Superworm daily?

i supose you could. wuddnt he like it better after the crikets as his treat? jw :D

be warned that superworms are high in chitin(spelling is probally off) and could cause impaction. if your cham is healthy he/she will probally be fine. hopefully others chime in

Reactions: Hoj
i use supers as a treat as well, usually only 2 or 3 times a week tho, not daily....but i have other treats too, like silks, horns, and butterworms so i rotate

I also don't feed mine daily, but they will get supers a couple times a week, depending what food is in rotation. I have crickets, supers, butter worms, hornworms, and 3 types of roaches that I've going to have in rotation so each week their food menu will be different. But I will use at least 3 different bugs a week. So they will get supers but not every day.

Variety is the spice of life, as they say. And fundamental to keeping chameleons healthy, both physically and mentally.

I don't feed anything daily because all my chameleons are adults and only feed supers as a treat.

I'm new and in the learning phase. I didn't realize adults don't get fed every day. Can someone please point me to a blog that can teach me more about amounts to be fed during different ages of their lives.

I would absolutely not recommend feeding them that often (by which i mean superworms).
Chameleons often have problems with digesting them because they have a pretty hard and smooth "skin" so their gut can´t move it very well, also they are harder to digest due to those factors. It´s better to feed the soft ones who had just shed.
Also Supers are very nutritious which supports getting overweight.
Supers should be fed about once every second week or better: less.
Adult panther´s can be fed very sparely.
It´s absolutely okay (even healthy) to feed them irregularly e.g. plan for one week:
mon:food, tue-thur:no food, fri-sa:food, sun:no food and so on, 1-2 medium-big feeders per feeding.
This way their digestive system is completely empty from time to time which is the same in nature, also they won´t suffer from being overweight which is one of the most common cause of death for chameleons in captivity

I would absolutely not recommend feeding them that often (by which i mean superworms).
Chameleons often have problems with digesting them because they have a pretty hard and smooth "skin" so their gut can´t move it very well, also they are harder to digest due to those factors. It´s better to feed the soft ones who had just shed.
Also Supers are very nutritious which supports getting overweight.
Supers should be fed about once every second week or better: less.
Adult panther´s can be fed very sparely.
It´s absolutely okay (even healthy) to feed them irregularly e.g. plan for one week:
mon:food, tue-thur:no food, fri-sa:food, sun:no food and so on, 1-2 medium-big feeders per feeding.
This way their digestive system is completely empty from time to time which is the same in nature, also they won´t suffer from being overweight which is one of the most common cause of death for chameleons in captivity

Thank you so much for all your valuable information.

No prob ;)
I´d wish more people would read a lot like you do.
Mostly beginners start "new" threads and ask 1000 questions even if exactly the same thing has been discussed 1000 times before and is actually in the next thread below the one they wrote. So thanks for reading :)

I'm new and in the learning phase. I didn't realize adults don't get fed every day. Can someone please point me to a blog that can teach me more about amounts to be fed during different ages of their lives.

SOME people dont feed adults daily, some people do. The key is ensuring the total quantity is sufficient for the chameleons needs without causing them to get fat!
in my blog on this site I detail what my chameleons (young and old) are fed. You may find it interesting.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/food-diary/
(but you'll have to go back quite a few months to see what babies were fed, as I've not had babies for quite awhile)

this one regarding calories also you may find useful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...s-day-required-maintain-chameleon-weight.html

is it fine to give my panther a super worm daily before his crickets?He loves them!!he snatches them from my hands :D

No single feeder should be offered every day, especially superworms. VARIETY is key

Superworms are not likely to cause digestive issues, despite what others have said here. But they are high in fat.
Its mealworms that have the potential to cause constipation.

No single feeder should be offered every day, especially superworms. VARIETY is key

Superworms are not likely to cause digestive issues, despite what others have said here. But they are high in fat.
Its mealworms that have the potential to cause constipation.
As far as i know it´s the same with superworms, though only if fed like every day or so which shouldn´t be done anyway.
They have the same smooth and hard skin as mealworm which the chameleon´s gut simply can´t move as good as if it were a locust or cricket.

i don't feed my chameleon every day, but i feed her every other day, to every 3 days. i always give her 1 or 2 superworms after feeding, and on occasion i will give her a super worm or two in between feeding days

SOME people dont feed adults daily, some people do. The key is ensuring the total quantity is sufficient for the chameleons needs without causing them to get fat!
in my blog on this site I detail what my chameleons (young and old) are fed. You may find it interesting.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/food-diary/
(but you'll have to go back quite a few months to see what babies were fed, as I've not had babies for quite awhile)

this one regarding calories also you may find useful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...s-day-required-maintain-chameleon-weight.html

Yes thank you. I had already been subscribed to and reading your blog and did find it to have valuable detailed information!! :)

i don't feed my chameleon every day, but i feed her every other day, to every 3 days. i always give her 1 or 2 superworms after feeding, and on occasion i will give her a super worm or two in between feeding days

I feed mine supers all the time too cause that is the only real chitin he gets. Hates crickets(which I shove in his mouth on occasion when he is eating something else) and I refuse to keep roaches.I have been feeding him supers for about 1 1/2 yrs on a regular basis(not as treats) and he has never had a single digestion problem. Just sayin.....

I feed mine supers all the time too cause that is the only real chitin he gets. Hates crickets(which I shove in his mouth on occasion when he is eating something else) and I refuse to keep roaches.I have been feeding him supers for about 1 1/2 yrs on a regular basis(not as treats) and he has never had a single digestion problem. Just sayin.....
Yea it seems some people have mix decisions on this topic...when do you guys begin to not feed your chameleon daily?my chameleon is like 6-7 months

I have a superworm colony that is producing WAY too many superworms for what I need. At the moment most my chams will not take them :rolleyes: I have fed young chams one to two small supers a day, and I have had chams that would only eat supers when on meds and even then only one or two every other day. They are great treats and I too have never had problems with digestion or irregular movements. I keep way too many feeders but honestly the variety is usually decided on by the spoiled chams. They KNOW what they want and will wait till they get it :rolleyes: Right now I am happy because everyone seems to be on the same Dubia kick :D However, that means I have 50 super beetles and thousands of superworms that I am feeding for nothing :(

Yea it seems some people have mix decisions on this topic...when do you guys begin to not feed your chameleon daily?my chameleon is like 6-7 months

It depends on his size. Please post a few pictures. Seven to eight months is about the time I start feeding every other day and then at 14 to 16 months only 3 times a week and again depending on the size of the chameleon.

When you guys say your chams take the worms right out of your hands, how are you holding them? Those little suckers bite! And they bite hard! How do you hold super worms without getting bit?

Back
Top Bottom