Stopped Eating.

Cberbs90

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 4 months old, i have had him for 2 months. Hes a male panther chameleon.
  • Handling - Not once, ive offered my hand to him once a week but never forced him on to me.
  • Feeding - Ive fed him strictly small to medium crickets for the entire two months. 10 to 12 a day, sometimes fifteen. Hes cup fed right at 8am. I separate the amount of crickets i desire to feed him, give them fresh organic fruits and veggies from the list described on our website (typically one from each section (Great good and okay) daily. (as well as feed the other crickets he is not getting the same diet)
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with Repashy Calcium plus daily and on the 30th as well as the 15th Repti Calcium with D3.
  • Watering - In the morning i have an auto mister that comes on at 8 and sprays for 2 minutes and continues to do so every 4 hours for 2 minutes. I also hand spray in the morning to make sure i see him drink with my own eyes, in which case he does.
  • Fecal Description - Until today he was constantly pooping daily, almost perfectly he would eat by 10am and bask for a few hours then pass a healthy bowel movement by the end of the day. Uriates were white and his actual feces solid and clean. Never tested.
  • History - This is my first chameleon. I keep a poop and feeding record each day to document everything.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - The cage is custom its 16 inches wide and 30 inches tall with a main door and a bottom door separated so i can slide the bottom out and clean without much stress on him.
  • Lighting -I have a reptisun linear bulb 5.0 as well as a zoo med porcelain heat lamp 50watt basking bulb. My UVB comes on at 745 and goes off 8:00 and my basking light goes on at 8 and goes off at 745
  • Temperature - My temp range is pretty consistent now, took a full to months to get it this way. cage floor is at 71 middle being at 76.3ish up to his basking spot which is around 82 to 85. The lowest overnight temp now with my heat being on is 68. Everything is measured with an active air digital thermometer which reads two different temps.
  • Humidity - My Humidity levels are always between 60% to 70% this was an issue when the colder weather set in. I purchased an ultrasonic Honeywell Humidifier to keep those temps constant and use an Ink bird humidity gauge to stop/start it if it gets to high or low.
  • Plants - I have a large pothos plant as well as two vinous plants that i know are safe but cant think of the name atm.
  • Placement - Hes located in my front sun room which i also have a multitude of other plants in. Hes in a low traffic corner (only traffic in that room is if youre going to do something with him or water the plants). The cage is on a high table which puts the top of the cage about 8 inches from the top of my head. Hes normally eye level or a little higher. The closest vent is on the opposite side of the room.
  • Location - I live in Buffalo NY.

Current Problem - Ive waited four days now to post this growing concern which deep down i feel like might just be boredom of crickets, but my 4 month old panther has just shown no interest in food lately. He went from ravaging 10 to 12 a day and pooping regularly and healthy to nothing for four days. If he does its maybe one or two. He is drinking regularly though, is active and moving around. Not napping or being lethargic. Day 2 of this figured he might be bored with crickets so i ordered dubia roaches and phoenix worms that come with it from our sponsor. Hes looking kinda skinny but as i said drinking just fine so im getting worried :( he is kind of pacing as well.

Last edited:
heres a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_145651.jpg
    IMG_20181102_145651.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 101
Repashy Calcium plus already has D3 in it so you don't need to do more D3. You may need to take month off of oral D3 supplement entirely to let his system clear the excess. It I can be stored in the liver for up to a month.
I would take him off for two weeks minimum and see how he does. He can have UVB and outdoor sunlight just no oral D3.

Last edited:
Repashy Calcium plus already has D3 in it so you don't need to do more D3. You may need to take month off of oral D3 supplement entirely to let his system clear the excess. It I can be stored in the liver for up to a month.
I would take him off for two weeks minimum and see how he does. He can have UVB and outdoor sunlight just no oral D3.

Wow im not sure why i didnt even realize that as being an issue. Was there a daily dusting you would recommend after this period off that you would recommend? I was using this as my daily as recommended by my breeder.

Repashy Cal plus by itself if used lightly is fine. You just don't need to add more D3. You might want to go to Repashy Lo D if you are suppling any regular (weekly) outdoor sunlight.
Edit: Don't use it with the Repashy gut loads too much of a good thing.

Repashy Cal plus by itself if used lightly is fine. You just don't need to add more D3. You might want to go to Repashy Lo D if you are suppling any regular (weekly) outdoor sunlight.
Edit: Don't use it with the Repashy gut loads too much of a good thing.

Well buffalo tends to the coldest place on earth so he wont be getting any outdoor sunlight until our summer comes back. So you're saying once or twice a week of the Calcium plus is enough? or if i were to switch to daily dusting go with the Low D? (sorry if im misunderstanding)

i really thought i had this part of his husbandry down 0_o :(

The rest of your husbandry looks great.
For the next two weeks supplement with phosphorus free Calcium only. If he seems perfectly normal I would start him on R Calcium Plus every other day with plain calcium on the other days. If all is well after two more weeks I would go back to the Kammer schedule of Repashy Calcium Plus very lightly at every feeding. If you start getting him outside regularly next summer use Lo D daily.

There is a possibility that this is not the only thing that is going on with him so continue to monitor him for any other symptoms. I'm sure you will be watching him like a hawk.

From Kammers Site. "
Kammerflage Kreations announces its endorsement of Repashy Superfoods, Calcium Plus!
We have been impressed with Allen’s science from the beginning, and feel his company is on the cutting edge of herp nutrition. HOWEVER, with so much at stake, we needed to “SEE” the results ourselves before we would consider recommending Calcium Plus to our own customers. Well, based on the results we had witnessed during a three year trial, we became quick believers! We have now been on the Calcium Plus routine for close to 8 years and couldn’t be happier with the results.

What is Calcium Plus? - Calcium Plus, from Repashy Superfoods, is an “All in One” insect dusting product, providing essential vitamins, calcium, minerals and trace elements. Simply coat your insects lightly before each and every feeding. Easy and effective, if you are keeping your panther indoors and are using similar lighting to what is described in our lighting section, you too should have great results when using Calcium Plus as directed! Basically...thanks to Calcium Plus, life just got easier! "

Hi cberbs90

I wood go with wot jacksjill said? U don't need to dust he food with d3 only every 2 weeks or once a mouth. and with out d3 every day. Hope he gets better soon..

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 4 months old, i have had him for 2 months. Hes a male panther chameleon.
  • Handling - Not once, ive offered my hand to him once a week but never forced him on to me.
  • Feeding - Ive fed him strictly small to medium crickets for the entire two months. 10 to 12 a day, sometimes fifteen. Hes cup fed right at 8am. I separate the amount of crickets i desire to feed him, give them fresh organic fruits and veggies from the list described on our website (typically one from each section (Great good and okay) daily. (as well as feed the other crickets he is not getting the same diet)
  • Supplements - I dust the crickets with Repashy Calcium plus daily and on the 30th as well as the 15th Repti Calcium with D3.
  • Watering - In the morning i have an auto mister that comes on at 8 and sprays for 2 minutes and continues to do so every 4 hours for 2 minutes. I also hand spray in the morning to make sure i see him drink with my own eyes, in which case he does.
  • Fecal Description - Until today he was constantly pooping daily, almost perfectly he would eat by 10am and bask for a few hours then pass a healthy bowel movement by the end of the day. Uriates were white and his actual feces solid and clean. Never tested.
  • History - This is my first chameleon. I keep a poop and feeding record each day to document everything.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - The cage is custom its 16 inches wide and 30 inches tall with a main door and a bottom door separated so i can slide the bottom out and clean without much stress on him.
  • Lighting -I have a reptisun linear bulb 5.0 as well as a zoo med porcelain heat lamp 50watt basking bulb. My UVB comes on at 745 and goes off 8:00 and my basking light goes on at 8 and goes off at 745
  • Temperature - My temp range is pretty consistent now, took a full to months to get it this way. cage floor is at 71 middle being at 76.3ish up to his basking spot which is around 82 to 85. The lowest overnight temp now with my heat being on is 68. Everything is measured with an active air digital thermometer which reads two different temps.
  • Humidity - My Humidity levels are always between 60% to 70% this was an issue when the colder weather set in. I purchased an ultrasonic Honeywell Humidifier to keep those temps constant and use an Ink bird humidity gauge to stop/start it if it gets to high or low.
  • Plants - I have a large pothos plant as well as two vinous plants that i know are safe but cant think of the name atm.
  • Placement - Hes located in my front sun room which i also have a multitude of other plants in. Hes in a low traffic corner (only traffic in that room is if youre going to do something with him or water the plants). The cage is on a high table which puts the top of the cage about 8 inches from the top of my head. Hes normally eye level or a little higher. The closest vent is on the opposite side of the room.
  • Location - I live in Buffalo NY.

Current Problem - Ive waited four days now to post this growing concern which deep down i feel like might just be boredom of crickets, but my 4 month old panther has just shown no interest in food lately. He went from ravaging 10 to 12 a day and pooping regularly and healthy to nothing for four days. If he does its maybe one or two. He is drinking regularly though, is active and moving around. Not napping or being lethargic. Day 2 of this figured he might be bored with crickets so i ordered dubia roaches and phoenix worms that come with it from our sponsor. Hes looking kinda skinny but as i said drinking just fine so im getting worried :( he is kind of pacing as well.
Is your Repashy Calcium Plus the plain one or the LoD one? Make the lights 12 hours of basking and uvb and 12 hours of complete darkness

He’s gorgeous! If he doesn’t like the new feeders, I would look into going to a vet. It could be what @JacksJill said, or something else, or he could just be tired of crickets

Is your Repashy Calcium Plus the plain one or the LoD one? Make the lights 12 hours of basking and uvb and 12 hours of complete darkness

Just the Calcium Plus no low D. And it's at about 11:45 minutes of both I just do it so he eases into the light cycle sort of as a Dawn dusk thing. I'll adjust those 15 minutes for sure though!

He pooped. Was clean and uriates were fine. First time in four days so that's a relief. Feeding the dubias tomorrow so lets hope he goes for them.

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_154822.jpg
    IMG_20181102_154822.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 73
Just the Calcium Plus no low D. And it's at about 11:45 minutes of both I just do it so he eases into the light cycle sort of as a Dawn dusk thing. I'll adjust those 15 minutes for sure though!
Wow, the Repashy Calcium Plus, the one supposedly without D3, has D3 in it! Go with what @JacksJill said

Attachments

• D229ADF0-5F12-4A29-A5B4-A6D6D5BA86BE.png
    D229ADF0-5F12-4A29-A5B4-A6D6D5BA86BE.png
    666.3 KB · Views: 74
It is considered an all in one supplement.
Yes, but it threw me off guard because they have LoD and HyD, supplements specifically marketed as having D3, this one is marketed as a D3-free supplement until you read the ingredients

Hai everyone. Something I thought might be happening did. My boy shed hard as heck while I was at work tonight. This was the only other thing I had maybe thought could be a possibility.

Did not go for the roaches lol

Yay for shedding! Might explain his hunger strike. Also might take a bit for him to get used to the dubias. From what I’ve read, dubias are superior to crickets. A varied diet, is a good diet :)

Back
Top Bottom