superworm bedding

billford

i just got a free box of small super worms at the narbc in chicago.my question is about the bedding for large numbers of worms.did some research have and found that cereal is a good bedding.suggested i put the cereal in a blender first.is this step necessary?i was thinking putting it in whole so i know when to change or add more i will gut load later in another smaller container.

I would just stick with bran and rotating out veg.

The problems with "grains" is they attract grain mites.

However if you think all the dog/cat/people food are grain mite free, sure you can use oatmeal etc.

The point of grinding it up is so that its easier to sift out the worms. I kinda made that mistake by using large flake oatmeal one time as a stop gap, cleaning day didnt go so well...

I heard from John courtney Smith that bran isn't an acceptable bedding or feed due to it blocking calcium absorption. It was on the Cham breeder podcast somewhere. I'd stick to organic oats and add in a good quality dry food that utilizes alfalfa.

I heard from John courtney Smith that bran isn't an acceptable bedding or feed due to it blocking calcium absorption. It was on the Cham breeder podcast somewhere. I'd stick to organic oats and add in a good quality dry food that utilizes alfalfa.
I heard that too, I still have to research more about that. I guess I will use alfalfa.

I used to use bran, but ran into problems with millers (flying moths that infested my house, and cocooned up near my ceiling). It was a huge disaster, so now I use oatmeal. I pile on the carrots and kale or collard greens, and replace the veggies as necessary as mentioned previously.

I have always used Oats and I don’t think there has been any problems that I am aware of. I also lay veggies and fruit on top of the oats and they come up to the top to eat it. They eat just about anything I have found!!!

i just got a free box of small super worms at the narbc in chicago.my question is about the bedding for large numbers of worms.did some research have and found that cereal is a good bedding.suggested i put the cereal in a blender first.is this step necessary?i was thinking putting it in whole so i know when to change or add more i will gut load later in another smaller container.
Wheat Bran

Back
Top Bottom