Tamura Designs Ventilation

I’m gonna think it’s the screen on top , i’ve never checked the UV on a straight bulb . But I have the same issue was checking the UVI with the 6% at 3 inches I was less than 1.5 . And I’m not remembering what my readings were for the 12%. But I’ll check it when I get home.
It would be good to know... Because I have been saying the standard 8-9 inches with a 6% bulb should give you a 3 UVI with this cage. If a 12% is needed this would be important. Maybe Dale could test his as well. Because otherwise most people are going to go with the 6% since it is an aluminum screen top.

It would be good to know... Because I have been saying the standard 8-9 inches with a 6% bulb should give you a 3 UVI with this cage. If a 12% is needed this would be important. Maybe Dale could test his as well. Because otherwise most people are going to go with the 6% since it is an aluminum screen top.
I know I’ve changed out my zoomed xl 2x 2 x 4 also .. on my first cage it has a perforated stainless steel top not screen . So there’s definitely a disruption in the UVI. It also has to do with the cage size. Basking branches are a bit lower. I’ll go home and do some testing tonight or tomorrow night and give you an answer of what I found in my situation. 😊

I know I’ve changed out my zoomed xl 2x 2 x 4 also .. on my first cage it has a perforated stainless steel top not screen . So there’s definitely a disruption in the UVI. It also has to do with the cage size. Basking branches are a bit lower. I’ll go home and do some testing tonight or tomorrow night and give you an answer of what I found in my situation. 😊
Sounds good. I have run larger cages but only dragon strand. I had the atrium on that one the 6% bulb in a 4 foot single bulb fixture gave a 3 UVI 8-9 inches down. I have tested on DS, Reptibreeze, and DIY brand. All yield similar reduction levels allowing for a 6% to be used. All of them had the highest branches set 8-9 inches below the screen top and all had single bulb T5 fixtures sitting directly on the top of the screen.

As I need to buy a new fixture (and since I can’t see a way to rent a UV meter and they are a bit expensive), interested to know what to get. It would be cool to rent one as I’m also curious how much UV my fish tank bulbs put out for that spectrum and if we could see something similar to that one day (though, these lights are like $800 a pop so not likely worth it).

Sounds good. I have run larger cages but only dragon strand. I had the atrium on that one the 6% bulb in a 4 foot single bulb fixture gave a 3 UVI 8-9 inches down. I have tested on DS, Reptibreeze, and DIY brand. All yield similar reduction levels allowing for a 6% to be used. All of them had the highest branches set 8-9 inches below the screen top and all had single bulb T5 fixtures sitting directly on the top of the screen.
What I found is stainless steel top from tamura definitely blocks more UVB here’s a 12% at 9 inches
IMG_8367.jpeg
and this one is a screen top with a 6% at 9 inches
IMG_8368.jpeg

I pretty much had the same results. However no pictures sorry. My 12% is brand new and there were a few areas at 9 inches that were 4 or 4.5. I’m not sure if this will be a problem and I need to adjust it by raising it up further? The mesh seems to just be a tighter weave like that on my zen habitat. So I would also conclude it’s the mesh and the larger area. But I am still learning from experienced people like you guys ♥️

I pretty much had the same results. However no pictures sorry. My 12% is brand new and there were a few areas at 9 inches that were 4 or 4.5. I’m not sure if this will be a problem and I need to adjust it by raising it up further? The mesh seems to just be a tighter weave like that on my zen habitat. So I would also conclude it’s the mesh and the larger area. But I am still learning from experienced people like you guys ♥️
Are your readings taken directly down from the bulb or off to the side?

Is this safe?
So this is where it gets tricky.... Say your reading is pulling a 4.5 at branch level. You need to take the solarmeter and go higher to where the cham rises off the branch to see what your UVI is. You do not want them in exposure levels higher than a 6. Recommended exposure level is a 3 UVI.
Your levels will always reduce if your not right below the light. This is why I always recommend a branch that runs parallel to the UVB because off to the sides as you will see with your solarmeter the levels totally drop off the farther you are outside the direct line of the bulb.
Your bulbs will also always be stronger the first few weeks until they burn in. My levels run 4.0 easily at the branch using a 6% at 9 inches. This is with a brand new bulb. So after burn in these drop down to about 3.5 at the branch. Beman sits in areas that are 3 UVI up to about a 4.2 after burn in. With a new bulb his max hits at 5 where he is exposed.

So if I tried to run a 12% on mine he would be exposed to levels above a 6 where he rises off the branch.

So this is where it gets tricky.... Say your reading is pulling a 4.5 at branch level. You need to take the solarmeter and go higher to where the cham rises off the branch to see what your UVI is. You do not want them in exposure levels higher than a 6. Recommended exposure level is a 3 UVI.
Your levels will always reduce if your not right below the light. This is why I always recommend a branch that runs parallel to the UVB because off to the sides as you will see with your solarmeter the levels totally drop off the farther you are outside the direct line of the bulb.
Your bulbs will also always be stronger the first few weeks until they burn in. My levels run 4.0 easily at the branch using a 6% at 9 inches. This is with a brand new bulb. So after burn in these drop down to about 3.5 at the branch. Beman sits in areas that are 3 UVI up to about a 4.2 after burn in. With a new bulb his max hits at 5 where he is exposed.

So if I tried to run a 12% on mine he would be exposed to levels above a 6 where he rises off the branch.
Thank you so much for the thorough explanation ☺️

Problem is the screening mtls are so different between DIY vs one manf vs the next manf. I'm only getting readings of right at 1.5-2 with brand new bulbs in my enclosure with the recommended aluminum screen mtl at the recommended 8". As mentioned before, I don't think there is anyway I would want to tell someone this info, just to many variables. Luckily for me, after getting the meter, I had a 14" reptisun prof led/uvb laying around that I was able to incorporate into my lighting and now he has anywhere from 2-4 in his basking depending on exact sitting location and 1.5-2 everywhere else.

Without a meter this is all merely an educated guess.

Thanks and with that said, is a 6% better off if directly above the perching light with 9 inches of clearance?

Back
Top Bottom