Surprise baby (r. brevicaudatus)

seuro

Need help from more experienced people!
This evening I found a tiny pygmy chameleon in the tank inhabited by a lone female pygmy. I´ve had her since the end of August and she was supposed to be too young for this kind of thing. :) As this is my first pygmy, I´m not sure whether it´s safe leaving the baby in the same enclosure as the mother. A German breeder I don´t know personally says it´s OK - what do you think? I gave the mother a lot to eat and the baby seems way too big for a meal anyway, but still... Oh and I put in fruit flies for the baby too, though did´t see him eat yet.

As long as "mom's" feeders aren't so big that they will nibble on the baby, keep them together. Make sure mom's feeders are very well fed, and if you can remove them for the night, even better. Lots of fruit flies for baby, and mom may eat some as well. Make sure your humidity is at proper levels. You might see more babies over the next few days or a week. Keep us posted. Good luck and congratulations!

Thanks!
I tried a local discussion forum first, but was told to come here - pygmy chameleons aren´t that popular in Finland (yet?). Good of you to help. :)

Hey, no problem! They're not real popular in Canada either, but I manage to find some once in awhile. Keep us up to date!

You would be suprised at what a pygmy can eat size wise. Personally I always separate babies from parents if I find suprise babies. The parents will also outcompete the babies for food.

Back
Top Bottom