Supplement help!!

Will I need to use calcium with d3 if I'm using arcadia d3 mercury vapour bulb??:confused:
Thanks Nik

technically there is a dispute and some people do some don't.. most who dont also have their chams outside in the real sun for many hours though.
unless you live in a hot climate year round like FL and your cham gets a solid 5 hours of sun everyday i would certainly suggest using it. otherwise your cham will be prone to MBD.
make sure to ONLY dust 2 times a month and space it out well, to much can also create just as many issues as to little. the key is to lightly dust !

what are all the current supplements your cham takes? also list brand

Will I need to use calcium with d3 if I'm using arcadia d3 mercury vapour bulb??:confused:
Thanks Nik

Definitely. The bulb only helps with synthesis, doesn't actually provide any. So if he isn't getting enough natural sunlight (which I doubt as you'e from Kent and we have such rubbish weather in Britain) then he will need all his supplements (calcium with D3, calcium without D3 and multivitamin).

I havent got my chameleon yet im still preparing the cage and equipment but i was going to buy Exo terra Multi vit and Exo terra calcium

I havent got my chameleon yet im still preparing the cage and equipment but i was going to buy Exo terra Multi vit and Exo terra calcium

As long as the calcium is phosphorus free, and you get one with D3 and one without.

I give the D3 twice a month, multivitamin once a month and calcium without D3 every feeding. Some people vary and do multivitamin twice a month.

I've sent several soon-to-be owners an e-mail of basically an in-depth care-sheet and things to look out for when purchasing a cham. If you ever want me to send you it, just drop me your e-mail in my PMs :)

Welcome to the crazy world of chams!

Multivitamin and calcium need to vary on your gut loading. You need to find the nutuonal value of each feeder and the nutritional value of what's in your gut load. You don't want to over supplement!
I use calcium every other day personally

Definitely. The bulb only helps with synthesis, doesn't actually provide any. So if he isn't getting enough natural sunlight (which I doubt as you'e from Kent and we have such rubbish weather in Britain) then he will need all his supplements (calcium with D3, calcium without D3 and multivitamin).

This is an untrue statement, uvb bulbs do in fact promote D3 synthesis, which means the body has the D3 it needs. I have read several research studies such as the one here
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20206712/

The findings show that uvb bulbs create higher levels of plasma D3 than supplements do. And in fact as little as 2 hours of uvb exposure is enough to reach adequate physiological levels of D3. It is the purpose of the bulb. Of course you need to be sure to change your bulbs often enough for them to remain effective.

Back
Top Bottom