Swollen eye with scratch/burn

Erica1884

Avid Member
Hello! I noticed today that Cassidy has a swollen bottom eye. He also has a scratch or burn near the underneath of the swollen area. I carefully put some silvex on the scratch burn area. I don’t think it’s a burn. A few weeks ago he had a scratch on his back leg (this resolved completely). I’m going to search his cage to see if there is something sharp that may be to blame but I am concerned about the eye. Today is the first day it’s been noted, I have a vet apt in July (everywhere is super booked-thanks to Covid). Any thoughts on what it may be? He is fine otherwise, anything I should do? @JacksJill

Attachments

• 02860320-15B9-4365-9007-6FFE59D21E66.jpeg
    02860320-15B9-4365-9007-6FFE59D21E66.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 103
Thank you! He’s not very happy since I touched him earlier🤦🏽‍♀️ I just got this one.

Attachments

• 621C7A5C-AE4D-4749-8489-76CDB2EFF363.jpeg
    621C7A5C-AE4D-4749-8489-76CDB2EFF363.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 88
A vet visit might be a good idea.
Thanks I’ll call Tuesday. I know they are super booked…. My bearded has an apt on July 18 and that was the soonest they had available a week or two ago. My plan was to have Cassidy go in the bds place since the Bd issue has resolved. Fingers crossed they can see him sooner.

Thanks I’ll call Tuesday. I know they are super booked…. My bearded has an apt on July 18 and that was the soonest they had available a week or two ago. My plan was to have Cassidy go in the bds place since the Bd issue has resolved. Fingers crossed they can see him sooner.
I found a few recommendations for other vets in the area too. Will keep you all posted

I hope you can get him into the vets real soon! He’s so pretty!
Thank you! I made him an appointment at a different office for Wednesday. He is eating drinking and acting 100% fine. He was shedding so my hope is he rubbed up against something (stick or zip tie ) in the cage… doing Silvex until he’s seen. Hoping it will resolve over the next few days. If it appears to get worse I’ll emergency vet him.

Thank you!
It looks a little better already. Not a ton but a little. He is super pissed that I’ve had to touch him😂. What would I be looking for at the corner of his mouth. He opened his mouth and hissed at me a great deal yesterday and today when I reapplied the Silvex. I didn’t notice anything near the corners of his mouth. I am being super cautious around the eye and only putting only a tiny bit as far way from the eye as possible.

It looks a little better already. Not a ton but a little. He is super pissed that I’ve had to touch him😂. What would I be looking for at the corner of his mouth. He opened his mouth and hissed at me a great deal yesterday and today when I reapplied the Silvex. I didn’t notice anything near the corners of his mouth. I am being super cautious around the eye and only putting only a tiny bit as far way from the eye as possible.
I googled it. Definitely does not have any swelling around the corner of his mouth. Thanks! I’ll keep you posted.

At the vet they are thinking that it may be an infection and are prescribing antibiotics 7-14 days for can someone one peek at this medication and dx and let me know thoughts? Thanks @JacksJill

Attachments

• FEDCFCA7-05CF-4A70-8EFC-755CDF324EFD.jpeg
    FEDCFCA7-05CF-4A70-8EFC-755CDF324EFD.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 85
  • AC6D96EC-EE50-4EB0-8194-E1250389A34F.jpeg
    AC6D96EC-EE50-4EB0-8194-E1250389A34F.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 88
I'm not a fan of Baytril because it is hard on the kidneys. I prefer TMP/SMZ to start and to use Baytril only if the first antibiotic is not working. If you do start with Baytril pay close attention to keeping him hydrated. I would do extra hand mistings daily or add silks and hornworms to his diet while he is on it.
He looks bruised across his middle or is that just stress coloring?

I'm not a fan of Baytril because it is hard on the kidneys. I prefer TMP/SMZ to start and to use Baytril only if the first antibiotic is not working. If you do start with Baytril pay close attention to keeping him hydrated. I would do extra hand mistings daily or add silks and hornworms to his diet while he is on it.
He looks bruised across his middle or is that just stress coloring?
Thank you! That was stress. He had a tough day! I gave him one dose. I can try calling the vet tomorrow and see if he’ll prescribe something else one if the listed above. This was his first travel aside from being shipped!

Thank you! That was stress. He had a tough day! I gave him one dose. I can try calling the vet tomorrow and see if he’ll prescribe something else one if the listed above. This was his first travel aside from being shipped!
I talked to the office and the vet is back on Sunday I advocated for a less aggressive antibiotic but they said this was all they had. I will follow up on Sunday but am increasing mistings. I’m also ordering some horned worms. He has never eaten horned or slim worms. I have tried but has always refused. Refuses Dubias too. The only things he will eat are crickets and bsfl. Very picky

Hornworms and silkworms don’t move around like other feeders, which may be why he hasn’t really shown interest in them before. I always put the horns and silks on the back of my hand while my cham is watching so he or she can see the worm move. If need be, I’ll give the worm a gentle poke to get it to move. Once your guy learns how yummy they are, it’ll become much easier to offer them. Hornworms do have super sticky feet and have resulted in cham’s pulling their tongues. This is why I only feed them off my hand.

Thanks! I’ll definitely give it a shot. He doesn’t like my hand either lol. Especially after the last few days. He is very shy and has a large setup he can hide from me in! We never got too far with hand feeding, I never had enough patience and we is pretty stubborn!

Back
Top Bottom