sweet potato plants

laurie

Retired Moderator
Has anyone ever used a sweet potato plant in a chameleon cage? I saw one growing at a friends home and it was beautiful. I haven't researched it at all yet, I just wondered if this had been done.

Well, I once wanted one as well the lady at the nursery said they were toxic to cats, so I ended up not getting one.

I would assume that if it's toxic to a cat it could be harmful to a chameleon, but you know what they say about assuming.

Thanks, but I use the rule if it can hurt one animal 10 x its weight, a sweet potato vine will never meet my chams.

I know virtually nothing about plants. I looked them up on the Zutrition website though just in case the plant lady lied to me, in which case I would happily get some sweet potato vines too! :D

I guess it's part of the Convolvulaceae family. (I cut and pasted that, and have no clue how to say it... :eek:)

But Zutrition puts it in the harmful category.
http://www.zutrition.com/reptiles-and-harmful-plants/

If you scroll down to the I's and find Ipomea it says this:
Ipomea spp. (BINDWEED, MORNING GLORIES, SWEET POTATO VINES); entire plant; plant contains LSD-related hallucinogens; may contain toxic levels of nitrates.

So now I'm definitely getting at least ten of them (but not for my chams ;) )
(also jk)

Also, Laurie, I just noticed on your profile that today is your birthday!

Happy Birthday! :D

Like Maya said, it has the LSD related hallucinogens. Also sweet potato vines are toxic to dogs,, cats, ans horses. I can't imagine it being 100% safe for a chameleon

Chase

Thanks, but I use the rule if it can hurt one animal 10 x its weight, a sweet potato vine will never meet my chams.
Well plants like all the philos we use are dangerous to cats and dogs but they’re Cham safe Chams arent mammals so there’s lots of differences

Back
Top Bottom