strange spot

maddashash

Asiago has an odd white spot on her side its been there for 2 days. It my just be that she is getting a little color.i just want to make sure. It kind if looks like a peice of cloth that had a drop of bleach dropped on it. The pic is a little blurry if you cant see it well i will take a better one when i get my hands on my dads camera tonight.

Sorry forgot the pic

Attachments

• IMG_20121009_134724.jpg
    IMG_20121009_134724.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 154
It doesn't look like a coloration thing to me, nor does it look like a bruise. I'm not certain, but it could be one of several things. Possibly some sort of infection (fungal, bacterial or viral), but it could also be a thermal burn. Not a common place for a burn however. I think the first thing to do is use a OTC antibiotic ointment like Polysporin or triple antibiotic on it to slow or stop any bacterial spread and protect the damaged area. Remember, reptiles take longer to heal than mammals so you may not see much change for a week or so. IF the area does not seem to respond, there is a reddish swollen margin around the patch, or it spreads (take some good photos along the way) you should definitely take her to a vet. Many fungal infections glow in medical blacklight so it might be an easy diagnosis.

It doesn't look like a coloration thing to me, nor does it look like a bruise. I'm not certain, but it could be one of several things. Possibly some sort of infection (fungal, bacterial or viral), but it could also be a thermal burn. Not a common place for a burn however. I think the first thing to do is use a OTC antibiotic ointment like Polysporin or triple antibiotic on it to slow or stop any bacterial spread and protect the damaged area. Remember, reptiles take longer to heal than mammals so you may not see much change for a week or so. IF the area does not seem to respond, there is a reddish swollen margin around the patch, or it spreads (take some good photos along the way) you should definitely take her to a vet. Many fungal infections glow in medical blacklight so it might be an easy diagnosis.

Excellent advice:)

It may be a burn. After I posted I noticed that the basking light was on the screen insread of being raised a few inches. I measured the temp at several different places tje highiest temp I got was 93 and that was placing the probe between the light and screen. She is obviously a few inches below that would that be enough to birn her. Her usual temps are between 78 &83 which is what it is now that I have adjusted the light back. The side she has the spot on is the side that she angles towards the ligjt.

I would lower the branch or raise the light so there is a distance of about 8 inches not just a couple.

It is normally about 7 to 8 inches . From her perch it reads 78.3. Almost constantly. Sometimes going up to 83 ish if the room is hot. The light must have got bumped and was on the screen. Up againstthe bulb was only reading in the low 90s. Isnt that what the males are kept around? Should th at have burned her.

It is normally about 7 to 8 inches . From her perch it reads 78.3. Almost constantly. Sometimes going up to 83 ish if the room is hot. The light must have got bumped and was on the screen. Up againstthe bulb was only reading in the low 90s. Isnt that what the males are kept around? Should th at have burned her.

What actually results in a burn is a combination of a couple of things...how LONG the cham sits unmoving directly under a hot light, not just the actual temp or how close she can get. If the rest of the cage is much cooler than her basking area she may end up cooking herself too long each day. Ironically, chams and some other herps don't have too many temp sensors in their skins and may not realize they are getting overheated until they have already burned themselves. And, our spot lighting is a narrowly-focused beam of heat, not a broad swath of heat like the sun provides. I'm not sure the screen itself had anything to do with the burn. Either way, move her perch farther away. She may bask a bit longer as a result, but if the temp is lower it may not matter.

Thank you for the response. I will post pics tomorrow of how it is set up. The light being directly on the screen was an accident it couldn't have been like that but for a day or 2 bc i wiped off the dust on the dome 2 days ago and it was clamped off of the screen.i have it clamped off the screen again just like before. I will post pics showing the distance against a ruler so i could get you guys inputs on if it is ok. It has served her well so far but im paranoid about it now. I don't want to hurt my little girl again :-( . As far as treating it will a triple antibiotic ointment be ok until i get polysporin?

Thank you for the response. I will post pics tomorrow of how it is set up. The light being directly on the screen was an accident it couldn't have been like that but for a day or 2 bc i wiped off the dust on the dome 2 days ago and it was clamped off of the screen.i have it clamped off the screen again just like before. I will post pics showing the distance against a ruler so i could get you guys inputs on if it is ok. It has served her well so far but im paranoid about it now. I don't want to hurt my little girl again :-( . As far as treating it will a triple antibiotic ointment be ok until i get polysporin?

Will triple antibiotic be ok for now?

Back
Top Bottom