Super worm care

brighteyez

Right now I have my superworms in a container with oatmeal, bran, and dry cricket gutload, and then I put on top of that every other day or so different gutload. Normally carrots, sweet potatos, and collard greens.Here's my question:

How often should I change out the dry medium I have them in and replace it with a new bran/oatmeal/gutload mixture?

How do you throw out the bran without throwing out all the worms?
You have to sift them out the best you can. A bit of a tedious process. Go easy, take you time and depending on the size of your colony, you'll be done in no time at all. I use a mesh strainer and go through the frass a couple of times to get as many as I can.

How do you throw out the bran without throwing out all the worms?
I don't have a mesh strainer like @MSMorgan has but I just slowly dump out the container onto a paper towel or printer paper and pick the worms out as I go. Then throw the old stuff away. I just did it last night and only took my about 5 minutes for a container of about 20 superworms.

I don't have a mesh strainer like @MSMorgan has but I just slowly dump out the container onto a paper towel or printer paper and pick the worms out as I go. Then throw the old stuff away. I just did it last night and only took my about 5 minutes for a container of about 20 superworms.
Good idea for limited quantities! I was picking them out with a magnifier and tweezers a while back, but I've just got too many now. I'd completely loose my mind trying to get all the micros out now.

Good idea for limited quantities! I was picking them out with a magnifier and tweezers a while back, but I've just got too many now. I'd completely loose my mind trying to get all the micros out now.
I wasn't picking out small ones. One was as long as my thumb.

Now that's a SUPERworm! These can get pretty big. Lucky loves them.
I know. I actually said "Holy crap" when I dumped that one out, and I said it pretty load and my kids started repeating it. His reward for being so big was being feed to a turtle.

Back
Top Bottom