Swollen eye with scratch/burn

I also treated the wound edges with silvadene cream being careful not to get it in the eye to prevent secondary infection. The Amakacin should do that for you.
As for life expectancy 6 years for males is a strong possibility.
I think if it really was painful you would see sunken eyes and an unwillingness to chew food. I don’t doubt it is uncomfortable but probably not excruciating. I wouldn’t turn down pain management if recommended by your vet.

Just an update. Cassidy’s eye seems much better and the wound is healing nicely. He tolerates the oral meds better than the injections. The swelling has not returned. All was seeming fine until this morning. I found him at the bottom of his cage. His legs seem fine and he has a strong grip in his tail and all four feet. He walks oriented on my hands while giving meds and inspecting him. However when he is in his cage he is leaning to the side. Even laying on his side. Clumsy and not moving. I have noticed his mouth the last few days has a lot of mucous. Clear, stringy, and web like outside of his mouth. Emailed w his vet who is out of the country for two weeks. He suggests clearing his mouth and continuing meds. I have him in a container in his cage to prevent falls and am monitoring closely. His eyes seem to be tracking less… could it be that after so much time so mss add my antibiotics he is having organ failure? Not eating. Took liquids through a syringe orally… ughh it’s so heart breaking.

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpeg
    IMG_1600.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 72788702632__925E4EA5-A91F-46F4-AD3B-263CD417AF5F.jpeg
    72788702632__925E4EA5-A91F-46F4-AD3B-263CD417AF5F.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 72789291234__4CF96821-1864-44FE-9FF5-DA19246B3228.jpeg
    72789291234__4CF96821-1864-44FE-9FF5-DA19246B3228.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 72789943865__815E009D-E76C-493F-83B6-C776B69BF854.jpeg
    72789943865__815E009D-E76C-493F-83B6-C776B69BF854.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 12
  • 72789444593__4C443328-5A4C-401A-83DC-DA0AF2F4CD3A.jpeg
    72789444593__4C443328-5A4C-401A-83DC-DA0AF2F4CD3A.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 14
Terrible if your chameleon gets sick and you can only watch and hoping for the best. My mind is with you both 🙏🏻. You’re doing so great and everything for your poor Cassidy. I’m not experienced with meds, but sounds reasonable @JacksJill and @dinomom have more experience with this. Only thing that crosses my mind is supplementation, when was the last time he had multivitamin? This could be outbalanced and would explain a lot, except the mucous.

@JacksJill ive been emailing w the vet who is out of the country (such a wonderful vet) . He called in 14 days ceflorfur injections. ❤️ I just picked it up. Do you think an RI could explain the unbalance and eyes not tracking? I’m really worried about that. My guess is the mucous and gapping yes but he is very unbalanced and it’s like is eyes are not focusing. He has no fight in him either. No hissing, no trying to bite, or run away. Sad

@JacksJill ive been emailing w the vet who is out of the country (such a wonderful vet) . He called in 14 days ceflorfur injections. ❤️ I just picked it up. Do you think an RI could explain the unbalance and eyes not tracking? I’m really worried about that. My guess is the mucous and gapping yes but he is very unbalanced and it’s like is eyes are not focusing. He has no fight in him either. No hissing, no trying to bite, or run away. Sad
RI could involve sinuses potentially. Very glad antibiotic changed from Amikacin that one is nasty.

Can you tempt him to eat Silks
or hornworms? He needs the hydration.

He won’t eat those ever and now he won’t eat anything. I’ve been giving him water with a dropper. He has been on every antibiotic under the sun. The syringes they gave me are too big. Office is closed now and I can’t get them to draw in insulin syringes… I just don’t know what do with him. I just wish they would give me something to put him down humanly. This is so traumatic for him.

He won’t eat those ever and now he won’t eat anything. I’ve been giving him water with a dropper. He has been on every antibiotic under the sun. The syringes they gave me are too big. Office is closed now and I can’t get them to draw in insulin syringes… I just don’t know what do with him. I just wish they would give me something to put him down humanly. This is so traumatic for him.
I am so sorry to hear he is not doing well.

You might ask if the vet is willing to give you some syringes of saline to give subQ fluids for even 2-3 days, sometimes it can make a huge difference.

If he is not perking up after that and you feel he is suffering, then most vets would agree to a compassionate euthanasia.

We are all pulling for him but for you as well, as this is so difficult to go through.

I sent the vet pics of the syringes they gave me. Turns out the techs gave me the wrong dose .3 instead of .03 and the wrong syringes. Luckily I couldn’t get it into him anyhow! They are going to dose up the correct meds and I’ll pick it up tomorrow. I will ask about that too. I will definitely keep you all posted. Thanks for the support and sorry for my emo post lol. I was literally ugly crying as I was typing that message. I mean look at these things! They gave me the blue ones and it should be the small ones. Ughh

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 10
I sent the vet pics of the syringes they gave me. Turns out the techs gave me the wrong dose .3 instead of .03 and the wrong syringes. Luckily I couldn’t get it into him anyhow! They are going to dose up the correct meds and I’ll pick it up tomorrow. I will ask about that too. I will definitely keep you all posted. Thanks for the support and sorry for my emo post lol. I was literally ugly crying as I was typing that message. I mean look at these things! They gave me the blue ones and it should be the small ones. Ughh
OMG that is 10X the dose. Hopefully the vet will get you straightened out!

I personally think it is less stressful for the cham to give a quick jab in the leg versus giving oral meds-they are bitter and really unpleasant for the cham. I got to the point that I could do this without even taking the cham off the branch, just lifting the leg a little; in other words not having to restrain them which is what they hate the most.

Tomorrow will be a better day!

Sending you virtual hugs as well, this so horrible for the both of you. Nothing worst than an animal struggling and you can‘t directly help it. No worries about your emo thoughts that’s why’re we are here as well

Hang in there Cassidy 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Loading Hug GIF by MOODMAN

Unfortunately I’m not familiar with liquid diets for chameleons. I believe Miss Skittles might be though.
Unfortunately, I am. My vets have given me carnivore critical care, but one said I could use ReptaBoost instead if I chose. I’m not sure where, aside from Amazon, to buy the critical care, but ReptaBoost is available at big box pet stores. Then there is bug juice. https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

I use a cricket powder made for people. I mix it with water and the appropriate supplements as needed.
Entomo crickets powder be sure to get unflavored and unenriched. I make a gruel and start with very small amounts. You don’t want to overdo it so just a tenth of a ml or 2 to start with one his size.

Thanks everyone! Any thoughts on food for him while he is not eating? Thoughts on grub pie? @JacksJill @Sonny13 @dinomom @elizaann2 @MissSkittles
I have used Carnivore Critical Care successfully with frogs. Some of the proteins are pre-digested so it is good for very debilitated animals; however, it has a lot of supplements in it which would make me nervous to use for more than a couple of days.

I like the idea of the cricket powder a lot!

Back
Top Bottom