Strange territorial behavior

taz_s_824

Hi all,

Since yesterday, my veiled has been showing some weird territorial behavior. I'd like to reduce his stress level as much as possible and need ideas of other things I can do.

I generally let him come out of his cage on his own and once he does, I'll let him come on to my hand and take him to his tree. I decided to put a rope from his cage to his tree. He loves it but won't let me touch the rope. He becomes gravid, gapes, tries to tongue my hand or lunges at my hand whenever I hold the rope or try to go near it. I'm thinking he probably sees it as his territory now and wants to maintain the access between his cage and his tree. However, I do need to put the rope away and would like to be able to do so without stressing him out.

Should I stop using the rope entirely? Is there a different method I can use?

How old is the cham? Veiled are known to have attitude changes like that. My veiled used to be super territorial when he was young and try to bite me any chance he got, but as of recently, hes mellowed out and will let me handle him.

Veiled aren't exactly known for their calm temperament lol

How old is the cham? Veiled are known to have attitude changes like that. My veiled used to be super territorial when he was young and try to bite me any chance he got, but as of recently, hes mellowed out and will let me handle him.

Veiled aren't exactly known for their calm temperament lol

He is 1 yr and 5 months old. He usually doesn't get this territorial even in his cage, which is why I found this strange. I understand they can be moody but didn't expect him to attack me over a rope. There are also knots on each end and he will grab it with his mouth and move it further into his cage so that it's harder for me to take it out. :LOL::rolleyes:

He is 1 yr and 5 months old. He usually doesn't get this territorial even in his cage, which is why I found this strange. I understand they can be moody but didn't expect him to attack me over a rope. There are also knots on each end and he will grab it with his mouth and move it further into his cage so that it's harder for me to take it out. :LOL::rolleyes:

That is nuts! He sure doesn't like to share, does he? Or maybe he just wants to play tug-o-war :D

After seeing the videos, I have to agree with Kinyonga! The patterns on the rope even resemble what could be patterns on a snake's body

Should I try different ropes? What kinds would you recommend?

Some chameleons react strongly to certain colors and patterns and the bounciness of those may be too snake like. My suggestion would be a solid neutral rope instead maybe, but my chameleon has no interest in coming near me or out of his cage so hopefully someone else has a better idea!

I'm also wondering how a chameleon can develop fear towards an animal they've never seen before.

Now I just feel bad for him. :(

It it all about instinct, it is deeply ingrained into their bloodlines. To be honest, I might choose a bland, brown rope with good traction that resembles a branch. The only problem is the movement, which is not so easily solvable. Could you use another plant or a big branch as transportation? I saw that it is a pretty good distance. . . I don't know. I agree with everyone about the snake thing. Might need something a bit more supportive for him. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom