... Jk... That’s dope dood.. Any pics?

Are there any other reptile that are compatible tank mates with chameleons?

It would be cool to see another animal interact with a chameleon.

Just a thought....
Why do ppl always put they opinion instead of an actual answer no one asked was it a good idea, they asked what animal could possibly live with one

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an old thread and the members involved may not be active at the moment so you may not get a response. The reason that no one mentioned a possible cage mate would be that there isn't one beyond insects for consumption. Chameleons are solitary animals and like having their territory to themselves except briefly during mating. For maximum life expectancy and good health is is a widely held opinion by experts that only one chameleon be kept per cage exclusive of other species.

Tank makes of enterly different species could work. But one must offer EXTREME enclosure sizes. Im
Talking like 15 ft minimum length and 6 feet width or beyond. Even then might not be guaranteed to work out with cohabitation of different species. It a controlled environment with no real freedom like in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom