Sven vs Silkworm

Ok so I read that u guys think silkworms are clean and easy... I don't know about u but everytime I open the pod poop flows out of it and gets everywhere. I try to do it over the garbage but I dont want the worms falling in the garbage as well.. Any advice?!

Ok so I read that u guys think silkworms are clean and easy... I don't know about u but everytime I open the pod poop flows out of it and gets everywhere. I try to do it over the garbage but I dont want the worms falling in the garbage as well.. Any advice?!

The "pod" i ordered from costal was loaded with poo from the transit - but all the silks clung to the plastic meshing they had placed inside. All I had to do was tip it up and hold the lid in place, everything but the worms and food fell out.

I do remember seeing a thread once - or possibly a link to a site where someone build an enclosure using 2 layers of this "plastic mesh" stuff where it self contained and cleaned all in 1- was a perfect idea. Do a search here for it, i would but headed home!!

I do remember seeing a thread once - or possibly a link to a site where someone build an enclosure using 2 layers of this "plastic mesh" stuff where it self contained and cleaned all in 1- was a perfect idea. Do a search here for it, i would but headed home!!

I can show you what I made today. It is inspired by what I saw at Dave Weldon's home. He keeps his worms in a similar way. I am copying what he has done and made some slight changes based on what materials I had around the house. The Plastic canvas can be found at Jo Ann Fabrics. It is the larges plastic canvas they sell. It cost me $1.29 per sheet. I purchased two, just in case I made a booboo.:eek:

I am using a 10 gallon glass tank.
IMG_6955RS.jpg

IMG_6950RS.jpg

I started out by cutting some cardboard into two standard sizes. I made a sort of 'back bone' to hold up the plastic canvas.
IMG_6951RS.jpg

IMG_6952RS.jpg

IMG_6953RS.jpg

Then you place the canvas down.
IMG_6954RS.jpg

Then the worms.
IMG_6956RS.jpg

And then the Chow.
IMG_6959RS.jpg

Dave was telling me that the poop of a silky that is one week from being full grown, and beyond, will not fit through the Canvas. What to do about it? I am not sure. I think you will just have to clean up the poop more often.

Dave was also telling me that he found that if you don't feed the worms everyday, but every other day, the worms will be fine. This will slow down the growth rate and cost you less in the chow dept.

summoner12 - great post bro! that looks perfect:) I what about this for a solution to the larger poop - at the ends (or even randomly around on the main area), cut a smaller notch out of the sides or something to accomidate the larger poops, and then just tip it up at an angle and they will hopefully all roll down to that size, and fall down into the cleanup area.

Also - dont throw away the poop, save it as fertalizer for your plants :D

Back
Top Bottom