Superworm oats bedding/gutload substitute?

Ive been reading that oat meal which is my main staple right now is not really recommended as bedding for superworms. Any suggestions on a substitute or addition to make the mix better for my chams?

You can use anything you would use for other insects such as crickets or roaches. That is what I do. Check gutload recipes for those insects and you are on your way.

Wheat bran and especially oat meal do not have much at all in the way of vitamins and minerals. They are cheap and work well for the worms themselves but are unnecessary as bedding if you are interested in maximizing the nutritional value of the worms.

Oat meal should be fine for bedding them and feeding them... Just like others said it doesn't have much in the way of nutrients so gutload the ones you will be feeding your chams a few days in advance with other veggies.. I've been using a mix of mustard green, dandelion green, Apple, carrot, enchive food processed.. carrots work good also to throw in with your oats because they don't mold easy and can be easily separated and removed if they do

I use oats and bug buffet as my base. I then feed them carrots, apples, kale, potatoes you get the idea. No lid so it drys out. I have had this last batch of supers about 8 months.

Thanks folks! Everyone has been really helpful. I have more than a 1000 supers right now so feeding them all with the bug burger will not be cost efficient. I'm planning on dividing them. One section for just maintenance the other gut loading. I'll use a better bedding for gut load in a second bin for feeding. Appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom