Swollen eye with scratch/burn

Cassidy’s eye issue reemergence almost exactly one year later! Super lucky that the very who treated him last year started a mobile exotic vet clinic! They even do virtual appointments and can prescribe via the appointment as long as they have treated the animal before. It was amazing to do a 20 min virtual visit and get the rx he needs! Looking at another 10 dose/30 day injectable antibiotic. We are both not 100% sure of the cause? Could this be an allergen? Weather change relayed? It may be a mystery forever but he is almost 4 and figured we’d continue our journey where it began! Wish us luck this time around!
IMG_6966.jpeg

Cassidy’s eye issue reemergence almost exactly one year later! Super lucky that the very who treated him last year started a mobile exotic vet clinic! They even do virtual appointments and can prescribe via the appointment as long as they have treated the animal before. It was amazing to do a 20 min virtual visit and get the rx he needs! Looking at another 10 dose/30 day injectable antibiotic. We are both not 100% sure of the cause? Could this be an allergen? Weather change relayed? It may be a mystery forever but he is almost 4 and figured we’d continue our journey where it began! Wish us luck this time around!
View attachment 341570
I’m sorry it came back and hoping for a swift recovery for Cassidy.
Did he shed recently? I notice my Xanth rubs his eyes against branches when he’s around or during shedding. Maybe this causes your boys infection, debris in his eyes.

Did he shed recently? I notice my Xanth rubs his eyes against branches when he’s around or during shedding. Maybe this causes your boys infection, debris in his eyes.
I’ve never heard him referred to as that type. He iJacksonii
I’ve never heard him referred to as that breed. He is a rainbow Jackson. @JacksJill could tell you more lol. He did have a shed recently but last year it seemed to be more of an infection. 10 doses of ceft fixed him right up (after bouncing vet to vet troubleshooting). I find it odd that it’s the same time of the year. Definitely leaning more row and allergy. It also both time resulted in slight swelling in the roof of his mouth on the same side as the eye. Just like last time, he is eating, drinking, pooping well. I feel like I caught it early this time. Last year it was twice as big!

I’ve never heard him referred to as that type. He iJacksonii

I’ve never heard him referred to as that breed. He is a rainbow Jackson. @JacksJill could tell you more lol. He did have a shed recently but last year it seemed to be more of an infection. 10 doses of ceft fixed him right up (after bouncing vet to vet troubleshooting). I find it odd that it’s the same time of the year. Definitely leaning more row and allergy. It also both time resulted in slight swelling in the roof of his mouth on the same side as the eye. Just like last time, he is eating, drinking, pooping well. I feel like I caught it early this time. Last year it was twice as big!
I know about Cassidy, but mine is a Xantholophus. It could also be supplement thing, has he been outside lately?

@JacksJill is the absolute expert with Jackson’s

He is a jacksonii jacksonii. Xanth or jacksonii xantholophus is the larger more common subspecies.

I'm afraid once they have had an eye infection or temporal gland infection they will always be susceptible to reinfection. If I was going to guess I would say the scar tissue left from previous infections is vulnerable to infection. Since you caught it early it should respond to treatment well.

Thank you! He does not go outside. We live in MA so weather is iffy. I tried bringing him out a few times when I first got him but he hates being touched so kind of gave up on it🤣

Oh where to start! Cassidy’s eye issue continues. The highly qualified vet has been prescribing him Ceftazine since August. He was seen today and he is now on SMZ-TMZp oral once a day. At today’s visit the vet made an incision just under his eye and flushed it. I cannot even describe the nastiness that was flushed out! Super gross. He wants me to do 4 injections of Amikacin into the incision point over the next two weeks. Cassidy has been battling this “sinus issue, abscess” for off and on three years. He will be 4 in a few days. Cassidy is not an easy handle and this all has been stressful on us both lol. Aside from that he is eating, drinking, popping, peeing (for lack of a better word). I know he is in great hand with this vet and we have seen a few different ones in the beginning. I guess my question here is quality of life…. I don’t know if the sinus abscess is painful to him… I mean his colors are great, he is acting healthy, and so on. Just thinking where he is 4 (life expectancy 3-5). Is it right to be pumping him full of medicine 24/7? The vet is hopeful that these two medications along with the flushing today may be successful by the did also mention that he may just need to be on the oral for the rest of his days…. I mean the oral medication once daily sounds better to me than the injections of Ceftazine every three days…. But then I have to pull him out of his cage DAILY now… thoughts? Thanks in advance! Tagging @JacksJill @Sonny13 attaching a few pics too 1. Yesterday while he was sleeping 2. The incision 3. Current (there is a ton of blood dried from the incision this morning it is not actively bleeding). Thanks again and input is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1506.jpeg
    IMG_1506.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 14
Btw I am a tad dramatic apparently 😂 he’s has not been battling this for three years lol it been since May ‘22 lol it does feel like three years though😂😂

What kind of bugs have you been feeding him? I know sometimes that bugs can bite the chameleon, so that might explain the puffiness, but Idk about the scratch? @Beman do you know?

Crickets and bsfl are the go tos. It’s definitely an infection within his sinuses not sure if that’s the proper word for it when it comes to chameleons. The newest attached picture are before and after the incision to flush it out. The only areas on him that are affected is around the right eye and the roof of the right mouth. Other than that he is fine. Perhaps a cricket is the origin of this but it’s been off and on for almost two years. I just worry about pumping him full of all of these different meds. I’m hoping the flushing and current treatment fixed is but if it doesn’t he may be on antibiotics indefinitely… I just don’t know. The good thing is that this is literally the best exotic vet around in the state and probably all of New England.

I’ve been dealing with this in Rex for years also. Recently it ruptured and I have been flushing it with diluted iodine solution and tmp/smz orals. He has finally turned a corner towards healing. Don’t let how it looks now (I know it’s terrible) discourage you. Give it a couple more weeks see if lancing and treatment doesn’t resolve it for good.

Unfortunately this time I don’t have any good advise. Hopefully your little wonderful boy pulls through, poor thing.
I totally understand your feeling and this would cross my mind as well if I was in your position. But don’t yet give up on if he doesn’t look in pain or uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom