Taming baby chameleon

zzzmaddy

Can someone tell me how any of you tamed your baby chameleon? I have about a 2 month old baby and I've had him for a week, i know thats not long but i want him to like me (well tolerate me lol). He'll get on my hand if i out it in front of him but he only gets on to get to the branch on the other side but when he gets out i take him out and let him crawl around for a little. But is there a way i can get him to come onto me himself? Or do you think its just to early? thanks

You can’t tame them. Either you get lucky or you don’t. If it doesn’t like you handling it then don’t. Hand feeding can help build trust but tha is about it. They are not pets that you “play” with

You should not be taming him/her this early. I recommend to not tame them, because they stress easily. Whenever I see a video on YouTube, especially made by an amateur, I want to scream. Just don't tame him right now, you can hold him every once in a while when he is older.

Agreed, wait till they are older and try to work with hand feeding. Eventually you can build trust with the chameleon and theyll associate you with food and tolerate the handling. Its hard to build that trust but easier to lose it lol.

In my opinion, it is good to build that trust (if possible since each animal is different) that way if you need to handle them itll be less stressful.

Remember that, by nature, they are a solitary animal so they have that natural instinct to avoid anything that moves or can possibly eat them.

In a month or two try to start working toward hand feeding. Take it slow since this will not happen overnight. It took me a month or two of holding a feeder cup in the enclosure for 20 minutes until my cham ate. Once he didnt hesitate to eat from the cup in my hand I started holding the feeders. If he didnt eat from my hand I used the cup. Slow but steady.

Back
Top Bottom