Supers, how I spent my day

BocaJan

I am trying to propagate supers so I have some turning. They are really interesting to watch, so I thought I'd share with you in case you're interested. I just hope I will get some worms out of this soon.... I also have a worm pic that is turning into a crysalis. You can see the front legs changing and tucking in.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
It isn't hard to get them to the beetle stage. I have been waiting for grubs (superworms) to appear. I think I saw some teeny tiny worms, but they are difficult to see and I won't be sure until they get larger. I have been working on this project for 2 months and would really like to use them as food along with crickets. I hate buying them, they are 10 cents each. ACK

good pics
I was suprised how easy it was to breed these things, once I learned the larva/worms will pupate more quickly when separated from one another. I use about 15-20 kingworms a week, and with only 4-6 beetles producing at any one time, I eaily grow as many worms as I need.

Sandracham - you have given me lots of good information on raising these things. I just wish they would grow from eggs to feeding worms quicker. I am hoping that once I can really see them, I will find that I have many growing. It is a long wait.

I am hoping that once I can really see them, I will find that I have many growing. It is a long wait.

LOL I know what you mean - I remember back in the beginning I actually used a magnifying glass to make sure those itty bitty things were the worms I was hoping for! But once they get going, it's smooth sailing.

I am trying to propagate supers so I have some turning. They are really interesting to watch, so I thought I'd share with you in case you're interested. I just hope I will get some worms out of this soon.... I also have a worm pic that is turning into a crysalis. You can see the front legs changing and tucking in.

Enjoy!

How long does it take for a worm/larva to pupate?
How long once they pupate to become beetles?

It isn't hard to get them to the beetle stage. I have been waiting for grubs (superworms) to appear. I think I saw some teeny tiny worms, but they are difficult to see and I won't be sure until they get larger. I have been working on this project for 2 months and would really like to use them as food along with crickets. I hate buying them, they are 10 cents each. ACK

You can buy 500 for $15.00! They last for months and months! Interesting project nonetheless! :)

You can buy 500 for $15.00! They last for months and months! Interesting project nonetheless! :)
i was thinking the same. Last weekend i bought 1000 because i had just finished off feeding the 1k i bought in daytona! Boca, armstrongs crickets sells supers.

Back
Top Bottom