taking jackson home from HAwaii ok?

The TSA people do not mind hand checking your chameleons, the problem lies with the airline. Put your chams into a carry on bag & DON'T LET ANYONE know what your carrying.

That sounds TOTALLY legal! LOL..

What about like Laurie and shipping them back via overnight? I know its more costly than carrying them home, but it might avoid the issues with the airline, unless of course,this would be just as difficult..

Several years ago, you could get a one time permit per household to bring home 4 Jacksons. I believe you can get the forms through the Department of Natural Land Resouces. I don't have the number, but I'm sure you could get the number in the phone book or internet.
The forums could be emailed, faxed or what ever.
You just want to make sure your airline will accept live animals and make sure you follow the proper procedures.

Heres what I found

It hasnt been updated in 8 years apparently, but maybe still helpful?

Legality & restrictions on exporting

(THIS INFO WAS CURRENT AS OF 10/17/2000)

It is illegal to transport Jackson's from the Hawaiian Islands to the continental US without a permit from the (Hawaii) Department of Land & Natural Resources (DLNR). Doing so is a (class C) felony with a fine of $50,000 to $200,000. Also, it is a petty misdemeanor to transport Jackson's from island to island, and if caught this could result in a fine of up to $5,000. The DLNR will give a one-time permit (there are no fees involved) for up to four (4) animals per household for personal use. Permits are also given for an indefinite number of Jackson's for valid scientific research or educational purposes. There are no restrictions on the age, size or sex of the animals you take. These permits are only issued from the DLNR's main office in Honolulu, regardless of where the chameleons are purchased or collected. The requestor of the permit must be physically in the state of Hawaii, and can be obtained by calling or visiting the DLNR office at:

Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR)
Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFW)
1151 Punchbowl St., Rm. 325
Honolulu, HI 96813
(808) 587-0166
Contact person: Nancy Lisignioli

Again, do not request a permit until you are actually in the state of Hawaii. Although the office is in Honolulu, if you are on another island you can still request a permit and it will be faxed to you. According to the DLNR, scores of people have done/are doing this. However the airline you are traveling may have restrictions - some will not allow reptiles on board in the cabin or as luggage, so you may have to ship them as cargo. Make sure you check with the individual airline first.

UPDATE 2/7/01: You may have noticed lately that many stores are advertising Jackson's for sale from Hawaii, and they state that they were obtained legally. I recently read a post from a store stating that they obtained a shipment of Jackson's from "someone that was given a permit to remove the Jackson's from their property". Although this may have been said by the seller this is still illegal.

Can you do this if you live in Canada:confused: a bit off topic but I am so disappointed there are so little breeders here:mad:

Can you do this if you live in Canada:confused: a bit off topic but I am so disappointed there are so little breeders here:mad:
I am assuming you can probably catch the jackson and get the permit from Hawaii.
Bringing it back home to Canada, HOWEVER, is a whole different story.

I just moved back from hawaii in 2006. The laws have recently changed, go to hawawii.gov.org to check the most recent laws regarding animals importing and exporting. I'm not 100 percent on reptiles but it used to be quarantine for every animal that went in and that's no longer the case. I was able to have a simple waiting period to bring my dog there. and coming out of hawaii was less restricting. There are costs involved, with hawaii and the airlines. I lived there for a whole year and never ONCE saw jacksons wild. Good Luck.

but i wouldnt count on them be as severe as wc imports from maddy.

There are no Trioceros species in Madagascar. The yellow-crested Jackson's chameleon occurs in Kenya and has not been exported in decades. On the other hand, most xantholophus for sale in the United States are of "farmed", mainland, sources (of Hawaiian origin) and require the same level of acclimation as an imported (or smuggled) animal from Hawaii, so purchasing them from a reputable source, such as FL Chams, makes more logistical sense to me.

Seeing them in the "wild" would be a fantastic experience, though.

I don't know about Jackson's, but catching my Florida locality Veiled was one of my most fun herping experiences.....:D

WHERE THE HECK ARE THOSE GUYS!!!!! I want to go find one soooooooo freaking bad!!!!! (the florida veilds)

side note

Next vacation: Hawaii

Fo' Sho'

on the west coast from what i have heard. I still thing it is amazing that these animals Have adapted to live Florida...crazy...

i sent you a message about my florida veiled expedition.

the only problem with veileds adapting to live in florida is that there are basic rules when it comes to wildlife. One of those being that 2 animals that share the same niche can not coexist. Basically because one will out hunt the others food and take over territories. I dont think it has been established if the veiled would be taking over another niche, but it would probably take a while for that to actually happen. I would assume it would hurt local bird populations, but no telling.

The reason you can't bring other chameleons to hawaii is because the jackson basically thrived in hawaii and over populated the island because it was an exotic and the other insects/prey were not used to a chameleon with a tongue that could get them so they had no natural defense.

Back
Top Bottom