Strange Drinking Behavior

Pluto_the_Panther

Established Member
I have a panther who is weird about drinking. He has a mister, fogger, and dripper that go off at the appropriate times during the day based on the chameleon academy schedule. Despite this sometimes I find my chameleon thirsty. Sometimes I offer him some water by spraying water on leaves and near his mouth. He doesn't always take it but sometimes he drinks it like he's super dehydrated. Also when he drinks he tilts his head slowly back until it is pointing upwards. I don't think it's a URI but it's just odd. He seems fine and healthy although he is a picky eater. I'm curious what you all think about this.

Is there anything I could do to make sure he's getting water? I came home yesterday and he was looking really tired. Then I gave him some water which he drank and then he looked a lot better. I don't understand how between the dripper, mister, and fogger he is still dehydrated.

Urates are white. He just looks bleh sometimes in the evening and he always drinks a bunch of water like in the video whenever he looks like this. I'd assume he's drinking the water because he's dehyrdated.

He is not dehydrated if the urates are white. I think you are miss interpreting what you are seeing. Your triggering his drinking response by spraying him in the face... Which IMO is not a good thing.

Maybe you should post a picture of the entire enclosure lights down so we can see if anything stands out.

Huh. I’ll post closer attention to his urates but I swear he’s thirsty. I know about the drinking response thing but he seeks the water when I spray near him. That video makes it look like I just spray him in the face and then he licks the water off his face. That’s my bad. He does in fact lick water on his own off leaves near him.

I found this photo. Wrong angle though.
6A0BC3C3-C99B-4ACF-B2B4-231DA5A76638.jpeg

Sometimes his turrets look a bit off. I’m going to pay close attention to his next urate. He doesn’t always want the water though. Sometimes he seems fine and doesn’t want it.

I’ll stop giving him water if you think he doesn’t need it. I just noticed a correlation between him looking lethargic and him accepting the water. Maybe it’s just cause he’s tired. Idk.

Sometimes he goes to sleep 30 min before his lights go off. On those days he usually wants it
My girl makes her way to her bed 🛌 long b4 the lights go off so as she can feel safe and settle for the night. Could you please fill out a husbandry form so as the good members on here could see if anything is missing thks. Chameleons can be shy drinkers if urates and eyes are good thats a plus

Back
Top Bottom