T. montium hatching

GCash

Avid Member
The first of my clutch of montium eggs began to hatch today. These are CH from a WC female imported back in Dec. I didn't think the female was even going to survive to laying when she came in. Got her back in enough shape to lay the eggs and thought for sure she was done for after that. She kept trying as hard as I did and after a looooong road to recovery, which she's still on, she is still with me. Tough girl. Two have hatched and one pipped so far out of the clutch of 10. The two so far seem to be showing good vigor but I know to not get my hopes up too soon on neonates whose gestation occurred during importation. Fingers crossed.

As if this isn't enough excitement for one day, I have a second unrelated retained clutch of 7 that is about a month behind this one whose Dam mated with my unrelated male today. And all this in the middle of a 36 cage build. It's a welcome distraction, but Geez. All or nothing I guess.

It's only letting me attach one picture so more will follow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 401
The first of my clutch of montium eggs began to hatch today. These are CH from a WC female imported back in Dec. I didn't think the female was even going to survive to laying when she came in. Got her back in enough shape to lay the eggs and thought for sure she was done for after that. She kept trying as hard as I did and after a looooong road to recovery, which she's still on, she is still with me. Tough girl. Two have hatched and one pipped so far out of the clutch of 10. The two so far seem to be showing good vigor but I know to not get my hopes up too soon on neonates whose gestation occurred during importation. Fingers crossed.

As if this isn't enough excitement for one day, I have a second unrelated retained clutch of 7 that is about a month behind this one whose Dam mated with my unrelated male today. And all this in the middle of a 36 cage build. It's a welcome distraction, but Geez. All or nothing I guess.

It's only letting me attach one picture so more will follow.

Great news! Congrats, here's hoping your little ones are just as tough as Mom!

That's really cool, such a neat species. Good to hear your female recovered too. Have you posted pictures of your cage build?

Thanks to you too, Craig. Glad to see a few people still appreciate them amongst all the new quota species we've seen lately. I still haven't heard of anyone else working with any of the other ones that came in with this import besides Sam at Backwater getting a clutch. She's definitely a little worse for wear and carries her journey on her face, but I'm happy to have been able to tell her earlier today that her babies are hatching, weather it meant nothing to her or not.

Haven't posted pics of the cages yet. I'll try to throw some in here shortly. I'm on my phone and having to one at a time it. Sorry for the bad pic. It was through the screen so I didn't disturb them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 405
He chased her all over the place. Luckily she was game, she just wanted to make him work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 373
I know of another person working with them. His name is Gary Hoag. He lives in California. I know he has eggs and maybe babies.

Great to hear! Thanks for the heads up. Is he on the forums? I'd love to get in touch.

Here's the first dozen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 369
And the second. Waiting to get moved into place and set up(supposed to have been today). Getting ready to start on the third. They're smaller. Six per rack.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 405
I don't think he's on here but he's on FB. Are you on FB? What do you do for drainage on your cages?

I'm not. If I had any more to keep up with, I'd never get any of it done. Bulkheads under the drainage layer tied into a collection tray underneath for now. It's bio-active.

Congrats and good luck with the babies! They are definitely underrated and an awesome species. I wanted to work with them when they came in this year but all the ones I saw looked really rough and I wasn't brave enough to get them.

Congrats! This is a great species. Watching their horns and sails come in as they grow was always fun.

Chris

Thanks Chris, and for sharing as much info on these as you and a few others have. You've all been a big help. I'm especially looking forward to the males little snub noses as the horns start coming in.

Congrats and good luck with the babies! They are definitely underrated and an awesome species. I wanted to work with them when they came in this year but all the ones I saw looked really rough and I wasn't brave enough to get them.

Thank you, too, Frank. If all goes well and I get some extra unrelated pairs, I'll let you know(and you as well rshewfel, I haven't forgot). Would love to see them go to good homes, obviously. With some luck and fingers crossed.

Congrats Gene! They are an awesome species.
Your setup is amazing too:)

And then there was Tylene. Thanks so much as well. I just got the 10th one out of the incubator. All hatched. Now if I can just get them through the next leg of the race. Good luck and best wishes to everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom