Strange Drinking Behavior

The vet fecal was a while back that’s all I remember. I was gonna switch over to an Arcadia reflector and bulb for my cage since Bill has updated the chameleon academy for them. Which do you recommend?
The arcadia pro t5 is a great option. You would get the 6% bulb strength. Then you could get another 6500 daylight bulb to replace the UVB in your dual fixture which will be great for plant growth.

And since the fecal was so long ago I would get another one. The oocysts from the parasite may not have shown up in that fecal if that is in fact an issue. If parasite load is low and depending on the point in the cycle they do not always show up in a fecal.

Thanks. A vet fecal or can I do my own?
Unless you are skilled at running fecals and identifying what your seeing I would have a Vet do it. Then if something does come back on it they will have the fecal to know the specific medication needed for treating. Then if it comes back clean you can rule out a parasite issue...

Sounds good. What would it mean if it comes out negative?
Honestly I would be hoping for a negative or clean fecal. That would mean nothing was found in the fecal to indicate a parasite load.
If it comes back positive they will id the parasite type. Some are worse then others... Some have specific cleaning to actually get rid of them and reduce reinfection risk. They will give you an antibiotic and tell you the frequency of use for it.

So I know you mentioned he is eating everyday and sits at about 100 grams. How many is he eating and what will he usually accept?

He’s not eating everyday. He only wants worms right now. There too small though so I’m feeding them leaves to get them bigger. He’ll eat a bunch of those. I offer dubias every day but he refuses them

He’s not eating everyday. He only wants worms right now. There too small though so I’m feeding them leaves to get them bigger. He’ll eat a bunch of those. I offer dubias every day but he refuses them
Yeah so he may also be hitting a stubborn streak... He found something he prefers to eat so he refuses the others. This happens as well. Once you rule out a parasite issue you can try just offering crickets and dubia to get him back over on them. But first you want to make sure there is not another thing contributing because if it is a parasite issue causing the appetite issue then you need him to continue eating whatever he will take.

Yeah. If I had enough worms he’d eat them every day.
Then it may very well be that he has hit a stubborn streak... And unfortunately the only real way to break that is withholding what he likes and only offering the others.

Although silkworms are not at all a bad feeder so it really just depends on what you want to be feeding.

Just wanted to mention...one fecal is not always enough testing to determine if the chameleon has parasites. If the parasites are not shedding eggs at the time of the test, the test can give a false negative. Two or three tests are a better option.

Just wanted to mention...one fecal is not always enough testing to determine if the chameleon has parasites. If the parasites are not shedding eggs at the time of the test, the test can give a false negative. Two or three tests are a better option.
Hi I've never had a test done for my girl (parasite ) but do you know what a comprehensive test covers?thanks

Back
Top Bottom