SURPRISINGLY GOT A NEW CHAM?!? help me out plz.

FAIL

SO. after my veiled passed...i guess my parents felt bad enough because i was so upset that they bought me a 3 month veiled from fl chams...which is awesome, but-I wasn't ready-i didnt even know he was comming, and my dad tried to surprise me-very nice-but the cage needed a little redesigning.

SO- what i need- is help making sure i've got everything right here.

cham-3 month old veiled male.

cage-16x16x30 reptibreeze raised about 2 feet off the floor- gonna raise it higher if i can find something lol.

decoration-4 fake bendabranch and 2 fake pothos vines.(going to add more of fake vines, some branches and a live pothos after i wash it and cover the soil)

room temp- 70-72

going to get a reptisun 5.0 as soon as the pet store opens lol.

basking temp-for his small size i have a 40 watt house bulb raised 8 inches above highest spot of basking-temp gun says 80-84

humidity-for veileds it can be anywhere from 45-70% right? (i have a mist king-not yet connected to his cage(only going to put 1 nozzle, and a cool mist humidifier in the room, and setting up a dripper now.

planning on feeding small crickets, dusting with calcium 3 times a week, calcium with d3 twice a week, and herptivite twice a week.

no substrate-good drainage system.

does everything i said sound good for this little guy-he is extremely dark colored now...but i cant believe they shipped through this cold weather. it's like 20 something degrees here. i'm in ky with like 20% humidity through the rest of the house (the chams and geckos are in a seperated plastic section in my house...like theres clear plastic hanging from the ceiling in a space about...say 10'x10'-to keep ambient temp high and humidity up).

ALSO-should i hook a nozzle from the mist king up in his cage. my mistking currently goes off 7 or 8 times a day-for 4-5 minutes at a time-IT IS SUPER SUPER DRY here. and another question-my adult panthers been on ficus his whole life-and they are about dying now-you guys think he would enjoy shefflera gold capella(prolly way off on spelling but im not worried about that at this moment :p)?

For the most part it sounds good. Im surprised they shipped that cold for sure and so close to christmas as well (sometimes they will wait after christmas because they don't want animal waiting more then 1 night) He should get his colors back with in a week hopefully. he is probably just stressed from the trip. Umm what i did for my misting system was cut i small whole in the screen and taped it(my mister doesn't have any cool clamps or anything :/ ) im not to sure on your panthers, but what i would do would be to slowly start to include the new plant into the enclosure while the ficus is dying and just see if they like it.

the only thing I would change is your supplement schedule. Use the Calcium without d3 at every feeding and cut back the calcium with d3 to a couple of times a month, especially if you are using the Repcal brand. It contains alot of d3. Also, the multivitamin I would cut back on that to two or three times a month.

At least your parents got your new Veiled from a great place. Everything sounds pretty good. Hopefully if this is the cage your old Veiled was in you bleached and washed it since you don't really know why your other one died. How are you dealing with drainage with a mist king going off all that much? For this new Veiled 3X a day at 2 minutes a time with a well planted cage should be fine. Make sure you have cleaned your misting system too, you don't want bacteria building up in it. Get a linear tube reptisun-you can pick up an 18" bulb, and if you need a cheap fixture to hold it you can go to Walmart and get an 18" undercabinet fixture and pop off the plastic bulb cover for $7. also-on your supplementing-seriously try 5-6X weekly calcium with no D3, and twice monthly calcium with D3 and multivitamin, dropping those down to once monthly at 8 months old.

hokay.

he is not in the enclosure the one died in-that one was a 2x2x4 lllreptile cage. and he's not large enough to put in there yet.

supplement schedule makes since-i havent even fed him yet he's hiding from everything right now lol.

i have a 48'' reptisun 5.0 over the panthers cage, it's in a shoplight.

i have an extra 18'' tube fixture im trying to get a 5.0 in but it looks like it wont be here for up to 3 weeks unless i pay 45 dollars...which im not. do u think a reptAsun 5.0 would work? or a reptiglo 5.0? bc that's all that's around here for a while unless i order from lll...which since it's christmas-it's gonna be a while before it gets here and i dont want to wait...u guys let me know on that one.

AND. how can i get the mistking to go off 8 times for panther, and 3 times for veiled...i cant. it is SOOOO dry here. SOOOOOO dry. the mistkings water evaporates within a half hour. (2 nozzles in the 2x2x4 cage-5 minute mistings-half hour later-it's all gone-humidity is back down to 45%.-which is why there are 2 cool mist humidifiers here as well :p.) the drainage is a bunch of little holes in the bottom of the cage falling into buckets which sit in a 3x2 plastic tub which get emptied every other day. the bottom of the cage dries out probably in...45 minutes or less. thats how dry it is here.

so-should i hook him up with a nozzle? or would 8 times for the little dude be to much.

why don't you get yourself a little dripper? They are about 10 bucks at the pet store. They help somewhat for the humdity and for me it is the only way my chameleon will drink. He does not drink from the misitings, but many chams do. It just depends on yours and you will have to see ovetime what suits him best for hydration.

why don't you get yourself a little dripper? They are about 10 bucks at the pet store. They help somewhat for the humdity and for me it is the only way my chameleon will drink. He does not drink from the misitings, but many chams do. It just depends on yours and you will have to see ovetime what suits him best for hydration.

mine is this way, he will just drink from the drip source(only time i catch him drinking at least) :)

i have 2 little drippers :D. just have to find them :p. his cage is now finished being decorated and lighted...it's going to be such a pain to clean...and to find him :). but he should be super happy with it now, allow me to charge my camera and all shall see pictures :).-and actually i'm going to just post pictures of my guys after i finish fixing my mistking leak(buckets leaking).

i have 2 little drippers :D. just have to find them :p. his cage is now finished being decorated and lighted...it's going to be such a pain to clean...and to find him :). but he should be super happy with it now, allow me to charge my camera and all shall see pictures :).-and actually i'm going to just post pictures of my guys after i finish fixing my mistking leak(buckets leaking).

Congrats to you on getting a new cham, does he have a name yet?

not yet. gonna get pics. i guess they thought it would help with the loss of my other-it has-but just keeping my mind off of it. which is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom