Super Healthy Panther Northern NJ -rehome or adoption - experienced only

Franquixote

Established Member
Family can't deal with the bugs anymore, I have a custom cage I'll send with him,
lighting etc. stays with me.
I am sad about this but I can't ask my wife and kids to put up with the bugs anymore. Only 1-2 got out in the last year (Dubias) but it's still an issue. Not fair to the family- but need a proven good home.
Northern NJ.

Attachments

• chameleon Karma Pixel January 13 2019 1_13_19.jpg
    chameleon Karma Pixel January 13 2019 1_13_19.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 125
  • Karma Pixel Feb 25 2018 a (1).jpg
    Karma Pixel Feb 25 2018 a (1).jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
cage is about 6 feet X 3 feet X 3 feet, double screen sealed, cabinet room underneath, and holes drilled and sealed for a mist system.
Again, ONLY willing to give him to an experienced keeper.

Well, we are about 2 months from the ideal weather to ship- if I can't find anyone then I'd need to be sure there was some sort of uncrushable box to send him in.... I mean, how is it done? Air holes, correct temp, etc. ? I spend an hour+ a day keeping him happy I can't imagine I could send him in the mail.
I don't know why he can't just eat out of one of Nick Barta's feeders (refuses roaches), has always refused superworms.
I basically have spoiled him.
I am so frustrated. If he would just EAT when I put the stupid bug in there we'd be fine. But no, I have to basically (even after him not eating a few days) keep grabbing the roach and putting it the ideal distance from him to fire away.
Look at my threads. I thought it was a sight problem, treated with vit. A and it looks fine... he can DEFINITELY see, he has NEVER eaten any insect that just crawled by him, it has to be this exact distance away. Sometimes I will reposition the bug 5 times and he won't eat it, then an hour later if I leave it in he will.
Totally not stressed by me at all. He will let me handle him (never do), never changes color (except at night he goes all kinds of colors).
Just super picky eater and I literally can't handle free roaming insects or this hand feeding anymore.
If I threw a horn worm in there he would run from the other side of the cage right now to grab it, but I don't want to make 3 effing trips a week to get hornworms (my local guy gives them to me free if I take them 2-3 at a time).
He just refuses to stay on a staple of mixed dubia/orange heads, refuses superworms totally, refused bb flies, will take silks and butterworms and stuff but who has the $ for that?

Well, we are about 2 months from the ideal weather to ship- if I can't find anyone then I'd need to be sure there was some sort of uncrushable box to send him in.... I mean, how is it done? Air holes, correct temp, etc. ? I spend an hour+ a day keeping him happy I can't imagine I could send him in the mail.
I don't know why he can't just eat out of one of Nick Barta's feeders (refuses roaches), has always refused superworms.
I basically have spoiled him.
I am so frustrated. If he would just EAT when I put the stupid bug in there we'd be fine. But no, I have to basically (even after him not eating a few days) keep grabbing the roach and putting it the ideal distance from him to fire away.
Look at my threads. I thought it was a sight problem, treated with vit. A and it looks fine... he can DEFINITELY see, he has NEVER eaten any insect that just crawled by him, it has to be this exact distance away. Sometimes I will reposition the bug 5 times and he won't eat it, then an hour later if I leave it in he will.
Totally not stressed by me at all. He will let me handle him (never do), never changes color (except at night he goes all kinds of colors).
Just super picky eater and I literally can't handle free roaming insects or this hand feeding anymore.
If I threw a horn worm in there he would run from the other side of the cage right now to grab it, but I don't want to make 3 effing trips a week to get hornworms (my local guy gives them to me free if I take them 2-3 at a time).
He just refuses to stay on a staple of mixed dubia/orange heads, refuses superworms totally, refused bb flies, will take silks and butterworms and stuff but who has the $ for that?
Thousands of reptiles are shipped every day, this site explains it well.https://www.shipyourreptiles.com/

Ill take him. I can pick up this weekend. Panther is next on my list. Ive only been keeping chams for 6 months but ive kept reptiles ever since i was young. I currently house a pair of T. Hoeneli and pair of T. Jacksoni . I also keep a reef aquarium, dart frogs, snakes and a tortoise. He will most definitely be in good hands. Message me if i meet your requirements.

And to add my male jackson has very similar feeding habits. The only thing he hunts down are black soldier flys and horn worms. Everything else i have to do the same as you where i hold it or reposition it 5 times before its suitable for him to eat. Sometimes hes quick. Sometimes it takes a while. Somedays he just refuses food altogether but hes healthy as can be. Beautiful color and super chill.

Ill take him. I can pick up this weekend. Panther is next on my list. Ive only been keeping chams for 6 months but ive kept reptiles ever since i was young. I currently house a pair of T. Hoeneli and pair of T. Jacksoni . I also keep a reef aquarium, dart frogs, snakes and a tortoise. He will most definitely be in good hands. Message me if i meet your requirements.

You're living my dream with all those critters haha.

All Yall guys/gals shall just start an auction here....or paper , scissor , rock...and the best part is Chameleon Trafficking is totally legal in United States.May the best keepers win.

My heart is aching and I'm torn.
The little bastage is holding out for some hornworms and then he will begrudgingly take some staple feeders (dubias or orange heads) for a few days.
James, PM me so we can talk on the phone- I have that jasmine you want anyway.

Again- I KNOW he can see just fine, because if I were to dangle a hornworm from 5 feet away , he'd come running- but he must have had some trauma with superworms as a baby because it almost seems he is scared of them. I can't spend an hour a day repositioning a feeder in his ideal strike zone, but I don't get why he won't use Nick's feeder or take the roaches when I know he is hungry.

This sucks. I am at the point of hand misting and hand feeding taking up 1-2 hours of my day, but I have put so much love into him.

Teen- I don't want you to take on another animal this needy if, as your profile suggests, you might be on the younger side and already caring for a bunch of critters.
Also, I think the $800 cage I have needs to go with him and need someone who has both the space and means to take it (i.e. a pickup truck and independence). I don't think a change of scenery is going to be good for him. I had a bunch of critters as a younger man and know you probably are doing everything right, but there is something to be said for life experience, independent stability (financially, emotionally, and living situation) and I would not consider anyone late teens/early 20's that even with the best of intentions could find themselves in over their head just due to those years being a time of literally overnight changing life circumstances.
No offense to you- I learned this lesson the hard way when I left a school of cichlids that were 100% perfect and making me $250 a month in offspring with my parents for a month when I went Africa and came home to find utter chaos and death.

I need someone that is a pro and not over extended, with the time, experience, finances, and stability to let me sleep at night.

Last edited:
Im 31 years old. I drive a chevy suburban and own my own home. Complete with reptile room. I also have 3 kids. I wouldnt have offered if i was at my limit. No offense taken but seriously it sounds a little hypocritical of you to judge me when youre the one complaining about spending a few hours with a reptile that you made the choice to purchase. So whos really in over their head here?

Back
Top Bottom