Summer heat?

Kathryn747

I have panther chameleons - all under 1 year old. I live in Florida and outside temps are now 90's every day. I keep my chams on my back enclosed screened lania. They don't get direct sun because of a northern exposeure. My question is when the ave temp or ambient temp is 85-90 should I move them inside or is a fan enough to cool them?
They're misted heavily twice a day and are on a drip system.
So all you Florida keepers, do you move your guys?
My guys don't seem stressed and I have frogs and anoles hanging out in the same room :)

panthers can easily handle the higher temps so long as you provide alt of water, and you make sure there are cooler parts for them to move to, should they get too warm.

if you want to keep them outside, you will need to mist a lot more frequently.

Right now I take mine out in the morning for a few hours and bring them in a round 11 and take them back out around 4 or so. I have them in outdoor cages and I find it is cooler out in the open than in the screen porches. If you have aluminum patio like I do, they really hold the heat. Just be careful and if you are not around all day to monitor the situation for overheating, personally I would not do it. I live in South Florida so I don't know the temp variation from you where live, but it has been extremely HOT here the past few days. Other times of the year and early summer yes, but for the next few months it is risky. The temps you mentioned should be fine. It was over 102 on my patio the other day when I checked with my temp gun.

Right now I take mine out in the morning for a few hours and bring them in a round 11 and take them back out around 4 or so. I have them in outdoor cages and I find it is cooler out in the open than in the screen porches. If you have aluminum patio like I do, they really hold the heat. Just be careful and if you are not around all day to monitor the situation for overheating, personally I would not do it. I live in South Florida so I don't know the temp variation from you where live, but it has been extremely HOT here the past few days.

I'm near Sarasota. I'm moving them inside this weekend. I can shut the AC off in a spare room. I give them a good soaking twice a day and have a drip going all day. it's early summer and it's hot. Even our nights are stifling now.

They will easily handle 90* weather. They just need the necessities.

1. Humidity
2. Hydration
3. Shade
4. Ventilation

Just check on them. Be sure your not seeing any heat stress symptoms like lighter colors that typically go to white, gaping, etc

I'm near Sarasota. I'm moving them inside this weekend. I can shut the AC off in a spare room. I give them a good soaking twice a day and have a drip going all day. it's early summer and it's hot. Even our nights are stifling now.

I know unless, you live here you don't understand just how HOT and HUMID it is here in june, july and august. I know a few people that keep them out year round. It can be done. I think it is safer outside in the open air than on our screened in patios. My one chameleon likes to hang out at the top of my patio on this plant hanger. The other day at about 12 noon I shot the temp gun up where he sits and its was 110 degrees. That to me is just too hot.

Thx for the stress signs. I haven't seen any yet. I'm thinking of getting that room ready now, this could be a blistering summer for us. I personally can't stand it when it's so stagnet hot and muggy :(

Thx for the stress signs. I haven't seen any yet. I'm thinking of getting that room ready now, this could be a blistering summer for us. I personally can't stand it when it's so stagnet hot and muggy :(

It's almost 9 pm here and even with the ceiling fan on, windows open, and the door open - its 87 degrees yuck

After recruiting my husband to help move everything .... We have decided to close up the back lania and AC it by opening the sliders. There's no AC vent but this will work out much easier. Im going to have to get out their basking lights now to put on their cages for them but they have cooler ambient temps and I don't have to worry. Except for a slightly larger electric bill

Last edited:
The humidity and direct sun is the killer right now around here, and I'm a true florida cracker(born & raised)! I can work outside all day, but damn it feels like augest already!!! Agreed, its gonna be a BAD summer!

Back
Top Bottom