Swollen eye with scratch/burn

The vet said I had two options for the antibiotics in the muscle where they showed me or under the skin by his waist . She started to show me to pinch the skin near his waist and I was like “nope! Arm is fine!” Ughh

She showed me just to put one drop over one nostril at a time, basically he sucked some in when he inhaled… I’m not going to lie it looked sad 😢 and after wards he was all sour faced for a few seconds. He was definitely acting normal after a few moments. And seems fine but it was odd. I mean maybe it’s like a Flonase equivalent? She said the eyes, nose, mouth are all connected (like ours) and that getting the solution in every part was what we wanted

I’m just super nervous of doing the wrong thing and there is so much mixed up information out there! I have 200% faith in the odd pet vet and this group but can’t be seen there until 7/18. This vet definitely gave me some mixed up info about husbandry and humidity and asked if I used an outside source (some .com something) and I said no lol I just do what his breeder told me too😂

Then I have some weirdo on Facebook saying he has MBD because his horns are curved🤷🏽‍♀️I’m like seriously? They’ve always been like that! Ughh too much mixed info😂

I haven't any personal experience with this problem, if the diagnosis is correct. It sounds plausible to me. The nose and eye drops make some sense if you are trying to treat something on both sides of a plugged lacrimal duct. Maybe this vet believes or has experience with people damaging the tongue when giving oral medication. I've given hundreds or maybe thousands of oral doses between my career and my hobby without incident but I did have formal training. I don't know of any reports of damage on here from oral meds but certainly people have put things down the wrong pipe on occasion with fatal results.
I like that this vet stained the eye to check for ulcers or scratches and hopefully to check to see if the dye went through prior to flushing. To me it indicates a more thorough exam. It should always be done before applying steroids to the eyes. Steroids keep ulcers from healing.
The injectable medication is broad spectrum (works on a lot of different bacteria) is also known as Fornaz. It is eliminated by the kidneys and must be given above the waist as @kinyonga mentioned. You may see bruises at the injection site and you don't want it to go into an artery. There is a lower risk if it is given under the skin of the side where the elbow meets the body rather than in the muscle of a limb. Either way it a very small risk. If you see blood in the syringe when you pull back don't inject. Continue to keep him hydrated to help him eliminate it rather than to protect his kidneys from damage as with Baytril. Just make sure he has access with a dripper or other daytime water source. If you chose to hand mist him extra it doesn't need to be daily. This just isn't the time to let his mister run dry.
As to the horns and MBD. His mother had three clutches/litters and all the males had the same horns. She had very unique spiral horns but was wild caught so what the father had is anyone's guess. All of the clutches were raised outdoors except for a few I took to raise individually. They all had a standard supplement schedule. I don't recall what the prior owner used as a multi vitamin but it was standard. I still have one male from her first clutch that I don't breed even with his amazing colors and size because I think the down turn is genetic. They have shown no symptoms of MBD and seem to be going strong.
I hope this treatment solves the problem for him and you. He will forgive you eventually.

I haven't any personal experience with this problem, if the diagnosis is correct. It sounds plausible to me. The nose and eye drops make some sense if you are trying to treat something on both sides of a plugged lacrimal duct. Maybe this vet believes or has experience with people damaging the tongue when giving oral medication. I've given hundreds or maybe thousands of oral doses between my career and my hobby without incident but I did have formal training. I don't know of any reports of damage on here from oral meds but certainly people have put things down the wrong pipe on occasion with fatal results.
I like that this vet stained the eye to check for ulcers or scratches and hopefully to check to see if the dye went through prior to flushing. To me it indicates a more thorough exam. It should always be done before applying steroids to the eyes. Steroids keep ulcers from healing.
The injectable medication is broad spectrum (works on a lot of different bacteria) is also known as Fornaz. It is eliminated by the kidneys and must be given above the waist as @kinyonga mentioned. You may see bruises at the injection site and you don't want it to go into an artery. There is a lower risk if it is given under the skin of the side where the elbow meets the body rather than in the muscle of a limb. Either way it a very small risk. If you see blood in the syringe when you pull back don't inject. Continue to keep him hydrated to help him eliminate it rather than to protect his kidneys from damage as with Baytril. Just make sure he has access with a dripper or other daytime water source. If you chose
Thank you!!! Yes! They did show me the blood in the syringe thing and to not inject if that is noted. I was very irritated by this person who mentioned the mbd thing! Thank you as always for taking in the time to review and provide input. I feel confident that Cassidy is always well hydrated! With the dropper and extra misting I am sure he will be fine. He is really great about drinking ! I did reach out to my vet of choice (the July 18 apt) and let them know what was going on and that I will be bringing Cassidy instead of the bearded for that apt just to get a second opinion. He also has a follow up with the current vet on July 6th. Thanks all!!!

Hello! I noticed today that Cassidy has a swollen bottom eye. He also has a scratch or burn near the underneath of the swollen area. I carefully put some silvex on the scratch burn area. I don’t think it’s a burn. A few weeks ago he had a scratch on his back leg (this resolved completely). I’m going to search his cage to see if there is something sharp that may be to blame but I am concerned about the eye. Today is the first day it’s been noted, I have a vet apt in July (everywhere is super booked-thanks to Covid). Any thoughts on what it may be? He is fine otherwise, anything I should do? @JacksJill
Hi. I’m so sorry your Cham is probably miserable. I just had to take my 7-month-old blue panther chameleon to the vet for the first time due to his right eye most likely having an eye infection or something like you are dealing with.

Since I live in a remote ski town in CO, there are no vets who specialize in exotics, especially chameleons, yet I brought him into my vet who is amazing and has continued to text photos of Fred to her colleague in L.A. who is an expert. She gave me antibacterial eye drops called “Ofloxcacin Ophthalmic Solution, USP 0.3%”

Within a day, the film covering his eye disappeared (it maybe helped that he was also molting at the same time) and I saw a HUGE improvement! The photos show before and after.

I know how scary it is to see your Cham struggling, off balance and basically miserable. Fred and I have a great “relationship” where he lets me put the drops directly in his eye without showing any signs of stress.

I hope this helps and that your Cham feels better soon!!!

Attachments

• 3973BF39-B1BF-434B-99CA-7E6FC3338397.jpeg
    3973BF39-B1BF-434B-99CA-7E6FC3338397.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 330FFABD-DE35-4868-9B63-7B1A12C69C6D.jpeg
    330FFABD-DE35-4868-9B63-7B1A12C69C6D.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 58
This vet who seems much more knowledgeable is thinking it’s a blocked nasal duct he has a little swelling in the left side of the roof of his mouth. Getting me a quote for sedation and flushing. And will be discussing risks. Sounds like a complicated procedure!
Thank you!!! I think the reasoning behind the nostrils was to get it all through the sinus system. It just seems strange. This is the second vet and I feel like this place is better than the last. I still have my preferred vet on July 18 so I figure I will need to roll through this and see if it improves. The vet said that the injection antibiotics and the eye/nose drops are being used together because the infection is one of two types and treating him for both was the best bet. The nostril thing seems weird to me. I have not put it in his nostril but the vet did. Figured I’d stick with the eye until I get more feedback from here.
Being a nurse I can understand what he’s saying. Eye drops aren’t going to hurt his nasal passages I wouldn’t think. If they’re safe for the eyes then they should be safe for the nose And since the eyes drain through the nose as well some would get in there anyway. Your just making sure he’s getting a full dose in his nose. I hope he gets well soon!

Hi. I’m so sorry your Cham is probably miserable. I just had to take my 7-month-old blue panther chameleon to the vet for the first time due to his right eye most likely having an eye infection or something like you are dealing with.

Since I live in a remote ski town in CO, there are no vets who specialize in exotics, especially chameleons, yet I brought him into my vet who is amazing and has continued to text photos of Fred to her colleague in L.A. who is an expert. She gave me antibacterial eye drops called “Ofloxcacin Ophthalmic Solution, USP 0.3%”

Within a day, the film covering his eye disappeared (it maybe helped that he was also molting at the same time) and I saw a HUGE improvement! The photos show before and after.

I know how scary it is to see your Cham struggling, off balance and basically miserable. Fred and I have a great “relationship” where he lets me put the drops directly in his eye without showing any signs of stress.

I hope this helps and that your Cham feels better soon!!!
Thank you for sharing ! Hope Fred continues to feel better too!

Being a nurse I can understand what he’s saying. Eye drops aren’t going to hurt his nasal passages I wouldn’t think. If they’re safe for the eyes then they should be safe for the nose And since the eyes drain through the nose as well some would get in there anyway. Your just making sure he’s getting a full dose in his nose. I hope he gets well soon!
Thank you!!!

Ughh just did my first injection… I want to cry he was so stressed and when it was done he just like shut down. Of course this was after about 5 mins of him trying to bite and struggling. I put him back in his cage and now he looks like this! I made sure there was little to no air in it and it did not draw blood. I’m so worried…

Attachments

• 7C656F39-42DC-46F5-A522-6FA1EC081EE4.jpeg
    7C656F39-42DC-46F5-A522-6FA1EC081EE4.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 68
😅 he is moving around now😅😅
If they get super stressed out, they're prone to closing eyes and "accepting their fate" if no other actions help free them from the events going on. Such drama queens. Soon as he realized he wasn't going to die, he probably started moving around again. Glad he didn't keep in that position! As time moves on, you'll probably find the best way to dose him, with the least amount of stress.
I had to dose my little baby when I found out he had parasites. Once a day, two meds. I learned that, at least in his case, within an hour of lights on was my best bet for giving him meds - he was still sorta sleepy and so wasn't NEARLy as interested in fighting me as if I were to do it in the afternoon/early evening.
Best of luck. You're doing the best you can for your little guy. Hopefully he'll learn to adapt to the short moments of stress, and I'm sure he'll forgive you once he's feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom