Superworm bedding, impromptu?

APailthorp

I have a bunch of large superworms in a tupperware container and the bran bedding in the container with them is moist. I think it is from waste, and I want to replace it, but I'm out. I'll get some more when I make a new feeder order, stuff like this:
http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/mealworm-bran-bedding/

Anyone know of cheap commonly available substitutes? I don't want to wait for my next mail order.

Can I use oat bran from the grocery store? Plain rolled oats? What is best/cheapest?

I always use plain rolled oats. They work fine for me. I find that if you keep too many supers in too small a container it gets moist. I keep my supers in a tall Tupperware, often without a lid.

Rolled oats is the easiest, cheapest, and most plentiful bedding available. I also use ground up dog food, which I've seen recommended for dubias but my superworms seem to like it

Rolled oats is the easiest, cheapest, and most plentiful bedding available. I also use ground up dog food, which I've seen recommended for dubias but my superworms seem to like it
I wouldn't use dog food. It is too high in protein and can cause medical problems if fed to feeders that are fed to your chameleon. Superworms can be gutloaded with the same food as crickets.

Glad I found this thread.When I read that grains and oats are not good for chams. I changed to wheat bran. Is there anything else that maybe better for the superworms?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

"Avoid These Ingredients: Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates."

I use a mixture of dry foods, to provide them with more variety. I use a mix of wheat germ, wheat bran and steel cut oats, and then I sprinkle ground flax, crushed rodent chow, crushed rabbit pellets, spirulina powder, veggie fish food, and/or bee pollen on top once every two days or so, along with offering their fresh veggies.

I use a mixture of dry foods, to provide them with more variety. I use a mix of wheat germ, wheat bran and steel cut oats, and then I sprinkle ground flax, crushed rodent chow, crushed rabbit pellets, spirulina powder, veggie fish food, and/or bee pollen on top once every two days or so, along with offering their fresh veggies.
I'll give it a shot w/ what we have.

We have a 'bulk food store' here - Mennonite run - and they carry wheat bran for 50 cents a pound. Other grains as well (for humans), at under $1 a pound. So much cheaper than anything commercial! If you have anything similar in your area it's really worth a stop. I choked the first time I saw how much meal/superworm bedding was selling for.

Do people keep different bin for a staging area for gutloading? If so for how long?
Do you still have bedding in the pre feed bin?

Back
Top Bottom