taking jackson home from HAwaii ok?

from what ive heard, you can take up to 15 jacksons and several poison dart frogs. you just need paperwork.. i have a professor who does this and now has babie chams. though they are exotics, also from what ive heard that these species are not considered harmful to the enviroment. ( though vieleds might be more destructive than jacksons) which is very rare for exotics.

Last edited:
How funny. I've known about the Veiledsin Florida for a while now. Read the paper online a few years back and have been wanting to head south to look for them. I know its a pretty specific area they were released into and last I read they were making an effort to erdicate the population. Apparently that never stuck? At any rate, I'm still interested in taking two adventures, the first to photo-hunt for these wild populations of Veileds and the second to photo-hunt the burmese python epidemic in the glades. I think the first is more obtainable right now, since I don't have many contacts that can take me into the glades for a day or three.

Luis

Luis:

You can see Burmese just by night cruising the roads right in ENP.

Just remember, it is a National Park, no handling and handling equipment should not be carried.....

There are no Trioceros species in Madagascar. The yellow-crested Jackson's chameleon occurs in Kenya and has not been exported in decades. On the other hand, most xantholophus for sale in the United States are of "farmed", mainland, sources (of Hawaiian origin) and require the same level of acclimation as an imported (or smuggled) animal from Hawaii, so purchasing them from a reputable source, such as FL Chams, makes more logistical sense to me.

never said this species or any tri's came from maddy. :) but thanks

my whole point, was that based on the time line alone, imports from hawaii have a better chance then typical imports.

IMHO when a forum member mentions or discusses parasites or troubles with wild caughts they are referring to imports from africa or maddy.

so i was comparing wc from those locations and importing from hawaii yourself.

there is a massive difference in the stress level and duration of stress alone.

never said this species or any tri's came from maddy. :) but thanks

my whole point, was that based on the time line alone, imports from hawaii have a better chance then typical imports.

IMHO when a forum member mentions or discusses parasites or troubles with wild caughts they are referring to imports from africa or maddy.

so i was comparing wc from those locations and importing from hawaii yourself.

there is a massive difference in the stress level and duration of stress alone.

Hey Josh,

I suppose that, since we were talking about jacksonii, the argument could have been made using Kenya as a reference rather than Madagascar. I understand your point, though, and I agree that in comparison to conventional import/export practices, selecting, collecting and importing a few animals yourself eliminates many of the problems associated with large-scale, commercial importation. I just don't think transit length or distance (whether from Madagascar, Kenya or Hawaii) has as much to do with stress levels (its duration or otherwise) as it does with how the whole process of exportation is handled (from collection, to holding, to shipping to distributing), as there are many responsible commercial exporters in Europe (and a few in Africa) who can deliver animals as "stress-free" as one you collected yourself in Hawaii.

Cheers,

Fabián

Taking Jacksons from Hawaii

I was not able to find anything about this statement however since I am planning a trip to maui in June, I am doing the foot work on finding out what is required, Today these are the questions I asked and the responses.
First off I called and talked to DLNR and they immediatly transferred me to dept of wildlife, that leads me to believe that the permits are now handled through wildlife, which really is where one would expect them to be handled...

Q: I'm trying to find out some information on the current restrictions and regulations on export of chameleons off the islands.

A: OK, you'd like to know the regulations on taking jackson chameleons out of the state, for personal use. You must obtain a permit and let us know when you plan on leaving, and you need to allow at least 2 weeks before you are leaving, You can take a maximum of 4 per household, and you must check with your airline to be sure they will allow you to take them.

Q: If my airline won't allow me to take them, can I ship them overnight?

A: The animals are not allowed to be shipped.

Q: American Airlines will not allow them in my checked baggage or in the cabin, however they will accept them as air freight, is that acceptable?

A: They must leave the island on the same plane as you, so freight is not allowed

Q: If I'm not going to be in hawaii for two weeks, is it possible to start the paperwork before I arrive?

A: If you can start the process about a month in advance of your departure, then you can start the process over the phone.

I think thats about all I covered on the phone with her, if anyone has any other questions the number to call is 808-587-0166 they are open I think from 7:45am till 5 or so.

Hope this info helps.

It hasnt been updated in 8 years apparently, but maybe still helpful?

Legality & restrictions on exporting

(THIS INFO WAS CURRENT AS OF 10/17/2000)

It is illegal to transport Jackson's from the Hawaiian Islands to the continental US without a permit from the (Hawaii) Department of Land & Natural Resources (DLNR). Doing so is a (class C) felony with a fine of $50,000 to $200,000. Also, it is a petty misdemeanor to transport Jackson's from island to island, and if caught this could result in a fine of up to $5,000. The DLNR will give a one-time permit (there are no fees involved) for up to four (4) animals per household for personal use. Permits are also given for an indefinite number of Jackson's for valid scientific research or educational purposes. There are no restrictions on the age, size or sex of the animals you take. These permits are only issued from the DLNR's main office in Honolulu, regardless of where the chameleons are purchased or collected. The requestor of the permit must be physically in the state of Hawaii, and can be obtained by calling or visiting the DLNR office at:

Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR)
Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFW)
1151 Punchbowl St., Rm. 325
Honolulu, HI 96813
(808) 587-0166
Contact person: Nancy Lisignioli

Again, do not request a permit until you are actually in the state of Hawaii. Although the office is in Honolulu, if you are on another island you can still request a permit and it will be faxed to you. According to the DLNR, scores of people have done/are doing this. However the airline you are traveling may have restrictions - some will not allow reptiles on board in the cabin or as luggage, so you may have to ship them as cargo. Make sure you check with the individual airline first.

UPDATE 2/7/01: You may have noticed lately that many stores are advertising Jackson's for sale from Hawaii, and they state that they were obtained legally. I recently read a post from a store stating that they obtained a shipment of Jackson's from "someone that was given a permit to remove the Jackson's from their property". Although this may have been said by the seller this is still illegal.

Exporting Jackson Chameleons

I would love to learn how to export animals like Jackson's chameleons to the US Mainland from Hawaii. If anyone knows the process. I find big ones in my yard all the time and sell them here for $20 each:)

Any person wanting to export a chameleon from Hawaii must obtain an export permit from the Division of Forestry and Wildlife office on the island of Oahu only. The office is located at 1151 Punchbowl St., Rm. 325, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 (808) 587-0166. We will need your photo identification card. Whether you catch it yourself or purchase it you still need an export permit. The maximum number you can export is four, and you may only do so one time. You may not export chameleons for commercial purposes. Jackson’s Chameleons are an endangered species in their native range. Therefore, to export a chameleon to another country, you must also obtain a Cites permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Call (808) 861-8525. ...... but there a loop hole Hawaii does not allow Chameleons to leave the state except as hand carried animals. It is illegal to mail them.

I may be wrong, but last I knew they were protected from capturing/keeping and export from the island.

they are not a native species there and i think they are going to be taking measures pretty soon to "control" there population numbers on the islands...

i am from hawaii and jacksons have been classified as a invasive species feeding on native insects and tree snails http://entophile.com/2009/10/28/jacksons-chameleons-killers-of-hawaii-insects-and-snails/ .......http://www.luckyreptiles.nl/Hawaii.pdf so i have began to collect them from the wild and raise them at my house to try and help lessen the ecologic impact they might have on the island .. i just recently caught a beautiful wild red phase female here in hawaii
photo.php

am from hawaii and jacksons have been classified as a invasive species feeding on native insects and tree snails http://entophile.com/2009/10/28/jacksons-chameleons-killers-of-hawaii-insects-and-snails/ .......http://www.luckyreptiles.nl/Hawaii.pdf so i have began to collect them from the wild and raise them at my house to try and help lessen the ecologic impact they might have on the island .. i just recently caught a beautiful wild red phase female here in hawaii
photo.php

I knew that i had seen somthing about them not beeing native and considered a destructive introduced species..

Jackson’s Chameleons are an endangered species in their native range. Therefore, to export a chameleon to another country, you must also obtain a Cites permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

No, you are incorrect. Jackson's are not endangered in their native range. They are, however, managed through CITES permits and annual export/import quotas that are supposedly designed to keep the wild population from declining under collection pressure. If they were listed as endangered, the species would be listed and managed differently under CITES (Appendix A). Threatened and Endangered wildlife cannot be exported or imported unless through a zoo or institution or for recovery programs.

Be careful using terms such as "endangered"...it has a very specific legal definition.

I knew that i had seen somthing about them not beeing native and considered a destructive introduced species..

Yes. Jackson's were released illegally in HI along with many other plants and animals over the years. They are considered destructive because they are an insect predator...and many of HI's most endangered species are their endemic insects. Some of these insects are the only known pollinators for HI endangered plants. One little careless action creates a whole chain of bad things.

Yes. Jackson's were released illegally in HI along with many other plants and animals over the years. They are considered destructive because they are an insect predator...and many of HI's most endangered species are their endemic insects. Some of these insects are the only known pollinators for HI endangered plants. One little careless action creates a whole chain of bad things.

the ol' butterfly effect lol..

either way i want to go to hawaii and check out some chams walking around..

I got my permit today....going next week. I am not sure if I will be bringing any back but just in case I wanted to have the option.

What Island(s) there are you going to??? I was on Maui last year,the only jacksons I saw were the ones at a pet store( LOL)...and some other wild caught ones at a botanical garden in the upcountry of the island...

What Island(s) there are you going to??? I was on Maui last year,the only jacksons I saw were the ones at a pet store( LOL)...and some other wild caught one at a botanical garden in the upcountry of the island...

Kauai, I don't really have any intentions on bringing any back but wanted to have the option if I felt like it:D

I really loved it there can't wait to go back...
Heres a pic of me and the wife there..
Shes the one on the left!!!!!!

Attachments

• P1010071.jpg
    P1010071.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 200
Went to Maui & Oahu. I never could find any in the wild. We even went on the the road to Hanna and couldnt find any on maui. I heard they are easier to find on Oahu. But I couldnt spot any. Tried to talk the ex into going out at night with flashlights. That didnt go over so well. I think it would be easier to spot them at nite.

You'll love Kaui, Both Kaui & Maui are bad a--! I cant stand Oahu. Its overpopulated and the traffic sucks big time. The north shore is cool but Honalulu sucks.

Back
Top Bottom